Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Canada > Alberta

Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
RedTopDrifter01

Trader Rating: (0)
RedTopDrifter01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 why does my SR20det run 10psi when should 7psi stock

hello i have a 91 s13 silvia and its totally stock except hks intake and hks exhaust, but it runs 10psi instead of 7psi which is stock amount what could be wrong? it dosent have a boost controler just boost gauge and the gauges vaccum source is the right place. Anyone know why it does this? the car also has hesitation when giving it gas quickly istead of graduatly even though it spools up quick when stepping on it still hesitates.
RedTopDrifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WISH ONE
check all your vacuum lines for any obstructions, sometimes people put restrictors in the vac lines to increase boost.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
who put the turbo on? check your gate on the turbo... make sure there are no (extra) washers where the bulk of it bolts up. It's a ghetto boost adjustment most people do to get 3 more psi out of their turbo.

That's how mine is, I boost 10lbs.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i thought oem boost is 11psi factory...the wastegate is set for 7psi spring

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
hailandkill
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
hailandkill is on the path to ruinhailandkill is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
who put the turbo on? check your gate on the turbo... make sure there are no (extra) washers where the bulk of it bolts up. It's a ghetto boost adjustment most people do to get 3 more psi out of their turbo.

That's how mine is, I boost 10lbs.
OT but do you have a pic of this?
hailandkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
They run 12lbs from the factory, FYI. Most people don't have the BOOST SOLENOID, which causes them to run 7lbs.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
Team DET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Team DET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
OT but do you have a pic of this?
i second that
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
They run 12lbs from the factory, FYI. Most people don't have the BOOST SOLENOID, which causes them to run 7lbs.
This is correct... except I believe stock is 11lbs.

Could be wrong.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
Well pretty sure its set at 11lbs and he is ALSO from Canada and says it is a silvia which in turn COULD MEAN he has a rhd imported s13. Which COULD MEAN he didnt do any swap so it came with the sr20 which in turn WOULD most likely have the factory BOOST SOLENOID.

BUT he didnt specify so cant really tell ya.

just read this:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/208005...4-sr20det.html

Check your routing something is fudged.

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
RedTopDrifter01

RedTopDrifter01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes exacly I'm from Canada and it is a end with factory motor and the solinoid it should run 7like to of my other friends silvias and they are stock to just the same as me
RedTopDrifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTopDrifter01 View Post
Yes exacly I'm from Canada and it is a end with factory motor and the solinoid it should run 7like to of my other friends silvias and they are stock to just the same as me
NO.

If you have the factory solenoid you will run 11psi.

If you run straight off the wastegate you'll only get 7psi.

PS. Try to punctuate. Your shit makes no sense.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
sr20silvia91

sr20silvia91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysk8er2 View Post
Well pretty sure its set at 11lbs and he is ALSO from Canada and says it is a silvia which in turn COULD MEAN he has a rhd imported s13. Which COULD MEAN he didnt do any swap so it came with the sr20 which in turn WOULD most likely have the factory BOOST SOLENOID.

BUT he didnt specify so cant really tell ya.

just read this:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/208005...4-sr20det.html

Check your routing something is fudged.

newb question... i checked my car and my wastegate has a tube going to the manifold plastic then that means i dont have a factory boost selinoid, right? if so am i getting robbed of boost? and if i dont have one can i replace it with a manual boost contoler?
sr20silvia91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
reeskm
Leaky Injector

reeskm is an unknown quantity at this point
The factory had pretty poor boost control. It's designed to only work with the stock intake and exhaust. As soon as I put on a 3" turbo back exhaust and huge cone k&n filter, and replaced all my vacuum lines, I got 10 or 11 psi.

AFAI, there is a "hack" that gets you most boost from the factory. It involves removing a factory restriction that is hidden in a vac line going to the waste gate solenoid. Replacing this and your vac lines will give you a boost increase of 3psi or so.

Skyline GTRs had a red restriction you could remove that would increase the boost. It was there to decrease stock HP but could be removed in seconds to give you free factory boost. It seems the JDM market S13s had the same deal. Too bad I threw out all that junk years ago otherwise I'd go hunting for the specific line and take a photo for you.
reeskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Stock factory boost Is 7 psi. I've owned 7 sr20's. I've swapped them all In my self and watched them boost 6-7 psi. You should look for a bent/tweaked Actuator arm. That's a common trick people use to up the boost a few pounds or check for added washers on the acuator mounting bolts. I added spacers with 3 inch elbow,down pipe and straight pipe and I held a steady 12 psi. without spacers and the same exhaust set-up It held a steady 7 psi.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD View Post
NO.

If you have the factory solenoid you will run 11psi.

If you run straight off the wastegate you'll only get 7psi.

PS. Try to punctuate. Your shit makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25_s13*CHUKI View Post
Stock factory boost Is 7 psi. I've owned 7 sr20's. I've swapped them all In my self and watched them boost 6-7 psi. You should look for a bent/tweaked Actuator arm. That's a common trick people use to up the boost a few pounds or check for added washers on the acuator mounting bolts. I added spacers with 3 inch elbow,down pipe and straight pipe and I held a steady 12 psi. without spacers and the same exhaust set-up It held a steady 7 psi.

Maybe people will learn one day that stock boost for an SR is NOT, I repeat NOT 7LBS
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 AM   #16
Sako
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (30)
Sako is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
I had a JDM S13 with the original SR that came in it from the factory, and I was getting 11 lbs of boost. Most people that do SR swaps don't install the factory boost solenoid because it's mounted on the shock tower, and since they buy a motor and not a clip, they don't get the boost solenoid. Also, as reeskm said, there was a factory restrictor in one of the lines. It is usually found in the line that goes from the boost solenoid to where it's tee'd off. It can be easily located by looking for a white band towards the end of the vacuum line. Removing this line and replacing it with a normal vacuum line gets you 11 lbs. The car will only boost 7 lbs if the wastegate is connected directly (which is not the way it comes from the factory) since the spring is set for 7 lbs.
Sako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Leroy_Stickshift

Leroy_Stickshift is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Leroy_Stickshift

this is how i ran my vaccuum lines.

no solenoid's or charcoal canister.
Leroy_Stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
Leroy_Stickshift

Leroy_Stickshift is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Leroy_Stickshift

and thats where your boost solenoid/ignitor/other shit is located. i believe its the one connected to the green clip? maybe its both??

im sure someone else in here can clarify, pictures always help though
Leroy_Stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #19
1990 sr hatch
Zilvia Member

1990 sr hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy_Stickshift View Post

this is how i ran my vaccuum lines.

no solenoid's or charcoal canister.
what is the third port under the throtle body used for? im in need of knowledge i have a blacktop if this helps
1990 sr hatch is offline   Reply With Quote