Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Another "alternator not charging" thread

Opening this thread again because i'm having another issue.

First things first. S13 with a KA24DE.
Quest alternator, full speedhut gauges. (Been running this set up for a few years so nothing new).

The white/red wire has power from the cluster sub harness to the alternator. Never had an issue until recently. Charges around 11.5-12 volts which is the normal for the shitty Nissan design when the exciter wire tells it not to up the voltage.

The 75A fuse in the fuse box is good as well.

Alternator has the stock engine ground connected as well as another 8G ground to chassis

Can anybody confirm or deny there is some relay by the driver side kick panel that may have gone bad? Or should I just wire the red/white wire to switch ignition power?

Last edited by tuzzio; 05-15-2018 at 08:02 AM..
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
metako42

Trader Rating: (0)
metako42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Even though I know you say the alternator has only 11.8V its worth trying a jumper cable from the alternator to the battery positive to bypass the fusible link and retesting as the connections underneath the fusible link can also go bad, as I've recently discovered.

I also don't use the factory cluster but I do have the alt light connected and if the above doesn't work then it would be failry easy to connect up a temporary 12V bulb and see if that fixes the problem.
metako42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Fixed the issue.

I forgot to mention my fusebox is in my glovebox, after a bit of thought I started digging around and noticed a 8 or 10 pin connector coming from that area came unplugged from the lower harness. Must've just popped out when I was putting the dash back in.

See above for new issue.

Last edited by tuzzio; 05-15-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Old 05-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Opened this back up, as I am having issues again

Edit: Closing again. Here are my results.

After tons of digging and testing, turns out my alternator randomly shit the bed. While most people would start there, I was convinced it was the wiring as its known to go faulty.

I found while testing the alternator plug:
With the key off, the white/red wire should have no power. With the key on it should have voltage, similar or identical to the white wire next to it.
With the key off, the white wire had power, 11.3 or so volts. With the key on, 11.3 or so.

This should indicate there is no issue with the wiring as it is communicating to the alternator.

I did a diode test, and it passed with my multimeter. But when autozone tested it it failed. /thread.

Last edited by tuzzio; 05-16-2018 at 08:05 AM..