Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
3NDLESS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question z32 Parking Brake & q45 Parking Brake

I've been searching online about z32 caliper swap and I'm in the process of doing my rears. I've also haven't reached to a solid resolution to my upcoming question.

This above, is the Q45 parking brake diagram...

This happens to be the Z32 parking brake diagram also..

THEY BOTH ARE THE SAME
Now this means that z32 parking/e-brake can be substituted with the q45 parking brake..right? vice versa of course.
This leads to my actual question; Can I use the Q45's parking brake setup in conjunction with a z32 rear caliper and not use a setup from an actual z32? Answered by LoSt180

I also have another minor question:

These are anchor bolts; the smaller one is the z32's anchor bolt and the right one, idk.

I'm getting a 240sx 5 lug and I don't know which one to use for the brake swap because I'm not using a z32 hub. Which one do I use?
Answered by anti tyler

Last edited by 3NDLESS; 03-03-2017 at 07:30 PM..
3NDLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Honestly I'm not going to get into the other Mumbo, but the left side one is z32 and if your align the edges of the anchor where it's thick and thin, the thin one works. So either anchor will
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

Ok, that one is solved thanks to you and some picture looking.

I noticed z32 hubs are thicker where the anchor bolt goes and comparing that to a typical s14 hub, s14 hub anchor bolt slot or blah are thinner, hence the thicker anchor bolt. On a z32 its thicker so the use of a thinner anchor bolt is needed.

Simple analogy time

Z32 NA Hub : z32 anchor bolt ONLY

Q45? S14 / Kits : z32 or some other nissan one thats thicker on OP picture

When using z32 anchor bolt onto a q45/s14/swap hub im 100% sure washer spacers are needed.

Now the final unanswered question- Q45 e-brake combined with Z32 rear calipers
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
So basically when you need washers or spacers it's because your hubs don't have the tabs that z32 hubs do. The extra squared piece that has the hole for that anchor. Which spaces out the hubs properly?

I didn't use those and I haven't had any issues. I've still also got 4 lug hubs too.

I'm not completely sure on the complexity of running the thick vs the thin as I haven't seen an issue with running the thinner piece anchor bolt.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

This is what I found.

If I read this correctly, the hub shown above is a swap hub and it has a thinner anchor bolt plate hence the use of a spacer if using a z32 anchor bolt.

Above are z32 hubs, I dont have both a swap hub and a z32 hub to compare the anchor bolt plate but Im 100% sure that on the z32 is thicker, which is why a thinner anchor bolt is used.

On the thick vs thin anchor bolt. I've read in some cases e-braking is somehow hindered by like 50% because half of the shoe hits contacts the drum. Its only e-brake or parking brake so I see no use of it when your on the run or anything.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
The Q45 parking brake setup is exactly the same as Z32, so is the whole rear knuckle for that matter. Only thing I haven't confirmed is if the dust shield clears the Z32 rotor, if not, then just have to trim it. If you look up parking brake shoes and hardware kits, the same part numbers fit Z32 and Q45.

Now, the anchor bolts you have pictured are BOTH Z32 anchor bolts. There were actually 2 different styles. The one on the right is an older one, and the most "bolt-on" solution for a 240SX. A big problem is that they're hard to find, I think they were only on early 1990 non-turbo models. The one on the left is meant to fit into a "tab" on Z32 wheel bearings. If you look at Z32 wheel bearings, there's 4 bolts and a 5th hole on top, for this anchor to fit. On S-chassis wheel bearings, there's only 4 bolts and no tab. You can either use z32 non-turbo wheel bearings & hubs, or just use a spacer. My car literally has 2 huge washers stacked to align the anchor bolt properly. As long as everything is torqued down, it won't move.

LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

Thank you so much for your input!
On the dust shield speculation I found this for you
http://www.ka24development.com/brake_upgrades.html
But I'm sure thats the front hub; so heres a number I found on wikibooks

"J30/Q45 - 11" vented rotor, larger single piston caliper, drum handbrake"

"11.75" vented rotor, 2-piston caliper, drum handbrake"

Thickness of rotors are hopefully in first link.
Now that both my answers are answered, I know what I'm gonna do now.