Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
maximus nismo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
maximus nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I replace the Sunroof Glass for a S14?

Hello everyone. It's been a long long time since I've posted. Work and family are keeping me very busy these days. Well, I've been having an issue with my sunroof for a while now and it's time for me to fix it.

The problem is I cant figure out where to start to replace the sunroof glass.

Here is what mine looks like now.

**I used the above image to advertise what I was looking for. Forgive the speech bubbles**

Like most of you know, the fiberglass bezel will break apart from the glass after a while. It is also the part that holds the rubber weather seal in place.

I've purchased another sunroof glass from a fellow NICO member and I need your help now.

What steps are needed to remove/replace the sunroof glass of a 1995 240sx?

Thanks for your help.
maximus nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
you have to unbolt the whole assembly from the bottom

it drops down and then you can get at it

that involves removing your headliner and stuff first obviously

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^+1

Also just so you know, when you get the headliner and dome lighting removed, but before you unbolt the whole assembly, make sure you disconnect the 4 water drainage hoses at each corner. If you forget and they sag, they might tear off, since they're usually old and brittle.

And while you in there clean the top part of the sliding inner piece. It usually gets all dirty from crap getting in there from the reverse opened moon roof.

good luck, oh and be ready cause the whole assembly is pretty heavy.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
maximus nismo
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to find out how to remove the whole damn headliner.

Guess it's not just a 30 min job like I was thinking.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus nismo View Post
Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to find out how to remove the whole damn headliner.

We're in the same boat. Good think I read that part about the drainage hoses.
Mangudai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
airforceone451
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
airforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enoughairforceone451 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus nismo View Post

Yeah, definently not a 30 minute job. You first have to remove some of the interior pieces because they hold the headliner up. Then remove the dome light pieces and the rear view mirror. After that, you have to remove the drainage hoses, then the bolts. It would also be best to have another person help you because the whole assembly does weight a lot. I had to remove myself and it was terrible, the whole thing was resting on my neck and shoulder as I tried to navigate it out of the car...but yeah, two people.
airforceone451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You guys are all so, so wrong. Removing just the glass requires absolutely no part of the headliner to be dropped.
Seriously, if you're going to answer a question, answer it right or don't even bother. The next thirty people who search will think the same thing you all said and cry about it. You blue guys should know better.

Taking the glass out takes less than five minutes, with a three minute beer break.

1) Sit in car, open sunshade.
2) Look straight up at each rear corner of the glass, there's a phillips head plastic clip. Remove it.
3) Slide the plastic inner covers on each side of the glass outward, starting from the corner the clip was in.
4) Remove six (6) M6 nuts securing glass to the frame assembly.
5) Lift glass out.

You're done. Refer to FSM if needed, but please for the love of all that's holy do not pay attention to the shit anyone else says in here unless you just like to do things the hard way.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Heh, you know what Russ? After reading your post, I looked at the FSM pic again and NEVER noticed the clips and screws!! That's something I learned today. At least now I know of an easier way to clean the top of the sunshade.

Thanks!! You're my hero.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Damn, look at that. The FSM is right. Not to mention I've dropped over three dozen roofs in my day and never went outside the bounds unless the whole assembly had to come out. You guys just love to guess at shit and make it harder on yourselves.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
maximus nismo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
You guys are all so, so wrong. Removing just the glass requires absolutely no part of the headliner to be dropped.
Seriously, if you're going to answer a question, answer it right or don't even bother. The next thirty people who search will think the same thing you all said and cry about it. You blue guys should know better.

Taking the glass out takes less than five minutes, with a three minute beer break.

2) Look straight up at each rear corner of the glass, there's a phillips head plastic clip. Remove it.
3) Slide the plastic inner covers on each side of the glass outward, starting from the corner the clip was in.
5) Lift glass out.

You're done. Refer to FSM if needed, but please for the love of all that's holy do not pay attention to the shit anyone else says in here unless you just like to do things the hard way.
You sir, deserve a beer. Have one on me and tell the bartender to charge my paypal account.

I'll take some pics of my progress and post them when I'm done. Thanks again .
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
+1 for Russell

Guess theres not much else to say.

Rock smashed mines few of years back.

imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
rebornz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
rebornz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
omg taking that glass out is awesome.just replaced a seal. that shits a bitch
rebornz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
And you really had to bump a 3 yr old thread just to say that?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
And you really had to bump a 3 yr old thread just to say that?
Yes he did.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Goddammit... Why couldn't you have bumped this old ass thread 2 weeks ago when I was repairing my sunroof trim?! Good info in here.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
The glass is 8 bolts, 4 on each end. Took me like 20 minutes, don't know why everyone is having trouble with it

Edit: 6 not 8. Still easy peasy
Old 03-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #17
97SerevoSX
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
97SerevoSX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post

5) Lift glass out.

Holy crap thank you! That was super easy.
Also yes, I know it's old, and it's still relevant!
97SerevoSX is offline   Reply With Quote