Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Bsm_chich
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Bsm_chich is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S13 Digital Cluster HELP.

Hey guys, I need help with this issue with my digital cluster.

So let me give you a little bit of a back story on this issue.
The cluster has had the capacitor replaced yesterday by me. There's no question about if the job was done correctly I've been soldering on circuit boards for 11 years. I don't have the radial capacitors that are shown on the how to guide that is demonstrated on Nico. I actually have the aluminum electrolytic one, the same one that Nissan installed on these units. All my work is done in a static free environment.

After finishing the installation I assembled everything back together carefully. making sure none of the circuit traces would get damaged. I took out my analog cluster and the harness and then I placed in the digital cluster with its harness.

I turned the key to the point where the stereo and the notification lights come on the cluster. That's when the problems started, at first I didn't know what happened, because my stereo wouldnt turn on, and the dash lights (Climate control) and the cluster would not light up. Then when I turned on my car all the way, the cluster was not reading my RPMs. The speed light did not come on either, but here is the weird part. My check engine, door, and brake lights came on, which is what my analog cluster displays. I got frustrated with it and I replaced everything back with my analog cluster. Then found out my Audio fuse was blown 4th one from the bottom, and I believe it was my tail light lamp fuse that was blown as well.

I don't know why it happened but after replacing those my dash lights and my stereo turned back on.

If anyone else can shine some light on this issue please feel free to post up.
Bsm_chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
e5s4y
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
e5s4y is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
do you have the actual digital cluster subharness? I know theyre different, and the actual one is needed for the digital one to work. Not sure if thats your problem, but its a start, lol
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Bsm_chich
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5s4y View Post
do you have the actual digital cluster subharness? I know theyre different, and the actual one is needed for the digital one to work. Not sure if thats your problem, but its a start, lol
I have the harness, for it.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
See if you can't find some burnt traces on the digital cluster. Also, how sure are you that you have the right harness? Did you pull the harness and cluster from a coupe yourself?
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Bsm_chich
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
See if you can't find some burnt traces on the digital cluster. Also, how sure are you that you have the right harness? Did you pull the harness and cluster from a coupe yourself?
Yes, it came out of a vert. I found out why the RPMs won't read, that's cause I have a single cam tachnometer.