Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Sugarwaterpurple

Trader Rating: (0)
Sugarwaterpurple is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help, trying to diagnose issue

Not sure if this is the appropriate section to post this, if not mods please move

Just picked up an S13 Sr20det a few days ago, was driving the car around last night (about 60 degrees out) when it starting having an issue. Was cruising fine in 2-3 gear at about 45 MPH when suddenly the car became a bit less responsive and engine began to stutter under throttle , AFR's dropped straight to 10.0 constant regardless of gear/throttle input and A LOT of black smoke started coming out the exhaust. Threw the car into neutral and immediately the RPMs dropped to 0 & car shut off .

Pulled over and started the car back up (hesitated to crank up needed to give it some gas), it ran fine for about 2 or 3 minutes but then the same thing started happening again, had to blip the throttle when in neutral to keep the engine from shutting off. My 1st thought is an ignition issue . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated !

Note: car is on stock sr20det maf sensor with 800cc injectors but on the tune I have them set as if they were 600 on the nismotronic to keep the car very rich since I haven't been able to convert to map yet & don't want to exceed the 280 hp or so that this maf can handle. car has a walbro 450 and a rep HKS BOV . for some reason previous owner had the ignition fully advanced on the distributor and I've left it as is so far) on idle the car runs very lean (AFR off the chart) but very rich when driving normally. right before parking the car I did go WOT for a sec and it got into boost fine

Sugarwaterpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
dude. you just listed a fuckton of tuning issues that really need to be resolved

was the car running well before?

what did you change?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
JDMKINGMOTORS

JDMKINGMOTORS is an unknown quantity at this point
thats all tuning issues. Put your injectors to 800 instead of 600, change your mech timing to 15 degrees before tdc. and do your map swap then start trying to tune the car. you dont wanna go doing pulls and messing with the tune if youre just going to change the setup again.
JDMKINGMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
JDMKINGMOTORS

JDMKINGMOTORS is an unknown quantity at this point
also make sure you run your stock o2 sensor. the ecu adjust trim at idle and cruising speed to help richen it up so you dont run lean out of boost.
JDMKINGMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
LMAO is that a stock sr maf straight silicon couplered to the front of a massive top mount?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You have a lot of issues

Move maf 12" away from the turbo
Rescale injectors

Injector may be stuck open
Old 03-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
LMAO is that a stock sr maf straight silicon couplered to the front of a massive top mount?
lol yeah I've always been told that a minimum of 15-18" of piping should be used between a maf and a turbo.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
Sugarwaterpurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
It's only a gt35, from cxracing I believe but no yes i thought that wasn't right, it should have a pipe in between yeah? doesn't matter anyway I'm converting to map as soon as possible.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Sugarwaterpurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
dude. you just listed a fuckton of tuning issues that really need to be resolved

was the car running well before?

what did you change?
the car when I initially bought it was running fine for the most part apart from being off the chart lean on idle and rich otherwise . sometimes it hesitated to crank up & i'd have to give it some throttle . Previous owner did say it's only on a conservative base map
Old 03-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
Sugarwaterpurple

update: I think issue is solved. It was a bad connection on the intake filter/maf/turbo caused by a shitty job on the couplers and lack of good clamps that were getting loose under boost . please delete thread