Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
kidbandikoot
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
kidbandikoot is making a name for him/her selfkidbandikoot is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
s14 z engine in an s14

any and all info
you might have

stock tranny? custom drive shaft?

thanx
kidbandikoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Z-what? Z31, 32, 33??? For the most part, youd need custom engine mounts, tranny mounts, wiring and custom drive shaft to begin with...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
superduner
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
superduner can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
are you serious ! :P id love to see how much you have to extend your front end to fit in the inline 6 (if ur thinking L series. v6 300zx thats another story) if you do get something of this sort. you should do a step by step or take pics of what you did maybe itl get sticky'ed out
Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
s14freak
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
s14freak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduner View Post
are you serious ! :P id love to see how much you have to extend your front end to fit in the inline 6 (if ur thinking L series. v6 300zx thats another story) if you do get something of this sort. you should do a step by step or take pics of what you did maybe itl get sticky'ed out

People put straight sixes in S14s all the time. A buddy of mine has an RB20 in an S14. No frame modifications at all.
s14freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
alzahakar
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
alzahakar has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14freak View Post
People put straight sixes in S14s all the time. A buddy of mine has an RB20 in an S14. No frame modifications at all.

Yea, if you really read the post, you would see that he was referring to the old L-series inline six from the old Datsun Z cars. I believe they are a bit longer than the RB series.
alzahakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
s14freak
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
s14freak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzahakar View Post
Yea, if you really read the post, you would see that he was referring to the old L-series inline six from the old Datsun Z cars. I believe they are a bit longer than the RB series.
I realize that. I was just mentioning that straight sixes in general have been going into the S chassis for quite some time, all kinds of them, even the L series. YouTube it, they're there. Just because someone on this site hasn't done it doesn't mean it hasn't been done. I'm not very familiar with L series motors, but if you can put a 2JZ in a 240, it can be done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOJdVfv8eM

Last edited by s14freak; 01-02-2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: more information
s14freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Howlermonkey
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Howlermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I fitted a L28et into a S13 back in 1994.

I used the stock fs5w71b tranny that came in the 280zx.

Most any car I do gets a custom driveshaft. I like to stay with a one piece and replace any center bearing driveshaft with the one piece.

Mounts are close but sump needs a little bit of work and you have to make a custom turbo elbow to clear the steering shaft and I seem to remember that I had to lay the rack down a little to clear the T3 so a bigger turbo might net you clearance problems.

It was a long time ago so details are sketchy.

I put L series six cylinder engines into all of my nissans including my M30/Leopard.

Luckily I dont' own a 510 or I would be in for a lot of fabrication.

Last edited by Howlermonkey; 01-24-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Howlermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
moss13

moss13 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^Howlermonkey did you have issues with the oil pan clearance? How'd you get around it?.TIA.^^^

We're doing an l28 in an S13. It mates up with the ka manual tranny fine. Maybe using a shorter automatic driveshaft to pull the engine back 2-3 inches. One of our problems, is the oil pan clearance. Sticking with the current Su's and stepping up to Weber's later.
moss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Howlermonkey
Leaky Injector

There's a build thread out there somewhere on this but I had the rear of the engine only about 3/4 of an inch in front of the firewall and I believe I only hit the swaybar which was relieved by pounding the pan in only slightly.

I used a first generation maxima oil pan which is a front sump pan but I think the datsun 810 had the same pan.

You might be able to do some experimenting with crossmembers for a rear sump engine like a Z31 but not sure about the rack's distance from the control arms with that setup.

Here's a thread from hybrid done pretty recently.

l28et swap in a s13 240sx - HybridZ
Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Wow man you did a great job I would like to see more pics and info if you don't mind
Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Howlermonkey
Leaky Injector

My current project is a L28et into a infiniti M30.

Went in easy as pie and turbo stuff clears steering gear and crossmember easy.

Popped the tranny on the first drive a couple of days ago and am waiting for the ups man to bring me the clutch frictions and seal kit for the worked 3n71b auto with high stall speed torque convertor.

Same type of mods required to fit L28 as in S13/14.

Engine mounts have to be cut down because engine is too high.

Have to switch over to front sump oil pan and extend pickup and make custom turbo drain.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
dunno,

the real qustion is why? at best the Sohc L28et will do what ....? 300whp @best 500whp with alot of custom parts....

RB25det swap = 300whp from the box

2JZ-GTE (not GE BS) is 280bhp stock with cams + DP + 15psi of boost that an easy 380-420 whp (USDM turbos)

oh well every one has his own
Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
Howlermonkey
Leaky Injector

My total expenditure on this car including purchase price is 1400 dollars and it's good for 270hp the way it sits which is 110hp more than it had when stock.

It's unbelievably quiet, easy to drive and pretty damn fast with the a 3n71b auto and high stall speed convertor.

I have a L28et F54 block with td06-20g, forged pistons, and a worked P90 head with a good cam on the engine stand in case I want to make 450hp but my goals for this car are different and the extra budget numbers work against the spirit of this project.

I'm still mulling over whether to fit the FS5R30 tranny into this car using the adapter I bought from Austin Hoke at hybridz but that depends on whether the 3n71b being worked on my kitchen table holds up but that will add 600 bucks to the project bottom line.

Sure I could build a 1000hp RB30 with RB26 head but my goal is to use a 1981 engine in a 1991 car running on a 2001 ecu and pass 50 state emissions with it in leather lined comfort with working A/C and power steering.

I can also flash new tunes to this ecu with a vetronix master tech, blue streak iFlash, blue streak global programmer, or a host of other programmer/scan tools without doing anything more than hooking it up to the obdII connector.

Who knows.....maybe the big engine will end up in a 240sx but I would rather try to fit it to a s12.

Anyway .......back to L28et into 240sx.

I would recommend using the fs5w71b tranny over the T-5 and, depending on where the bellhousing sits with stock motor (don't remember), you might get away with using the stock 240sx driveshaft.

If you are using the 280zx turbo automatic, you would either need to fit that tranny specific yoke to the 240sx driveshaft or lengthen the 280zx turbo driveshaft as well as fit the rear u-joint and flange to the lengthened driveshaft since I'm not sure if the 280zx turbo specific flange can be swapped into the short nose r200.