Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Spokerider

Trader Rating: (0)
Spokerider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 Rear Caliper rebuilding

I have just *partially* rebuilt the rear calipers on a 1992 240sx. I have not replaced that small O ring on the pushrod, as I do not have the long-nose snap ring pliers to get at the snap ring deep in the piston bore, and therefore, have not disassembled the parking brake components in the calipers. I have replaced all of the other seals on in the calipers that came in the rebuild kit however.

I do have some questions about my calipers tho.......
I have noted a difference between the left and right side calipers, regarding the distance the piston travels with "xx" number of strokes of the parking lever.

On one side, 7 strokes of the lever moves the piston out about 3/4". On the other side, it requires about 35 strokes to move the piston out of it's bore the same amount. Also, it takes about 5 times as many rotations to get the piston fully seated back into it's bore on that caliper. So, there is a difference between the two calipers, they both *seem* to work, just one needs many more strokes.

Both pistons move out of there bores the same amount per stroke, just the one side retracts more when the parking lever is let back down. So, I'm thinking that both calipers should grip the rotor with equal force.

Both calipers came from the same car, but have different number / letter stamping on them. I sourced the calipers at the wreckers, so don't know any service history on the car or brake parts.

Did these calipers come with variations like this? Or is one buggered inside somehow?

I've never worked on calipers that have the parking brake mechanism before, thus my questions......

Thanks for your thoughts!
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Spokerider

Well dudes?
Anyone torn into a set of these rear calipers before?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
WithHonor037
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
WithHonor037 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I rebuilt mine a few months back. Basically the same as you did. Both of the calipers I had moved equally when spun in or out. I would venture to say one is different somehow. Especially since you got them secondhand from the junkyard. One may have been replaced at some point in the cars life. If they're both coming out you could probly use it but its not ideal. When it comes to brakes I wouldn't gamble on it.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Spokerider

Thank you 037 for the reply. I appreciate it.

Did you manage to get the parking brake plunger out, and replace that little O ring? You would have had to re and re that snap rind down in the piston hole to do so.