Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-22-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Lurpin is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SPL rucas Help...

I just installed my SPL v3 rucas, and I started hearing a weird noise. So I looked under the car at them, and they are pretty close to the frame rail. I think they might be bottoming out, but I'm not sure. These are s14 Spl rucas on a 98 s14. Has anyone else had this problem with these rucas? If I can get my camera to work I'll upload some pics.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
240esux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240esux
240esux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

So what your saying is that I should buy some Powered by max rucas..
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
I10cruiser
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
I10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfectionI10cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to I10cruiser Send a message via Yahoo to I10cruiser
is your car slammed? if so yes

I10cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

It is decently low.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurpin View Post
I just installed my SPL v3 rucas, and I started hearing a weird noise. So I looked under the car at them, and they are pretty close to the frame rail. I think they might be bottoming out, but I'm not sure. These are s14 Spl rucas on a 98 s14. Has anyone else had this problem with these rucas? If I can get my camera to work I'll upload some pics.
Our arms are also angled, did you install them on the correct side so as to have maximum clearance to the frame rail?
kuah@splparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

I just went and looked at them, and I think I might of installed them upside down. I think I might have to take them off and switch sides so they are right side up. Is there any sure way to tell what side they go on? I'm sorry for all my noobness, I'm just a amateur with cars that is trying to do things by myself.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Well, if they're upside down, take them off and install them on the opposite side of the car, or at least lay them in there and look at it. Should be pretty obvious at that point whether or not you had them upside down or not.

It is amazing how a lot of problems that people are experiencing would have been avoided, if only the person would just take a step back, breath, and look at the task at hand and look everything over BEFORE putting everything on and tightening everything down.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Well, if they're upside down, take them off and install them on the opposite side of the car, or at least lay them in there and look at it. Should be pretty obvious at that point whether or not you had them upside down or not.

It is amazing how a lot of problems that people are experiencing would have been avoided, if only the person would just take a step back, breath, and look at the task at hand and look everything over BEFORE putting everything on and tightening everything down.
I'm sorry, It probably frustrates you guys to see questions like this. I guess i was just way to excited to get them on.

Edit: on the bright side it still fixed my camber
Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
hahaha, well, what I said is true.

I was almost going to post a thread like this, back when I put my RUCAs on. But upon swapping the 2 arms around on 1 side, it was clear that the arm had to go in front of the coilover, and not behind it. Later on, I confirmed that's how it's done.

All it took was just looking at the parts, looking at the car, and looking at the space you have to work with, and using your brain to solve the problem. Usually it's pretty obvious.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Mr. Jesse
Zilvia Member

Mr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant future
just bought some PBM Rucas the other day........... Awesome!!

This sig was inspired by nothing, then is wasn't.
Mr. Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Why the fuck are you talking about powered by max in a SPLparts thread?

This negus...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
[email protected]
Zilvia.net Advertiser

kuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond reputekuah@splparts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I just went and looked at them, and I think I might of installed them upside down. I think I might have to take them off and switch sides so they are right side up. Is there any sure way to tell what side they go on? I'm sorry for all my noobness, I'm just a amateur with cars that is trying to do things by himself.
You basically want them to look like they are angled "downwards", that way they have the most clearance to the frame rails. I do not have a picture of the upper arms, but the following picture of the toe arms show them angled down:

kuah@splparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #14
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Yet again customer service is great.

That's why I'll always buy spl.

haha.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

I do have them in front of the coilover. I got that much from looking at the stock ruca. I think i need to take the arm that is on the right side of my car and put it on the left and the left on the right so that it is angled the right way. Thank you everyone for trying to help me out, and thank you kuah for taking the time to find this thread and reply to it. Your parts and customer service is amazing. I would never hesitate to buy from you guys.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
golfer17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
golfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to golfer17
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Yet again customer service is great.

That's why I'll always buy spl.

haha.
agreed, that was a super fast response by spl. If only more companies would take the time to offer customer service like that.

On a side note, my spl v3 stealth black rucas just showed up yesterday!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer17 View Post
agreed, that was a super fast response by spl. If only more companies would take the time to offer customer service like that.

On a side note, my spl v3 stealth black rucas just showed up yesterday!
Yea they were on backorder. I got mine a little less then a week ago.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #18
Mr. Jesse
Zilvia Member

Mr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant futureMr. Jesse has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Why the fuck are you talking about powered by max in a SPLparts thread?

This negus...
It was mentioned earlier and I had an urge to post something. It happens.. don't hate.

and I take that as a compliment. Bow to your NEGUS!!

This sig was inspired by nothing, then is wasn't.
Mr. Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
reccakun08
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
reccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the roughreccakun08 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
SPL support is great. Only guy to answer my questions about the diff bushings.
reccakun08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 AM   #20
240esux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240esux
nothing bad about spl, i just didnt think they were as angled as the PBM ones. ive heard nothing but good stuff about both.
240esux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

well I switched the rucas to the opposite sides today. It fixed the problem. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #22
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
Quote:
well I switched the rucas to the opposite sides today. It fixed the problem. Thanks for your help guys.
SPL!