Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Thumbs up Product Review: Drift Freaq's Engine Mouts

Buy his engine mounts.... I had POS new Nismo engine mounts all around with Nismo tranny mounts. Had steering tremors, felt vibrations like crazy, just felt really stiff all around AND there is DEFINITELY a 1" height difference between the Nismo's and DF's Mounts... My greddy FSTB had heavy dents from my engine torque cause it wouldn't clear with spacers already on there!....

You can already see the difference in height that is about 1/2" difference

Here you can see it installed on the turbo side...

The stupid nismo ones had a little tabe to keep it from spinning which in my theory thinks the engine couldnt' sit flush with the mounts

Driving impressions immediately are quieter more comfortable ride, less steering tremors all around, quieter on launch.... I am pretty sure the mounts will settle a little more over time, but these are unbelieveable!

Run down:

#1: Better than Nismo's in comfort meaning less vibration
#2: Easier install cause you can twist these any way you want to have it sit more flush tan nismos... 1 screw is in the middle of the mount which is up side and offset screw is down.
#3 The engine sits 1" lower than Nismo's
#4 WAAYYYY cheaper than Nismo's...

I am currently am using the nismo tranny mount with these engine mounts and its a good combo...

To install on SR:

Remove Clutch Fan.

Loosening Engine Mounts from the bottom. You can get to all 4 nuts from the bottom.

Remove Front Strut Tower Bar.

Put a piece of wood the size of your oil pan and lift the engine with a jack.

Screw in the middle of DF's mount go into engine side, and offset screw side goes to the frame side.

(MOST IMPORTANT) Use anti-seize on bolts.. These seize really easily with heat from engine.

Put in engine mounts and rotate mounts till they sit flush.

Bolt everything back in and go for a drive!

Good Stuff Drift Freaq!

My Car Specs: Motoria Arms all around, Megan Tracks, Solid Diff Mounts, Solid Subframe Mounts, SPL Inner and Outer Tie Rods....

370WHP at 330FT/LB of Torque.....
Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i like all of it except for the sitting lower part!..... but i do have a skid plate
Old 04-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Lower means what is perceived stock.... By no means it sits lower than the lower stabilizer bar.... I think it sits normal actually.... The nismo sits very high.....
Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I remember people saying something about some nismo motor mounts for the CA18 being different heights than SR ones or whatever. But As for the height difference, is there a difference once it is installed? Because I'd imagine the Nismo/OEM ones would 'squish' more so than the Drift Freaq mounts and that the install height might be near the same.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
are the Nismo's really that bad? i have never heard anything but positive feedback from people using them.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Nismo's are fine, for the first year or so. After that, they feel just like stock. Well, not old blown stock but stock new.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Jakob
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have these mounts, car feels great and no rattles at all (except the stuff that is actually loose and shouldn't be lol ). might pick up another set because my buddy wants them too!
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
sirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'll be interested to see how they last. Make sure to update this when you get some miles on em.
sirfallsalot243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
slider2828
Post Whore!

I have had about 15k miles on the nismo's they never squished at all, which I was hoping... Engine remained same height as when I first put them on. The mounts even look new after 15k miles on them no sagging.... But the engine was just too high... I think most people don't notice because they are still using a two piece shaft.....

I use a 1 piece steal and solid bushings / poly bushings everywhere with stiff coils. You can easily tell the difference in mounts.

100% sure they have a height difference.... nismo's don't squish at least not mine...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
secondtonone317
Zilvia Junkie

secondtonone317 is an unknown quantity at this point
damm, nice.......man I jumped to nismos after a bad experience with aolid mounts, if I get tired of nismos I will try these, I like that they take up less room
secondtonone317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfallsalot243 View Post
I'll be interested to see how they last. Make sure to update this when you get some miles on em.
They actually last quite well Racepar1 ran them on his car before he stripped it down to stitch weld for almost 2 years.

As with anything mileage may vary depending on how much you abuse your car. These were originally designed for track cars not street cars. They have seen lots of mileage on the track. If you do not put a heat shield on them then your exhaust and turbo could shorten the life of the mount due to excessive heat.

Before anyone asks well how come you don't make a heat shield? Two reasons,

1. They were cost ineffective to make given the price point people wanted to see the mounts sold for.

2. When we did make heat shields people were throwing them away.

Hence rather than wasting my money on something that is not cost effective and people will discard? I decided to sell them without with a Strong statement towards people using the factory heatshield or in sliders case using heat shielding material.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
secondtonone317
Zilvia Junkie

secondtonone317 is an unknown quantity at this point
how much are these? I hate that nismo mounts are so bulky but I like the comfort
secondtonone317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
probably should wrap them in the gold heat foil... also would be a good idea to maybe invest also in starter studs like the stock/nismo mounts so idiots don't strip or re-thread the studs in your mounts.

Just my 2 cents on improving your product. Make the foil optional. Not hard at all to apply.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtonone317 View Post
how much are these? I hate that nismo mounts are so bulky but I like the comfort
they are $120 a set plus shipping. I am possibly going to be doing a new group buy if the interest picks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
probably should wrap them in the gold heat foil... also would be a good idea to maybe invest also in starter studs like the stock/nismo mounts so idiots don't strip or re-thread the studs in your mounts.

Just my 2 cents on improving your product. Make the foil optional. Not hard at all to apply.

Thanks for the input Wayne,

Honestly though in all the time I have sold these I have never had a problem with people stripping the threads in the studs.

They come with brand new lock nuts or nuts with washers that thread on quite readily.

I would have to look into the foil idea but again its a question of cost vs return. If the cost is greater than the return it makes no sense.

Oh and that is pretty much why I have never done a trans mount. The amount it would cost to do a run vs the amount of people actually buying? Cost ineffective.

On top of that if I did a trans mount the price of the setup would rise significantly and in today's cost conscious 240 world? LOL

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post

I'll just use that protective silver material.... and wrap it around like I did on my ball joints... easy stuff, but its expensive. So I mean on the street, doubt there would be any problems, but track, I will use the wrap material....

The threads on the bolts are course threads, so I wouldn't worry too much about stripping, unless someone doesn't use hand tightening techniques first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtonone317 View Post
These are 100% times more comfortable than nismo's.... nismo suck... but I never been using solid mounts....
Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
I had them. There GREAT mounts for the price. But to be honest about a 1/2 year I had to replace them.... They tore apart some how. It was really sad for me.
I DD my car and track. I have a lot dips and bumps i go over but Idk if that did them or what.

Anyways my 2 cents.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
I had them. There GREAT mounts for the price. But to be honest about a 1/2 year I had to replace them.... They tore apart some how. It was really sad for me.
I DD my car and track. I have a lot dips and bumps i go over but Idk if that did them or what.

Anyways my 2 cents.
There was a redesign in between when you bought your mounts and his. Also if there is a problem and its within a reasonable time from the purchase than I will warranty them.

This is not a blanket warranty. All things can be affected by excessive use.

Of course Racepar1's were the previous design and his lasted 2 years and are in another car as I speak.

Another thing to remember is the effect from turbo heat. Urethane will get affected by excessive heat.

New Video
Buy my mounts!

Last edited by drift freaq; 04-28-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
i have been looking at these mounts for some time now. once my nismo's take a shit i will be buying a set of these not only because of the price but to help out a fellow zilvian. Also good write up to the op

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
fcdrifter20
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
fcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
i will also be buying a set of these as soon as i get my motor finished up. i have heard nothing but good things about these mounts.
fcdrifter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
nismo ones are great with the sr20. no exploding oilpans.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
There was a redesign in between when you bought yours mounts and his. Also if there is a problem and its within a reasonable time from the purchase than I will warranty them.

This is not a blanket warranty. All things can be affected by excessive use.

Of course Racepar1's were the previous design and his lasted 2 years and are in another car as I speak.

Another thing to remember is the effect from turbo heat. Urethane will get affected by excessive heat.
Doubt it was a heat problem.. When the mount that wasn't near the exhaust was more damaged than the one that was.
But the new mount design is pretty cool. I've did a lot research about all the new stuff.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
nismo ones are great with the sr20. no exploding oilpans.
How is this even relevant when I had both, and DF's mounts aren't lower than the Stabilizer bar?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #23
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
How is this even relevant when I had both, and DF's mounts aren't lower than the Stabilizer bar?
I don't know man, I have Nismo mounts, and have since the SR was dropped into the car back in 2003, and my oil pan is level with my front sway bar.

If these mounts lowered my motor by a half an inch like you said, my oil pan will be lower than my sway bar, thus SR explosion will occur.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #24
slider2828
Post Whore!

I'll take pics.... if I can get under it LOL.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #25
Allmtoreg
Zilvia Member

Allmtoreg is an unknown quantity at this point
how stiff are they really compared to other aftermarket mounts? Im running peak performance race trans mount and i was most likely looking towards cusco mounts or something like that mount design. but im interested now in trying these since alot of people seem to like them.
Allmtoreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #26
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmtoreg View Post
how stiff are they really compared to other aftermarket mounts? Im running peak performance race trans mount and i was most likely looking towards cusco mounts or something like that mount design. but im interested now in trying these since alot of people seem to like them.
I think you should support an OG of this community that is selling a good product that you are interested in.

Cusco has all the Subaru guys to back them now anyway.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #27
slider2828
Post Whore!

^^ Agreed! I love his mounts...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #28
Allmtoreg
Zilvia Member

Allmtoreg is an unknown quantity at this point
well you say theres not much vibration which is good. but do they hold the engine down as well as the nismos do (when they arent blown)
Allmtoreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #29
slider2828
Post Whore!

HUH? Mounts don't really hold the engine down per se.... The engine rocks back and forth and there is a screw.... I think its fine..... I have 370 WHP... 320 FTLB of torque, and it works... I dunno about long term, but df stands behind his stuff if i breaks.... will let you know whn I track it.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #30
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
HUH? Mounts don't really hold the engine down per se.... The engine rocks back and forth and there is a screw.... I think its fine..... I have 370 WHP... 320 FTLB of torque, and it works... I dunno about long term, but df stands behind his stuff if i breaks.... will let you know whn I track it.
Thanks and yes like I mentioned before there were some design mods done to them. They have seen a lot of track use as well.

New Video
Buy my mounts!