Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #31
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^ no, you can't use S13 Cam gear sprocket on S14 Cams! the S13 Cam Gear BOLT will NOT fit on the S14 Camshaft. Which means you need to buy an 'Intake' S13 Cam, then you can bolt on the S13 Cam gear along with Bolt.

Steve.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #32
efrain240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
efrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What no Jim Wolf love in here, S3 cams that's all I have to say, or better jet C1 cams. But out of HKS and Tomei cams, I say Tomei.
efrain240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #33
sik.infinity

Trader Rating: (1)
sik.infinity is on the path to ruinsik.infinity is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so s13 cams with s13 cam gears is the cure right???????????
sik.infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #34
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^^ That is correct.... S13 Cams with S13 cam gears.... in S14 if you want to delete VTC. Yah I still go with HKS though... Tomei factory go Tomei, if you had baller money I am sure JUN is probably super good for HP. HKS for Yashio factory which is probably the biggest builder of S Chassis cars in Japan, so I say HKS. I have an Extra HKS cam and they are super smooth and different based on the BC pictures I have seen.

But personally I would go with JE. I know the HKS does use JE machining for their pistons. HKS custom orders there pistons from JE I know that as a long time Nissan mechanic told me. I wouldn't doubt they are JE's either as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #35
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I use JWT S1 cams because not only do they actually design their own cams, but they grind their own cams. It is one thing to design your own cam, but foolish to copy directly from a cut cam from another company. You do not get the same results.
JWT has the customer service and knowledgeable staff to help you. JWT has worked closely with many time attack Nissan owners here, and i highly recommend their cams if you actually race or plan to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
HKS has BC make their cams? Really? Hmmm.... There seems to be no timing problems like you would get with BC cams....

Do you have a source on that?
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #36
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
But personally I would go with JE. I know the HKS does use JE machining for their pistons. HKS custom orders there pistons from JE I know that as a long time Nissan mechanic told me. I wouldn't doubt they are JE's either as well.
Believe what you want to believe but its not true.
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #37
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Oops double post
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #38
xcye12
Leaky Injector

xcye12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am currently having Tomei Poncams in my S13 SR with stock springs and no rocker arm stoppers. There was zero problem even after a couple track days (7500rpm rev constantly). Stock like idle; much better mid range and slightly improved top end than stock CAM.

No experience with HKS. But, I'd say I am very happy with those Tomei CAMs.
xcye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #39
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcye12 View Post
I am currently having Tomei Poncams in my S13 SR with stock springs and no rocker arm stoppers. There was zero problem even after a couple track days (7500rpm rev constantly). Stock like idle; much better mid range and slightly improved top end than stock CAM.

What intake manifold and turbo?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #40
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Yah but HKS is over priced for Pistons any ways, so I went JE's.....
Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #41
vqboodah
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
vqboodah is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
well thanks for the input guys, i think im gonna go with the tomei poncams for more midrange power.
vqboodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 AM   #42
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcye12 View Post

You might wanna reconsider that and get atleast some rocker arm stopppers. It doesnt take much to float a rocker arm and it doesnt take much for your SR to do the disappear valve trick.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 AM   #43
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yea....... i believed i was doing my engine a favor with rocker arm stoppers even going against my mechanics (Master Nissan Mechanic) warnings. I did float a valve, broke rocker arms, and they began the "wood chipper" effect between the cams and the rocker stoppers. Destroying my cams, and bending the shit out of the stoppers. I still have those in my shop if anyone wants to see what that mess looks like. It was easier to replace the bent valves than it was to locate all of the little pieces of rocker arms pulverized by the stoppers. Normally, the rocker arms will just break into a couple pices and float into a corner. Rocker stoppers turned that shit into many more shards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
You might wanna reconsider that and get atleast some rocker arm stopppers. It doesnt take much to float a rocker arm and it doesnt take much for your SR to do the disappear valve trick.
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #44
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
You may like your BC cams, and thats fine. They may of improved their quality in the past year or two (that picture is a few years old now). Nothing is wrong with CP pistons, I'd just rather get CP instead of the overpriced hype of HKS (that was my point, not ragging on CP...I know tons of guys use their pistons and have zero issues with them). As far as the BC cams quality, they may of improved it, but that still doesn't sway me, as their quality before has made me have a biased opinion.

Personally, I'll never use BC parts. I'd run his dads, but not his.

Keep in mind Z33dori, this is not an argument with you or any type of personal shot, if anything I think you're a pretty good guy. Just a lot of IMO crap slinging
I use and have supported HKS and Tomei over all over camshafts for SR20DET.

Jun is also excellent.

For the money I believe the best camshafts hands down are HKS camshafts, based on the aggressive ramp rate, the consistent ranges that they make power in according to duration and durability.

I have worked with both blanks, seen them and used / installed many, the craftsmanship and even the type of metal on an HKS blank looks extremely different.

I have had HKS cams destroy the camp caps and cam sprockets they were in before failing themselves when out of wack, this does not line up with the BC cams which have dowel pins that snap off at higher outputs and break in half when not torquing down the caps in sequence.

Please let me know what you can come up with...thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #45
milesbizzell
Leaky Injector

milesbizzell is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to milesbizzell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
are you sure about this? i thought if you have s14/s15sr and you dont want vtc you just get a S13SR intake cam gear and that it, you keep your S14 cams with the motor. you put s13 cams in a s14 motor?

you are correct, get the Poncams for an S14 and change out the sprocket to an s13 Sprocket..
I had mine done that way. no dyno yet as I only have 34 miles on my new build 256degrees and 11.50mm lift..
s15 turbo spools fast, mid range pulls like a rapped ape all the way to top..
milesbizzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #46
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesbizzell View Post
you are correct, get the Poncams for an S14 and change out the sprocket to an s13 Sprocket..
I had mine done that way. no dyno yet as I only have 34 miles on my new build 256degrees and 11.50mm lift..
s15 turbo spools fast, mid range pulls like a rapped ape all the way to top..
Look at the dates man.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #47
sr23det
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
sr23det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
atleast he didn't make a new thread
sr23det is offline   Reply With Quote