Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 AM   #1501
s14freak
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
s14freak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I just got finished reading through all 50 pages of this thread, and I must say, I am amazed at the caliber or the work here. I have fabbed up a few things, but not very exciting like the stuff in here lol. I've made a couple strut braces, and mved my ebrake to the passenger side. Blu where is your shop? I'd love to get you to do a cage in my s14.
s14freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #1502
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
He's in San Jose,CA. Or somewhere around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
cc4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #1503
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
15553 Los Gatos Blvd
Los Gatos, CA

inside BR Racing

2,745 mi from north charleston
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #1504
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
that's tight dude. Nice work.
Thanks boss.
Quite a nice compliment coming from you.
I figured it was time for some shamelss whoring
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #1505
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
awesome paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
A car I've worked on at work. I welded up the the front re-bar because it was non-esistent.

This was at a show this past weekend.
hey dude I admire your project,especially your paint job. Tell us something about it, what's the colour code and other details. Cheers
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #1506
born2boost
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
born2boost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I made a gauge cluster and Im almost done with the car:

wiring:

Ecu/injector box mounting:

A rocker hopped off and then let the valve free and it had some fun in the combustion chamber so im throwing a stocker back in Ill post up better detailed pics of everything later
Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #1507
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Haven't posted in here for a while so I thought I'd post an SR manifold I recently finished. Its a dual plenum design common in WRC/LMP turbo motors.

and I finially finished my new chassis harness. Engine harness is next but should take about 1/3 the time to complete.

driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #1508
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
damn.. thats all i can say.

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #1509
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstyre View Post
Haven't posted in here for a while so I thought I'd post an SR manifold I recently finished. Its a dual plenum design common in WRC/LMP turbo motors.

and I finially finished my new chassis harness. Engine harness is next but should take about 1/3 the time to complete.
You still use the IACV, interesting.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #1510
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post
You still use the IACV, interesting.
I don't, but the customer who this is for does
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #1511
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Bill Washburn for president.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #1512
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
That intake mani is awesome ! Great job !

I wish mine is gonna be as great as this.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 AM   #1513
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Sexy SEXY intake mani Bill.

I <3 welding 1/8" after welding all that .018" galvanized and stock sheetmetal last week for my tubs... laid down some sweet beads (my best/most consistent ever lol), using my Hobart 135/.030" wire/no gas (still havent bought it). These are for Camilleon's deadbolts in her 510, btw.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #1514
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Clean welds on the first pic but splatter is "ewww" lol I hate flux core to.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #1515
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
Clean welds on the first pic but splatter is "ewww" lol I hate flux core to.
Yeah, it files right off, but I feel like such a bum for not spending the ~$90 or so on a bottle every time I see it... I've got a Miller regulator (and I use a Miller MIG gun), just need to man up and stop by Airgas.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #1516
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
That is a crazy lookin intake manifold.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #1517
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Yeah, it files right off, but I feel like such a bum for not spending the ~$90 or so on a bottle every time I see it... I've got a Miller regulator (and I use a Miller MIG gun), just need to man up and stop by Airgas.
I can give you a few reason why you should stick with flux core and get a bottle of CO2... Yes a bottle of CO2 on flux core.

If anyone here has ever done some heavy construction (IE. Construction cranes). They will tell you flux core is far superior to MIG... Just a thought...

If I had it my way. MIG would not exsist. It looks like crap and has shitty penetration... FC and metal core all the way! (For wire feed anyways)
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #1518
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Born2boost what are those black boxes labeled like ECU, injector ETC????

Driftstyre GOOD GAWD Amazing! After seeing your wiring i think i might try and steal some Mil spec connectors from work....
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #1519
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Quote:
I can give you a few reason why you should stick with flux core and get a bottle of CO2... Yes a bottle of CO2 on flux core.

If anyone here has ever done some heavy construction (IE. Construction cranes). They will tell you flux core is far superior to MIG... Just a thought...

If I had it my way. MIG would not exsist. It looks like crap and has shitty penetration... FC and metal core all the way! (For wire feed anyways)
I assume the CO2 will shield the splatter from the flux core? This is very interesting I might have to do this. I've got some CO2 tanks from when I used to paintball, I might have to give this a try.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #1520
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Duffman:
No there will still be spatter. The CO2 is used for penetration and cleanliness of the weld.
Note that you will also need the correct flux cored wire to be used with CO2.

Next to TIG. This method of flux core and Metal Core produce the cleanest looking welds that I've come across.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #1521
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Yeah the stuff I was looking at was 30% argon 70% CO2 for the flux core wire I'm using. I used that same setup on a Miller MIG at the Tech Day here and it was awesome.

Fundamentally, what's the difference between MIG and Flux Core welding?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #1522
born2boost
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
born2boost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrfiter22 View Post
Born2boost what are those black boxes labeled like ECU, injector ETC????

Driftstyre GOOD GAWD Amazing! After seeing your wiring i think i might try and steal some Mil spec connectors from work....
they are relays we got rid of all the stock wiring
Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #1523
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Yeah the stuff I was looking at was 30% argon 70% CO2 for the flux core wire I'm using. I used that same setup on a Miller MIG at the Tech Day here and it was awesome.

Fundamentally, what's the difference between MIG and Flux Core welding?
I've always used straight CO2 (100%) when using this method of flux core.

The differences:

MIG, you push the wire
FC, you PULL the wire

MIG, doesn't need cleaning to restart weld
FC, must be cleaned very well before welding.

MIG has no slag
FC has layer of slag, which need s to be cleaned off.

MIG least penetration of all weld types
FC one of the highest penetration of all weld types

MIG harder to weld with
FC very easy to weld with

MIG hard to get appealing appearance
FC, very easy to acheive a asthetically appealy weld...

I could go on...

There are obviously a few PROS to MIG but the PROS of a properly set up FC just doesn't compare.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #1524
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
I think you are speeking of dual sheild.
here is the page from Lincoln Electric describing the wire and uses.
Browser Level Verification

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #1525
atutt
Zilvia Addict

^Yes, I am refering to a dual sheild set-up... Best wire feed set up in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #1526
BrianG701

BrianG701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I've always used straight CO2 (100%) when using this method of flux core.

The differences:

MIG, you push the wire
FC, you PULL the wire

MIG, doesn't need cleaning to restart weld
FC, must be cleaned very well before welding.

MIG has no slag
FC has layer of slag, which need s to be cleaned off.

MIG least penetration of all weld types
FC one of the highest penetration of all weld types

MIG harder to weld with
FC very easy to weld with

MIG hard to get appealing appearance
FC, very easy to acheive a asthetically appealy weld...

I could go on...

There are obviously a few PROS to MIG but the PROS of a properly set up FC just doesn't compare.
Please do go on, I'd like to hear how the same machine is inferior to itself when using different filler material, I'm simply curious since I've never heard this before.
BrianG701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #1527
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG701 View Post
Please do go on, I'd like to hear how the same machine is inferior to itself when using different filler material, I'm simply curious since I've never heard this before.
It is not a matter of the machine being inferior to itself, it is a matter of using the right filler for the job.
I only use dual sheild on very heavy/ super high strength applications.
Atutt is right in the fact that the welds are super high penatration, and look awesome after you clean off the slag...but since they are so high heat and penatration it has a tendency to cause a lot of heat distortion, so dual sheild is not for all applacations in my opinion.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #1528
BrianG701

BrianG701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah, now I understand
BrianG701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #1529
duffman1278
Post Whore!

So I would assume because of the higher heat with using dual shielded, that it would not be good to use on sheet metal for cars?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #1530
Nachtmensch
Zilvia Addict

Nachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstyre View Post
I don't, but the customer who this is for does
is that Simba's manifold? i saw some pics when you first started making it. looks good. any idea on HP/TQ increase?
Nachtmensch is offline   Reply With Quote