Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
Farkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Farkel
Good Build Blogs?

What specific car build websites or blogs do you frequently browse? I don't mean generic picture posting websites, but ones dedicated to individual owners that show the nitty gritty of their car work... the more technical and intricate the content, the better.

I personally invest a lot of time to keep the details of what I do updated at
www.grandmighty.com

The only other sites I know of really are

www.engineeredtoslide.com (especially during the Ute times)
broadfield.wordpress.com
Old 03-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Go to the build section on this forum.

I have my build on 240sxone.com, cause its a more local community
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Speed Academy
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
R_Rod_s13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
R_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really niceR_Rod_s13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Speed Academy
+2.. What future said Speed Academy is badass ! They even have a YouTube channel if you like legit builds . They are both blogs and videos .
R_Rod_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Yeah km all about the Youtube. Speed Academy ftw
Old 03-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #6
qalipabe

Trader Rating: (0)
qalipabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They even have a YouTube channel if you like legit builds .
qalipabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkel View Post
I personally invest a lot of time to keep the details of what I do updated at
www.grandmighty.com
i stumbled into your blog a few years ago, i love the work done on your fd. only gripe was the ls swap, but i can understand why. the interior/dash work on your car is stunning.

one of the best s-chassis blogs and builds on the planet is the sillbeer build:
http://www.sillbeer.com/

search through the archives, the work that was done to his s13 is perfect

thanks for the sharing your build - great work

ps: bypassing the oe start relay on your fd should eliminate that problem youve been having, if i understand what you described. the early sohc 240's had this issue, i must've swapped 10 starts over X amount of years due to this. the solenoid would not receive enough juice and you would get a CLICK CLICK CLICK when things would start to head south. the starter would eventually fail, i'd warranty it and be back in business. then months later, same symptoms. i believe it was a matter of voltage drop going to the solenoid. between the wiring and ignition switch, it just would not be able to provide the juice. i fixed the problem randomly when i wanted to build a push-button start circuit. all of a sudden the problem was gone and never returned.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing your blog.

Speed Academy is great. Whatever you do dont watch "B is for Build" haha
Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Glad more ppl are watching Speed Academy. They're the true. But i wish MOTOIQ were as active on youtube. The holy grail right there.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
future
Post Whore!

B for build is a fucking joke. The fact that they record their shit jobs on cars and people buy them up is astonishing
Old 03-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
This passes my rigorous testing, and qualified as good.

http://camryonbronze.com
Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
this one's not bad

http://nght-vision.blogspot.com/

from da_crew

and risky devil's old blog was sweet when they updated. now its just ok

http://riskydevil.blogspot.com/
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #13
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Farkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i stumbled into your blog a few years ago, i love the work done on your fd. only gripe was the ls swap, but i can understand why. the interior/dash work on your car is stunning.

one of the best s-chassis blogs and builds on the planet is the sillbeer build:
http://www.sillbeer.com/

search through the archives, the work that was done to his s13 is perfect

thanks for the sharing your build - great work

ps: bypassing the oe start relay on your fd should eliminate that problem youve been having, if i understand what you described. the early sohc 240's had this issue, i must've swapped 10 starts over X amount of years due to this. the solenoid would not receive enough juice and you would get a CLICK CLICK CLICK when things would start to head south. the starter would eventually fail, i'd warranty it and be back in business. then months later, same symptoms. i believe it was a matter of voltage drop going to the solenoid. between the wiring and ignition switch, it just would not be able to provide the juice. i fixed the problem randomly when i wanted to build a push-button start circuit. all of a sudden the problem was gone and never returned.
Thanks for the comments. Will have to look through that sillbeer blog, too bad he doesn't post anymore.

And yep, the relay I installed for my FD's starting issue seems to have done the trick. I have not had a single click since.

I always like reading the work that comes from individual owners because it feels more relatable. Keep the recommendations coming! Again, the more technical and detailed the cataloging, the better. This needs to be from people who approach their cars comprehensively with an intelligent direction while going deep in their modifications scope. I find myself rarely checking picture and media oriented websites anymore, as they are too surface level and shallow in content.

Not only is reading regularly updated blogs like this interesting, it provides keen insight and is a great learning opportunity to see how others approach tasks.

As an aside: if anyone reading this follows the same vein of thought and has a detailed build that they would like to catalog, but lack the medium to do so... I can help set you up with a website. Let me know, more websites like these helps the greater good.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
This was a good read. Unfortunately he mostly posts on FB now and the link to the original thread on GTRCanada is dead

http://forums.nicoclub.com/post5558275.html#p5558275
Old 03-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
i saw the comments on your blog where people were doubting the relay harness would work, but being that i had first hand experience (beit on a 240) i knew that if the issue was the same, then the solution would work. glad to hear its working (so far).

some information is important to share, other information i like to keep to myself. ive met a lot of great people in the car community, but there are a good amount of anti-social assholes as well. ive always felt it was best to associate with the good and block out the bad, but the only way to do that is to share that information selectively.

the sillbeer blog is insanely good, right-click save good. sure, he doesnt post anymore but the information is very valuable and his build is top notch.

curious, what brings you to zilvia being that you own a mazda? you pickup a nissan or thinking about it?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah I think it's the ticket for sure. Before the clicking was relatively frequent and I haven't encountered it remotely yet. There's something with the stock circuit and all the relay hops between the security and clutch switches that's causing the voltage to drop by the time the ignition wire reaches the starter...

The key with all this car stuff is to try and keep an open mind and absorb and filter the information that you can. Learn from the bad, adopt the good. I'm not going to lie and say I don't have my own preferences and prejudices, but opinions are opinions. Then again, if something is shitty, there's usually some universal truth to it so people just need to learn that their shit is shit and accept it and then fix it.

My first car was a land yacht 300zx 2+2, so I found my way here during my younger days. Stayed for the Wheels for sale section
Old 04-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #17
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
http://engineeredtoslide.com/2016/02...in-100-photos/
Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #18
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Stance Nation has some dope wheel build threads and vape pen how to's.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #19
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
This passes my rigorous testing, and qualified as good.

http://camryonbronze.com
Too kind, thanks haha. I've been trying to post more there lately.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
truth loved that lowered fisher price car you did for your kid awesome blog!
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.vapor4life.com/blog/
Old 04-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #22
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Fuck yea. VAPE.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
Quote:
The best bolt-on blog in the industry!!! :-)
Old 04-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #24
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
just stumbled upon this build channel yesterday.

(most recent)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMT9Ykmneiw

i'm going to watch from the beginning here soon.
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #25
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
truth loved that lowered fisher price car you did for your kid awesome blog!
That was by far the most noteworthy and well-liked thing I have ever put together, lol. Mike should even like it since a bit of fab work was involved! The aftermarket industry is pretty light when it comes to Cozy Coupes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
The best bolt-on blog in the industry!!! :-)
Hey, it's not an easy job, but someone has to... oh wait, yes it is.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #26
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
immmm deaddddd
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #27
a13x.
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
a13x. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
+1

good read.
a13x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #28
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post

(most recent)

Binky is incredible. 2.5 years in the making. PhD++ level fab.

B is for Build is a turd sandwich but I still watch. It's a DIY channel that solely uses Harbor Freight tools led by a guy who is learning as he goes. Shit show.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #29
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post

(most recent)

YES! So good. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #30
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Bump. Any more good build blogs out there?

As recommended earlier, I've been looking at Speed Academy a lot and also MotoIQ.