Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
s13turbohatch

Trader Rating: (0)
s13turbohatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA24DET head gasket questions

I'm doing my first engine build and decided to build a ka-t. I am clueless on choosing a head gasket size and ive searched for like 2 hours. The parts list is supertech 9:1 comp pistons .020 over bore, eagle rods, clevite main and rod bearings, ARP fasteners. With the block getting bored .020 over for the pistons i'm clueless on what sized head gasket to get. I've been looking at cometic but everyone gives them a bad rep. I'm open to any recomendations for a head gasket. As far as the engine goes its being built for boost. I have a t28 for it but plan on upgrading to an undecided bigger turbo.
s13turbohatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Stay away from the Cometic... You'll need a headgasket that is .5mm larger than your original one. I'm not sure what the KA bore is from the factory.

.020in = .5mm
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
c-los13
Zilvia Junkie

c-los13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock hd are good up 300hp.
c-los13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ya you would need a 90.5mm headgasket stock headgaskets are 89.5 i would go with the new cosworth if you can afford it or get a cometic til you can save up but since your doing a full engine build id just get the cosworth while your at it there known for there hi performance and high pressures of boost and roughly 170 dollars tunermt on here knows quite a bit about them and also sell them or go to brewedmotorsports.com
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is wrong with the cometic head gasket?
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
s13turbohatch

Thanks for the info! I like the idea of getting a cosworth i'd rather do it right with a quality head gasket the first time rather than pull the head later. I just looked one up real quick on 240sxmotoring.com, i don't care about the price if i'm getting what i pay for. But anyways the size was 90.5mm bore and 1.1mm thick. And as a few people said before that sounds like the perfect size? I'm guessing the 1.1mm thick wouldn't be a problem but then again i don't know what im talking about with head gaskets.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
s13turbohatch

And future plans for the engine are to go higher than 300bhp so oem is out of the question but Cosworth is a respectable trusted brand.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

ya the thicker the headgasket the lower your compression will be after its all put together not a huge difference but ya 90.5x1.1 will defiantly work and your welcome for the info good luck on the build
Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-los13 View Post
Stock hd are good up 300hp.
BS...if the engine is properly decked and matched evenly, you can push over 500hp on a stock HG with some ARP headstuds.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I used 20 over supertechs.
OEM bore felpro
Have beaten the shit out of it, and its holding up great. T3/T4 550cc enthalpy tune. 8.6:1 comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Stay away from the Cometic... You'll need a headgasket that is .5mm larger than your original one. I'm not sure what the KA bore is from the factory.

.020in = .5mm
You don't need one that is 20 over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13turbohatch View Post
And future plans for the engine are to go higher than 300bhp so oem is out of the question but Cosworth is a respectable trusted brand.
Your lack of experience is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
BS...if the engine is properly decked and matched evenly, you can push over 500hp on a stock HG with some ARP headstuds.
This man knows what he's talking about.
I guess this is zilvia.....

As for cometics, you have to look at that dynamic. Cheap asses aren't going to deck the head, and finish the blocks mating surfaces. A metal headgasket, by nature is going to be MUCH less forgiving. You don't have good surfaces you're fucked. OEM style crush gaskets aren't as picky with the sealing surfaces as they press into the material, it WANTS to seal.

Last edited by waxball88; 01-29-2012 at 04:07 PM..
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
You don't need one that is .20 over.
I know because that would be a huge variance in HG bore size from .020/.5mm. If he had his cyls bored .020 over, he needs a HG that is .5mm larger than his factory one.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
s13turbohatch

Obviously i don't have any expierence if this is my first engine build... no need to be an asshole. I'm here to figure out from expierenced people what is a good HG and what size i need. I was taking the word from the one guy that said oem will only hold 300hp, and yes my block is getting decked.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13turbohatch View Post
Obviously i don't have any expierence if this is my first engine build... no need to be an asshole. I'm here to figure out from expierenced people what is a good HG and what size i need. I was taking the word from the one guy that said oem will only hold 300hp, and yes my block is getting decked.
Sorry i failed to recognize you were the OP.
I'd go with a fel-pro based on my experience so far. You're running a t25, it'll be more than enough, and they are cheap. Can always upgrade in the future unless you wanna just put the chips up and go cometic, in which case just make sure you do it right.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
s13turbohatch

I plan on upgrading my turbo in the future and im making sure the mating serfaces on the head and block are perfect when i take them to the machine shop, so im pretty sure ill spend the money on a cosworth now in the building process rather than find problems for any reason later. And as far as the cosworth goes I only looked on one website and the bore was 90.5 on all then you could just choose different thicknesses. This is my first build and im learning things here and there but getting a 90.5 bore kinda makes sence to my knowledge but theres a good chance im incorrect.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

you would need the 90.5
stock bore of a kade is 89mm stock hg size is 89.5
so since you bored it out to 89.5mm you would need a hg .5 bigger than that which would be the 90mm hg but 90.5mm should work id ask when you order your gasket or bore it out another .5mm
just trying to clear this up and help you out and give you the theory

Last edited by 90240sx07; 01-30-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
s13turbohatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
you would need the 90.5
so since you bored it out to 90mm you would need a hg .5 bigger than that which would be the 90.5mm hg
Yes this is just the explaining I was looking for!! That clears up everything thanks for the help. I may make a build thread but it wont be much different than most bullet proof ka-t builds so I probably wont bother but I know I will have more questions later in the build. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Turbo Nismo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
Turbo Nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I had 3 cometic hg and the last 2 leaked. I'm not going to use cometic anymore, I'll go with a felpro and fire rings on all cylinders with Arp head studs like always.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
you would need the 90.5
so since you bored it out to 90mm you would need a hg .5 bigger than that which would be the 90.5mm hg
If he bored his motor .020/.5mm over, and stock KAs are 89, then he'd be at 89.5. Then ideally he needs a 90mm headgasket. Although I'm sure 90.5mm should be fine.

My only complaint with Cosworth headgaskets, is that they don't have a fire ring built in. Don't get me wrong, they are great headgaskets, but higher HP applications need that ring.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
the shop i used to work at had used cometic head gaskets with everything we built that a stock head gasket cannot handle(unless it was a honda engine that came with a stock metal head gasket). but if we bored out the engine bigger than a stock head gasket, we used cometic head gaskets. we used head studs and a product called hylomar. hylomar is like a spray adhesive that we applied on both sides of the metal head gaskets(even on stock honda metal head gaskets). it`s like copper spray but works way better. we had an sr20 powered 91 sentra that had cometic head gasket. i`ve built an ls vtec that was bored out to 87 mm(stock is 81 mm) that made 618 whp with cometic head gasket. like what waxball88 said, as long as both mating surfaces are resurfaced, cometic or metal head gaskets are perfectly ok, from my experience anyway.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
s13turbohatch

I found this on cosworth's website. It seems their HG is pretty good with even sealing, but i will only get that seal with perfect mating surfaces.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
s13turbohatch

The sealing almost seems too perfect to be true.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I ran a Cosworth on my last SR setup. Held up fine to my 400hp and daily flogging. Great gaskets for sure.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
s13turbohatch

Ok nice, thats what im going to go with the 90.5 bore 1.1mm thick. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
RealStreet
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
RealStreet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RealStreet Send a message via MSN to RealStreet
As mentioned before there is nothing wrong with the Cometic. If both mating surfaces are prepped correctly (ie decked) then you will be ok. If you blow one at that point chances are you where going to blow whatever headgasket was in there. It's always easy to blame somebody else. With that said the Cosworth unit is very good as well. The Cosworth headgasket is 90.5mm bore already, and Cometic can make it any thickness you want.
RealStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #25
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
when building my friends ka, we used the factory headgasket with the motor bored .020 over. that was over a year ago and still runs flat out without any problems.
I second what rcdad123 said about the hylomar spray. we used permatex copper on ours but i would most definitely use one of the two.
headgaskets are important and i know for a fact the stock one can handle upwards of 500hp, but if something catastrophic goes wrong with your motor, it's nice to have a weak link. i'd much rather pop a hg and spend the weekend replacing it rather than cracking a cylinder because i bought the strongest possible hg that i could find. that's just my opinion from personal experience.
AS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
Nkelley
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (10)
Nkelley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStreet View Post
As mentioned before there is nothing wrong with the Cometic. If both mating surfaces are prepped correctly (ie decked) then you will be ok. If you blow one at that point chances are you where going to blow whatever headgasket was in there. It's always easy to blame somebody else. With that said the Cosworth unit is very good as well. The Cosworth headgasket is 90.5mm bore already, and Cometic can make it any thickness you want.
OP make sure you specify with the machine shop that you are going to be using a metal headgasket, cometic requires a surface finish of at least 50ra for the gasket to seal properly.
Nkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
s13turbohatch

Thats a good point to have a weak link that if something goes wrong. That pushed me more towards just buying a felpro. I'm all over the place, I hate decisions.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
oero_ballin16
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
oero_ballin16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
im doing my first head gasket replacement, so im not to familiar with these things so bare with me, do you have to remove the fuel injectors and all that? or can it be worked around?
oero_ballin16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
s13turbohatch

I mean you will have to pull the head off, and taking off the intake manifold would only make it easier, And you might as well remove the manifold with the fuel injectors still connected.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #30
kickahlick

kickahlick is an unknown quantity at this point
has anybody looked into the new tomei mls head gaskets and if im building a ka-t which one of these size gaskets should I use 1.0 , 1.2 , 1.5 they are all 90.0
kickahlick is offline   Reply With Quote