Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
hoss1100

Trader Rating: (0)
hoss1100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 sr20det firing problem

Hello everyone, Here is the scoop on whats happening. After purchasing a new timing kit and oil pump with front cover for my redtop s13 sr20det, I pulled the motor an broke it down an installed everything. Now I get it all back together and ready to go and when i try to start it fires against itself meaning it feels like the timing is off 180 degree. Now when i look at everything, meaning the cams, chain, an cas, everything is lining up and looking right. When 1st piston is at TDC, 2nd mark from left on crank pulley, the cam sprocket marks are lining up with the chain marks(silvers) and the lobes are pointing outward, away from each other, and when looking at the cas, its showing the marks are lined up, far left mark with the casing cas mark. Now i really have no idea what else it could be considering when i rotate the crank, the cas lines up almost perfectly every 2 turns which it should (i think). Maybe there is something i am missing, i do not know, ive searched everywhere and all the 180 degree out of timing info points to having the cam lobes pointing towards each other when the cas marks line up. Please help anyone, I can take pics of how it sits if anyone has any ideas......sigh (maybe the cas is bad???)
hoss1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
nismoman
Zilvia Junkie

nismoman is an unknown quantity at this point
http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf...NSTFORSR20.PDF

How To Set Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) Timing on the SR20DET Engine

hope those help
Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
hoss1100

after messin with it more, ok so nismoman i followed all that an everything checks out. crank it with spark an it fires against itself, take the spark off an spins fine an dandy. So ive come to the conclusion that its either my cas or somethings funny with my coil packs. so i took the cover of my cas off and here what i find, looks like a photo optic sensor that reads a disk, on the disk there are 360 marks, aka degrees, and there are 4 other marks, aka the firing points. Now when the cas is in the car at tdc the photo sensor sits in between 2 of the 4 firing points on the wheel. is this right? my guess is that it should be sitting on one of the firing points at tdc. lol someone help im losing my mind with this. i have a feeling it is something really stupid that i forgot. sigh
Old 12-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
eyedefineJDM

eyedefineJDM is an unknown quantity at this point
check out the FSM for your motor.... it will tell you everything
eyedefineJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
eyedefineJDM

eyedefineJDM is an unknown quantity at this point
when troubleshooting sensors, its best to invest in a digital multimeter.... this tool will keep you from replacing sensors and parts that dont need to be replaced... download the fsm and get a multimeter and check the voltages on every one of your sensors... the fsm will tell you how to check the voltages... in the fsm it tells you how to diagnose with consult2 or without consult 2... you will be diagnosing without consult2
eyedefineJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
nismoman
Zilvia Junkie

nismoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss1100 View Post
after messin with it more, ok so nismoman i followed all that an everything checks out. crank it with spark an it fires against itself, take the spark off an spins fine an dandy. So ive come to the conclusion that its either my cas or somethings funny with my coil packs. so i took the cover of my cas off and here what i find, looks like a photo optic sensor that reads a disk, on the disk there are 360 marks, aka degrees, and there are 4 other marks, aka the firing points. Now when the cas is in the car at tdc the photo sensor sits in between 2 of the 4 firing points on the wheel. is this right? my guess is that it should be sitting on one of the firing points at tdc. lol someone help im losing my mind with this. i have a feeling it is something really stupid that i forgot. sigh
I know what you are looking at inside the cas but I have never looked at it with the cover off to see what mark hits where and when. Have you pulled the cas out and tried to Restab it? Maybe it only looks right when it's in there.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
hoss1100

ok, for all, i have the fsm, i have a multimeter, and ive checked all of the ignition circuits from the plugs back to the ecu by the fsm spec, i have also tested the cas with a multimeter by the fsm spec and everything checks out.... ive done everything i can possibly think of. cas is set right, at the mark, by fsm that is in between the firing marks as i was talking about above. the only other thing i can think of is the grounds being off or loose or bad connect somewhere, i know its not the ignition ground, or the block ground, maybe else where.... anyone had any trouble like this before.