Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
jiverogers

Trader Rating: (0)
jiverogers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 SR20DET overheating issues

Okay first off I bought this car recently its an 89 hatch with a redtops13 sr20det when I first bought it the only problem was a clamp was loose on a coolant hose behind the motor so I tightened it and drove it about 250 miles with relatively no problems (clutch pedal is half way down to the floor not to sure how to fix but its something I can deal with) yesterday I took it out for a drive and when I got to where I was going there was steam coming out of hood and coolant was spewing all under the car so I limped it 5 miles home , the next day I went to go start it and see if I could find this leak and nothing car idled fine there was still coolant in the reservoir but I filled it to be sure but the guy that sold it to me told me the radiator cap was to high pressure ? it was a 1.1 I think so I got the normal .9 cap and still no leaks but when I went to go drive it around the neighborhood and got on it a bit the temp gauge flew above H and then I noticed its idling around 1.5 if anyone has any idea about what could be the problem I would really appreciate it. thanks in advance
jiverogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
pressure test the cooling system for leaks

do a compression test on the engine

make sure the fans are working correctly

you are looking for either a blown head gasket or a leak somewhere in the cooling system, or a failed fan or improper fan use. Make sure you are using a mechanical clutch fan, with a shroud, and a high quality radiator. Some clutch fans can also look like they are spinning, but can be weak and fail to cool. Maybe this is the cause and the temp is rising because the mech fan is bad.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
jiverogers

alright but wouldn't the exhaust be puffing out white smoke if its a head gasket ? really hope its not that and is there a good place to order the fan shroud? mine didn't come with one
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Karlhammer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Karlhammer is making a name for him/her selfKarlhammer is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Napa or oreillys had a coolant engine block test kit you can buy. It checks for exhaust gases in the coolant if the head gasket took a shit. Worth buying if you don't have one. Really a great tool.
Karlhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Don't trust that ^! It gives false positives and vice versa. Get a radiator pressurizing tool and check for leaks and continue diagnosing
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Karlhammer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Karlhammer is making a name for him/her selfKarlhammer is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Worked event time I've needed it to.
Karlhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
jiverogers

My step dad has the pressure tester tool, but he said it doesn't think he has the attachment to work on my car ( he works on big diesel trucks ) does autozone or somewhere have the attachment ?
Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
they should...I got mine from a local snapon dealer...they run around everywhere too
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Add a few psi via the reservoir nipple or hose, look listen for leaks, from cap and hoses. I know! rocket surgery![emoji12]

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
sounds like a busted radiator... if youre still running an OE radiator, throw it in the garbage and pick up a Koyo or Mishimoto ASAP. DO NOT BUY A GODSPEED/EBAY UNIT!!! Knock off units have horrible end tanks on them...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
sentradude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Do you have the mechanical fan on it with the fan shroud? That is the first step
sentradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
Arrowking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Arrowking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As others have said, pressure test the system first. If you have leaks in the radiator just change it out and I'd also upgrade the radiator to a quality unit (if budget allows) and add the OEM fan shroud with a mechanical clutch fan.
Arrowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #13
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Add a few psi via the reservoir nipple or hose, look listen for leaks, from cap and hoses. I know! rocket surgery![emoji12]
this is good advice. no need to buy a special tester, if you have an air compressor handy, just fill the system via reservoir tube and check for leaks. The rad plumbing will swell rock hard with pressure if the system is sealed up right, it will hold that pressure for a while.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiverogers View Post
and is there a good place to order the fan shroud? mine didn't come with one
You're gonna want to start with finding a shroud.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #15
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
FRSport sells brand new OE S13/S14 SR20det fan shrouds (main and lower bits). theyre fairly cheap... and YES you will want an OE fan shroud!!!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
There's also side plates for the shroud that wrap around the radiator as well as another strip for the bottom half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote