Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Engmus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Engmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S13 SR20 Turbo Lines

Before we get rolling on this i've read most threads on this, and googled a bunch.

I think I just want someone to help guide me abit.

I have my SR20DET which had a factory T25 on it, which is gone, and I have the stock coolant line running off the side of the engine to around the back blah blah blah. The car also has A\C lines FYI.

It looks like to install my new turbo I can either...

1. Pull the motor and handle the S13 Turbo lines properly, the hardest option really and kinda over kill to pull the motor to do this.

2. Disconnect the tail shaft and transmission mount and try to loosen the engine mounts and tilt the motor forwards to get better access and rip the coolant line off and replace.

3. Weld or Cap the factory line that would feed the turbo, buy a S14 or modify my existing water neck and plumb into that.

4. Push a rubber hose over the factory line, clamp it down tight, push a barb into the end of the rubber hose, clamp that down tight ,and install my turbo line to the rubber hose with the barb and call it a day.

Im curious which option people find to be the best or most reliable? Or what you guys might do in my shoes.

Thanks!
Engmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
uhhhhhh what is your new turbo, and is the new turbo oil AND water cooled, or JUST oil cooled?

I strongly recommend getting an s14 water neck, if you plan to continue using water cooling. its soooooooo much easier.

also, I use just a heavy duty vacuum cap over the existing coolant nipple (the one that is between the head and the firewall), with a hose clamp around that

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So do you have heater lines on your SR? If so you know about the whole clusterfuck behind the head getting everything to plug back in... I cut the heater pipe off the motor that curves around the back and ran a hose straight to the firewall, no more mess behind the head. If you do that it deletes that stupid little coolant feed nipple and you can just go buy an s14 water neck to feed the turbo.

Also, if you want an AN turbo line kit don't buy an off the shelf one. Just get your own AN hose and fittings and make it yourself, it'll fit a lot better in the end.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Pacotaco pretty much summed it up, otherwise Phase2 makes a nice turbo line kit.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
just do the s14...makes life SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Engmus
Leaky Injector

Engmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for the lack of information in the original post.

The new turbo is a rebuilt Tomei SR 7960.

I guess i'll buy the S14 parts, and just cap or weld the S13 factory line. Does anyone know if the Tomei turbo would need an oil restrictor?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
lok
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engmus View Post
Sorry for the lack of information in the original post.

The new turbo is a rebuilt Tomei SR 7960.

I guess i'll buy the S14 parts, and just cap or weld the S13 factory line. Does anyone know if the Tomei turbo would need an oil restrictor?
Don't cap it off. Just cut that while pipe and eliminate the that fitting for the turbo line behind the head and simplify your heater core lines. Then run the s14 water neck like stock.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=634435
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
Engmus
Leaky Injector

Sounds promising my friend, but to do that i'd need to pull my motor, with the heater and A\C Lines down there I dont think i'd be able to manipulate my hands well enough to do that job.

MAYBE if I disconnected the transmission mount and tail shaft I could tilt the motor forwards, but I dont know how much additional clearance that would give.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
if you take the intake off it allows all the room you need...not necessary but makes it easier
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I pulled the intake off and cut the pipe with a sawzall. It's well worth the headache you'll save yourself from in the future.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
So do you have heater lines on your SR? If so you know about the whole clusterfuck behind the head getting everything to plug back in... I cut the heater pipe off the motor that curves around the back and ran a hose straight to the firewall, no more mess behind the head. If you do that it deletes that stupid little coolant feed nipple and you can just go buy an s14 water neck to feed the turbo.

Also, if you want an AN turbo line kit don't buy an off the shelf one. Just get your own AN hose and fittings and make it yourself, it'll fit a lot better in the end.

This. Remove intake manifold for access. I cut and bent the heater core line and it's worlds better now. Make sure you make a bead on your new cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote