Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
doyle4281
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
doyle4281 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Collins Adapter RB20/25/26/30 350z 6 spd adapter....

Hello all, has anyone had any experience with the Collins Adapter transmission bellhousing adapter for the RB platform using the 350Z trans? I have not seen much information or real world installs, and the company doesn't offer much in the way of tech support. It does require the bellhousing to be machined down 14mm, and a few specific parts that need to be used, no big deal, however I still dont know if it really works. I feel more companies would be offering something similar if it was as simple as an adapter. Any info?
doyle4281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Have several friends that have used Collins' adapters to adapt Z trans to many applications; LS, RB, KA. They all worked.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
doyle4281
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Have several friends that have used Collins' adapters to adapt Z trans to many applications; LS, RB, KA. They all worked.
Thank you. There seem to many using Collins Adapters being used, however there is little to no information as it relates to the RB. From what I hear and from my correspondence with them, there is not a great deal of info provided my Collins directly. The only info I found is from an owner that had one with his RB25 and he mentioned the quality wasnt that great and transmission was clocked about 5% off of center. He used an adjustable shifter to correct this, however that is all the info I have been able to find thus far. I have seen a lot of info on other adapter, such as 2JZ, SR, LS, esc, just not RB.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
itsjustdaphne
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
itsjustdaphne is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
save yourself.... do not use collins....
Old 02-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
itsjustdaphne
Zilvia Addict

I got the adapter plate for 350z trans to sr20 in my old s14. I did exactly as they told me to and machined the bellhousing. It wouldnt line up, didn't have the dowel pins it was apparently supposed to come with, texted him he told me to read the instructions which I never even got, had to drill my own new holes, and didnt come with bolts. I would LITERALLY go through a pilot bushing PER WEEK and broke 2 clutches from being mis-aligned. Nothing that was my fault, and I got zero customer support to answer my questions. Never recommend.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
doyle4281
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustdaphne View Post
I got the adapter plate for 350z trans to sr20 in my old s14. I did exactly as they told me to and machined the bellhousing. It wouldnt line up, didn't have the dowel pins it was apparently supposed to come with, texted him he told me to read the instructions which I never even got, had to drill my own new holes, and didnt come with bolts. I would LITERALLY go through a pilot bushing PER WEEK and broke 2 clutches from being mis-aligned. Nothing that was my fault, and I got zero customer support to answer my questions. Never recommend.
Thank you for the heads up. I think I have found an alternative option
Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
itsjustdaphne
Zilvia Addict

Collins Adapter RB20/25/26/30 350z 6 spd adapter....

Im glad. Its just not worth it. I have heard that other setups are just fine for example your RB, but still not worth the risk.

Mazworx doesn't do an adapter plate to SR. They do a bellhousing that you swap over. Wish mazworx released it like a month sooner LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
itsjustdaphne
Zilvia Addict

I also just talked to Kevin Lawrence who had the RB plate and had same issues. So confirmed that it's not just SR plate that sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My buddy ia running a collins kit on is rb25

It is clocked to the left a couple degres . But the plate we have has dowel pins and no clutch or pilot bearing damage

The rx7 kit is something tho . I wont start on this cause its not in the op question but im staying away from collins from now on

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote