Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #121
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
CaBS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The next few weeks were really flat out I'd spent a good 30 hours a week on the rest of the spot welding prep. The chassis is all but ready to go. I've removed both front tow hooks and also the rear tow hook. The front bonnet latch bracket has also been taken off (not in the pictures). Lockable pins will replace this and also allow for better airflow to the radiator/fmic.

The doors and hatch need to be removed before the shell gets taken away for welding next weekend.
The new guards are on their way over from japan currently. Should arrive this week sometime with any luck! New suspension arms are also on their way. Picked up some new longer studs and a nismo radiator cap.

Anyhow some pics of the car from this stage.

Reping the NS hat. Has turned into a work on the car keep grinding dust/sparks out of my hair hat now :P

Rear toe hook delete. Its unuseable with the rear bar on anyways so dead weight.

SXDevelopments on Facebook
CaBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #122
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

So the guards arrived afew days after this with the courier woke me up with repeated doorbell smashings :P
I was very keen to open them up and check for damage cause they're obviously fiberglass and very easy to harm in transit. Especially after the other guards turned up damaged. They made it in one piece though whooohooo!

I didnt realise when I ordered them but they actually have koguchi power in the mould on the top of the guards. Not sure if I like this or not but it should be pretty easy to block out of the surface anyhow if I decide to. Unfortunately there was no subframe in at that point so I couldn't do any test fitment but visually they're much larger already.
1x sticker as well which will be going straight on the toolbox.

Very happy with the fit, finish and overall quality of these guards they should look awesome as part of the finished product! (imho) Also dont think I've seen them on any other cars before in person which is kinda cool. :P

Some pics

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #123
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Here are some pics of all the SPL gear that turned up. Thanks to Peter from JDM Obsession. I placed the order via email, got a quote, paid the dollars and it turned up at my front door a few weeks later.
Very happy with the quality of the gear and the service!

Some photos.

Xmas came early. =)

The boxes are strictly business. No money wasted on pretty packaging.

Solid rear subframe bushings all off the gear came with detailed instructions with torque settings for things to be done up and and explaining different settings if the item has them. These solid bushes while allowing me to fit an S14/15 subframe into an S13 chassis, also allow for several different roll center adjustments. I didn't realise this when I ordered them pretty cool though!

Ball bearing knuckle bushes. Will let me bin the urethane ones I have in my knuckles now which are chronically bad for binding up. Which is quite detrimental to handling and feel.

SPL Tie rods these can be ordered to suit larger aftermarket tie rods or stock ones. They also allow me to adjust bump steer by spacing up and down the tie rod angles so the arch matches the LCA's arch better.

Rear toe arms nice and strong come with a kink in them for extra clearance on super low cars (might be useful to me further down the track)

They dont look that thick in the photos but put my finger in the shot for some scale. :P

Traction arms just to match the others. These will help tune out bump steer in the rear when everything is set up.

S14 rear camber arms again with the angle added for extra clearance and moving to a half moon style so some extra weight saving over the full moon S13 style upper arms.

Front castor rods thick as f**k! Even come with two small threads in the body of them and two small bolts to mount your brake air deflectors to them.

I'll be using all this gear along with Nismo S14 LCA's and modified stock S15 rear LCA's as my suspension arms cant wait to get it all on! =)
I cant wait to see what SPL's new adjustable LCA's look like they're not out yet though.

More soon!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #124
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Mucking around with the new suspension parts tonight. Pulled out the new tie rods and had a play around with them put them together with the suggested setting for most cars with standard knuckles. Also took some detailed photos with a 20c piece for some scale to show just how thick they are.

The castor rods are I think they're made form billet alloy with stainless rod ends and titanium fittings. The others arms are steel slightly thinner with the same fittings.

Castor Rod

Castor Rod

Toe Rod

Tie Rod Ends

Last edited by CaBS; 05-15-2012 at 09:51 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #125
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te37 View Post
Please tell me you did it right and went with spl?
I knew it!
Te37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #126
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

lol ease up!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #127
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

A local photo shoot and clip done of the other two "finished" SXD cars.

S-CHASSIS SIBLING RIVALRY on Vimeo

HEADLINER: S-CHASSIS SIBLING RIVALRY – THE-LOWDOWN

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #128
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
That's some seriously well done production in that edit!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #129
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
That's some seriously well done production in that edit!
Your not wrong we're pretty happy with how it turned out!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #130
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

I went up to bunnings afew days later and bought two saw horses. I've wrapped them with tape and some old foam I had to rest the doors on. Worked quite well.
I weighed one of the doors with no mirror or door trim and no speaker in it. This was only on some $10 dodgey bathroom scales but it came in at 27kg so realistically they're easily 30kg-35kg each to begin with. I've also unbolted the hatch ready to be taken off. Once the gas struts were unhooked it starts to come to light just how heavy these hatches are! I have to try to lift the bastard and its still pivoting off the hinges!

My best guess is this thing is going to weigh in around the 30kg+ mark.

Another package arrived containing some new genuine nissan typex lights and an apexi metal head gasket for the new motor. The lights look shmick as and are going to be set off by the colour I have planned. =)

Fingers crossed the weather holds out tomorrow. If it does the bare shell is going for a trailer ride! =)

More soon!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #131
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

The next day I had off didnt go as planned exactly. I got a fair amount of work done on the car though. Both doors are now off. It took me a good solid hour of cleaning with multiple rags to get the tar that they glue on the plastic under the door trims on with off one door. This shit is nasty! I went through a good 300ml of prepsol just on the one door!

I pulled the power steering rack off the front cross member also as the cross member needed to be refitted to tie the shell down when we trailer it.

Moving the car failed though as the trailer we'd planned to use turned out to have lapsed rego! Doh. Booked it in to have another go on the following Saturday morning, weather permitting!

Can anyone feel a draft from somewhere? :P

After 1 part prepsol 2 part elbow grease

This is the other door I havent touched yet. There is actually like half as much on this one as was on the other. I really hate this stuff its worse than sound deadening! :P

Dirty door

Clean(ish) door

Front bonnet leaver bracket removed. Will be running pins now. You can see the surface area of radiator without any obstructions now is as big as it gets. Should be a tad better flow now.

Front cross member refitted. Believe it or not this has actually had a good dose of degreaser and afew rags thrown at it already. Needs the full kero bath to get it really clean.

More soon!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #132
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

So finally a more detailed update. The second half of my package arrived from overseas with some new goodies for the build or just the car in general. Also with the help of 7 mates (thanks boys!) we managed to get the car on the trailer and off again.

I recorded the whole thing on my video camera but need some software capable of speeding the footage up 10 fold otherwise the 90mins of footage will bore everyone to death windows movie maker cant do this doh!

Lots of pics!

New pimp 4" face longacre tyre pressure gauge+case. Cant wait to use this.

Racerparts wholesale delux 60mm gauge.

Splash low profile steering boss to go with a new wheel. I've yet to decide on the exact model though.

These come with all the fittings etc. Assuming the ball joints turn out to be good quality I'll be buying these again! I've always had stock rear strut tops on the Bilsteins. Should get slightly more travel with these.

Allot light weight rice pulleys

Duracon tomei gear knob

Dif pawn gearknob I'll be using this one perfect fit in my hand.

Mazworx 1/2" head studs

Mazworx main studs

Rice wheel nuts. These are steel so they can be rattled.

New nissan OEM rocker arms

Hitch hiker was freeloading on the trailer!

On the trailer for its next voyage!

Welding started the next day couldnt wait to get stuck into it. I spent all arvo over at the workshop cleaning off the surface rust ready to go!

More soon.

Last edited by CaBS; 05-17-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Old 05-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #133
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

So the welding is well under way pretty happy with how the TIG is coming out its very neat compaired to some cars you see and will only require minimal cleanup. We will still have to MIG some areas as the TIG is crappy at filling holes/gaps.

Trying to stay ahead of Andrew with the prep so he isnt waiting on me. So far so good!
Couldnt wait to go and get stuck into it again. Also ordered a carbon hatch on NS which I ended up freaking out abit over as I'd sent the guy my money and didnt get the Item for ages longer than was originally talked about.

Hard to get good shots and avoid welding flash! :P

Its cool how the smoke gets lit up electric blue. Makes Andrew look like some sort of mad scientist at work :P

mmmm veins

Needed to take off abit more paint as it kept catching on fire.

These will look mint once cleaned up! Will hardly know they're done!

The thinner metal caused some dramas but will finish ok with some cleanup.

More soon!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #134
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

I put some more hours into the car over the xmas period. We didnt get a chance to do much more welding at this point but I'd cleaned up the areas that were already done. Some in part and some ready to be primed. Also have removed 3 out of the 4 seat belt mounts with the linager in the rear. We tryed a spot weld drill bit and after drilling a hole straight through the floor decided to return the the linager. :P
The weekend following it would get another 10 hours plus from me alone to get it moving more.
Also needed to go and pickup the new S15 subframe I'd sourced and get moving on that.

Some pics!

Given some wirebrush to take off the (most) of the burnt paint and ****ness.

Same again

The towers after a grind and brush came up awesomely once these are sealed they're going to look exactly how I'd hoped! =D

Mount gone

The last remaining one with the spots dug out from sealant ready to be attacked.

Deleting these should allow my harness mounts to go in close to weight neutral.

Goooooone

Not sure how many of you have seen an S13 front end apart but these layers of metal were knowhere near each other to begin with! Beat them all together so they weld up nicely!

Back on the hoist

More soon! =)

Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #135
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

The hatch I'd ordered turned up undamaged just after this. I still didnt hear anything back from the guy though. I guess he was just lazy with sending it. Cant wait to test fit hopefully the fit is reasonable!
Weighs in at 4.5kg the finish looks quiet good there are some small imperfections but this hatch came at the fraction of the cost of others from overseas so I cant complain too much.

The hard part will be getting it to the shop without damaging it. For a trial fit it and see how close it is. (fingers crossed its pretty good)

Some shots of the hatch.

I can probably cut abit of weight out of it with a hole saw without losing much strength. I hope to have it at 4kg before it goes onto the car.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #136
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
God I love where this build is going! The attention to details is amazing!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #137
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
excellent build man, glad to see you went with spl parts. i've got the same rear bushings to run an s14 subframe in my s13 and they're awesome. their gear is top notch and you won't regret it.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #138
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Brought in the new year had an awesome night and a mad view of the fireworks! :P

After this I picked up the S15 subframe and dash from a mate (thanks Pat). They both fitted in the back of the daily with the seats all folded down no probs. I cant decide whether to use this dash or go with the S13 one as I do like both for different reasons. I have the luxury of either now though. The end goal is to make a custom S13 dash from carbon but there is alot of time involved in doing that to a standard I'm happy with so I'll most probably be goin with the S15 one in the mean time.

I started working on the subframe removing all the stock nissan welding crud and excess blobbage there is everywhere on them. The end result should be a super smooth finish once its all painted up.

I also need to source some urethane diff bushes and go pickup a special tool which supposedly makes removing the subframe bushes a piece of piss.

This is the airbag assembly as is surprisingly heavy (around 8kg)

These will be replaced with the SPL offset bushes posted earlier.

This is why your better off with stock bushes instead of urethane ones. These were so stiff you had to stand on them to get the arms to move! The new setup will have all rose jointed + stock style bushes in the LCA's so binding like this shouldn't be an issue.

Top half attacked with the linager. You can see just how much crap they have on them from factory from all the shiny bits. =)

More soon!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #139
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Anyhow an update on what was working on the next few days which was the rear subframe still. I've finished linaging off off the factory welding blobbage now. Spent the better part of a whole day removing the subframe bushes. Finally got them out though with some help from Tim and Andrew, cheers!

The next day I went through the weld on subframe kit I got and worked out where all the bits go. You can see how this will make a difference to the strength of the frame but gusseting just about everything. The next step is tracing out where they go and cleaning off all the paint of the frame +bits to be welded.

Pics.

Core drill

We ended up having much more sucess with the others by first drilling out the rubber with a 10mm drill bit then using the core drill with water and wd40 for lubeness.

First one took the same amount of time as the other three did total cause we didnt drill it first. Also mad way more mess cause of all the heat.

As you can see here =)

I was to focussed on getting these out to get any during shots. I'm never doing this job again though it sucked major balls (hairy ones)

All out, had a celebratory beer.

Not sure if we'll use this piece yet as its doubtful if its going to add much rigidity and it weighs abit.

The subframe bushes need to go into the freezer to shrink them as much as possible to help get them in.

Cleaning of the paint ready to be welded.

Deleted a stock tab/bracket welded onto the subframe too as we wont need it anymore.

More updates next week.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #140
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

So the following morning Andrew and I used the frankentool to squeeze the new offset billet alloy bushes into the frame after working out which way to out them in. This required a frapper drilling out the insides of the holes to clean off burrs and excess metal so they'd slide in. It also required us to linage the hard tapered edge off the bushes themselves.

I also wire brushed the new welded on guessets which were done the day before. I'll be cleaning up the welds with the later.

The next step was to test fit the thing and see if it would actually go on! There was good news and bad news. The good news was the offsets were correct and the frame would actually fit onto the pins. The bad news was it fouls on the car before it bottoms out. The front of the subframe hits on the floor of the car in a big way without any of the spacers in.

Anyhow some pics of all the "action".

All braced up

Another angle

Not nearly as much we can do to the front one.

There was still lots of factory blobbage to clean up.

Frankentool + frozen alloy bush.

First one in after more linaging and frapper drilling +marine grease.

Two down.

Closeup of the bush holes after being cleaned up with the frapper bit.

All in ready for test fit.

Complete one job and find another one!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #141
spray2020
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
spray2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wish I had enough money for Andrew to help sponsor/build a s13 silvia coupe with me

After your car is finished (or put back together and ready for track testing), who car is the next shop whore?
spray2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #142
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spray2020 View Post
I wish I had enough money for Andrew to help sponsor/build a s13 silvia coupe with me

After your car is finished (or put back together and ready for track testing), who car is the next shop whore?
Andrews very own 260Z with an off its tree L-series straight 6. Cant wait!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #143
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Another update, I'd been working on removal of the standard diff bushes and cleaning up the standard cap which must be reused to fit the new aftermarket urethane bushes. I've also started modifying the floor so the S15 rear sub frame will fit in. Its not far off fitting now but the floor needs some proper panel panel beating to make it look a lot neater as it currently looks like shit. I'm not 100% sure its going to be fixable so we might have to cut it and and box the section. Excuse the pics they were camera phone specials.

Some pics.

More soon.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #144
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

We were discussing using a wilwood pedal box for my brakes and we did a mockup fit of the pedal.

This would allow me to ditch the booster from the engine bay which is both heavy and ugly and also hopefully provide a very precise and easy to modulate brake feel. Still need to do more research into this though.

Andrew was able to spend some more time spot welding this week and we're hoping no other jobs get in the way of finishing off the rest of it this week. Also headed to Bodyform to discuss the bodywork and racetech steel to pickup some supplies we need.

More soon!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #145
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Got weld!?

Why yes! =)

Probably around 80% completed the spot welding at this point. Wasn't too much more to go before the cleanup could begin on it all.

I buggered up beating out the floor. If it doesn't turn out better I'll need to resort to cutting it out and welding a boxed section in. I have afew ideas on howto make this look ok if it has to happen.

This poor little wire brush has had a hard life. The one next to it isn't full size either!

I removed the rear hatch lock which will now be replaced with lockable flush pins.
I also ordered something from japan was pretty excited about it actually not that anyone else will be :P

Made a rough pizza box template of how I'd like the floor box to be if we have to take that route.

To hide this not so handy amateur panel beating work :P

Getting rid of some sharp edges.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #146
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
cool stuff.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #147
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaBS View Post

Oh fuck me.......I'm in on this.Subscribed!
These will be my future purchase on mine.
Please tell me the Hood is in the future also
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #148
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
cool stuff.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFairlady View Post
Oh fuck me.......I'm in on this.Subscribed!
These will be my future purchase on mine.
Please tell me the Hood is in the future also
There will be a carbon bonnet for it before its done yeh...

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #149
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
this is awesome
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #150
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black240Ct View Post