Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
cbates14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
cbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cbates14
Question S30 "subframe" bushings/spacers/collars?

i jacked up the rear end of the Z ('78 280z) and noticed that there's some, well actually a lot of play in the diff carrier bushing. i know the 240sx's have a full subframe that can be stiffened with collars/spacers. i'm not really sure if the same kind of upgrade is available for the s30. also, i'm not quite sure if the bushings are worn, or supposed to have that much play.

i searched for "240z/280z subframe collars/bushings" but havent found anything yet.

any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!

cbates14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
zylvia213
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (36)
zylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zylvia213
S30 do not have rear subframes like the s13. Those pics of the bushing are definately worn out bro. Get some polyurathane ones from Motorsportsauto. Also check the diff mount most likely its out aswell and also check the support belt located on top of the diff nose. That belt gets so toasted after so many years that they rip. You can also purchase a solid diff mount but it can get prett noisey. Try to replase those bushings cause if you keep driving the car like that you might fuck up the diff. Have you thought of swapping to an LSD from a Z31????
zylvia213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
cbates14
Leaky Injector

cbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond repute
thanks a ton for the valuable advise. the s30 is a whole new game for me, unlike my s14.

now that i know that poly and slid bushings do exist, i'll probably go with the poly ones, just due the fact that i'm not building a full-out racecar. i'd like to preserve the car's structure and frame as well, and think that poly bushings would be easier on it rather than the solid aluminum ones.

since you asked about the z31 LSD, i'm assuming its a direct swap?

edit: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC06D/23-4139 <-- is this the correct kit that would replace the bushings in question?

Last edited by cbates14; 08-06-2008 at 10:42 PM..
cbates14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
zylvia213
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (36)
zylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zylvia213
Yes that would be the correct kit. Now Motorsportsauto does sell a complete polyurathane kit for the S30 which includes the entire front and rear bushings including the mustache bar bushings... i would probably go with the whole kit and its not that expensive.

Now as for the Z31 lsd.... well its kinda of ah direct bolt on.... you will need the following:

1. Z31 diff which i believe come out of the 86-87 turbo 300zx.

2. The diff cover has fins that will not clear the stock mustache bar so you have 3 options.

a. keep the finned cover and purchase aluminum custom mustache brace from ArizonaZcar. com
b. Just swap covers and use a regular open diff cover from an R200 which will completely clear the mustache bar
c. Shave some of the fins off w/ a grinder to make them clear.

Using the finned cover is an advantage because keeps oil cooler and i believe holds more capacity of oil. The aluminum custom brace is kinda of pricey but it looks beautiful and allows you to use finned cover.

3. Stub axels need to be swaped. You need to use the stub axels from your stock R200 diff or else the ones on the Z31 diff wont mate to your half shafts.

4. The pinion flange on the Z31 diff needs to be swapped with the stock one on your diff or else your drive shaft wont mate up to bolt on.

Other than that i think its pretty much it. Its a very simple swap its just finding this diff at the junk yards cause if you buy online from some one shit they go anywhere from $400-$600 used.

Let me know bro if you need more info or advised... im not a professional but i spend endless hours on Z's in the past.

Last edited by zylvia213; 08-08-2008 at 12:11 AM..
zylvia213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
cbates14
Leaky Injector

whoa.. thanks a ton for the info! you saved me some major time and hassle!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
WizardBlack

Trader Rating: (0)
WizardBlack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just buy the full Energy Suspension bushing kit. It's pretty cheap and helps out quite a bit. Don't use the T/C Rod bushings, however. Too much bind; a T/C rod can fail. IMHO adjustable rod-end T/C arms from TechnoToyTuning should be a first mod to avoid any catastrophic failures and give you some much-needed adjustability.
Likewise, you can use a Z32 or Q45 differential which is very tough. It takes a bit more in (expensive) parts, but you should never worry about breaking. Suspension bits are pricey for the S30 since there is a much smaller market and fewer suppliers.

EDIT: Likewise, you can PM or email me anytime if you have questions. S30 guys are very knowledgable and helpful since there are few of us. Hybridz.org is a really good site to look at, but don't post a question without searching extensively. I use the same username on there as well. There is just about any type of custom mod you can imagine on there. Tube frame, new framework, custom engineered "one-off" suspension, etc. Just about every engine you can imagine has made it's way into the S30; she kinda "gets around". :-)
WizardBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
DUDEIDONTHAVEA240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DUDEIDONTHAVEA240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just want to add that you can visit this site
Datsun/Nissan 240z / 260z / 280z S30 Zcar Tech Tips for A LOT of info on how to install those mustache bar bushings and all others. Theres really good info on there.
DUDEIDONTHAVEA240 is offline   Reply With Quote