Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: Cracked Dash
My S13 dash is UNCRACKED 407 30.15%
My S13 dash is CRACKED 455 33.70%
My S14 dash is UNCRACKED 275 20.37%
MY S14 dash is CRACKED 213 15.78%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #61
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I would never buy one of those coverlay things, looks like shit imo.

After 6 years of having a stock, uncracked dash in my s13, it finally developed a crack above the cluster. This was about 2 years ago now and it hasn't gotten worse, but get this, it cracked over winter sitting in my garage with no sunlight exposure.
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #62
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
If the coverlay piece was under $100 I could see it being worth it. Though considering having a dash wrapped wouldn't be that much more it seems like a waste. Besides I too am not a fan of how it looks.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #63
_kouki_monster_
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
_kouki_monster_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I dont think the coverlay look too bad but definitely not worth $150.
_kouki_monster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #64
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
My two-tone has an uncracked original dash and that fucker was manufactured in 1988.

My S13.5 had an uncracked dash until I used that armor all protectant on it. Dried up the vinyl and cracks showed up shortly after. Meguiar's products have yielded much better results for me.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #65
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^I've heard of armor all doing that to other people's cars.... seems like a good idea to avoid that stuff.

I stand by Aerospace 303. Been using it for years.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #66
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Uncracked dash in my S13. I don't do anything but wipe off dust with a towel every now and then.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #67
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
cbh148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
cracked in my hatch (alabama car all its life), uncracked in my vert (los angeles car all its life until 2011).

my first car was an '88 coupe from tennessee (not sure where it spent the majority of its life, but it could've been in tennessee) and had a crackless dash, but my asshole friend popped his boot heel on the passenger side of the dash, and shortly thereafter i went to the car one morning and it had cracked from the windshield all the way down almost to the glove box. shitsucked.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #68
O$mo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
O$mo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I cant say my dash is immaculate, but it is 99.999999999999999999999% prefect, besides these two chips that is smaller than a mm...

*sigh*
Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #69
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
^I've heard of armor all doing that to other people's cars.... seems like a good idea to avoid that stuff.

Does that stuff leave much gloss? I'm in the market for a new interior cleaner and I'm looking for something that leaves a matte look.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #70
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
to keep a crack from growing, you can drill a small hole at the end of the segment. This will relieve any stress. You can use the hole to mount a gauge or something. Obviously not everyone can do this, and it depends where the crack is.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #71
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

kouki-gymkhana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Those types of covers have been around for ages. I remember seeing stuff like that on the older Datsun Z cars and what not. I'm not a big fan of it. Its just a hard-shell cover that does exactly that, cover the ratty cracked dash.

I'de like to hear more about people or shops that specialize in refurbishing the OEM dash, not cheap replacements and patch-fixes... or worse, flock. I think thats just cheap shit. The way I see it, if I'm going to pull a dash out - I want it done right.
There is a company in California named Just Dashes that will take your cracked POS dash, strip the old vinyl off, repair/replace the foam, and then vacuum thermoform new vinyl over it. Of course, you will have to exchange $$$$$$$$ for this kind of work but you said you wanted it done properly.

I'm too lazy to link it but they have YouTube videos and all. Just google it.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #72
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki-gymkhana View Post
There is a company in California named Just Dashes that will take your cracked POS dash, strip the old vinyl off, repair/replace the foam, and then vacuum thermoform new vinyl over it. Of course, you will have to exchange $$$$$$$$ for this kind of work but you said you wanted it done properly.

At that rate, you might as well just buy a new one from the dealership.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #73
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

kouki-gymkhana is on a distinguished road
I don't think you can still buy a new dash from the dealer. Even if they list it in the parts catalog, good luck ACTUALLY finding one.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #74
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki-gymkhana View Post

NOW we're talking. its not about money, its about the job and quality of work.

thanks for the link, i owe you one.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #75
rv_zenki
Leaky Injector

rv_zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 96 s14. My dad bought it in 96 and it has a perfect dash. My dad daily drove it except for the winter and now I do the same. I have no protection for it or anything
rv_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #76
rv_zenki
Leaky Injector

rv_zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
And I don't garage it
rv_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #77
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
the real question is what the fuck are honda dashboards made out of and why didn't nissan take any notes, really burns my ass when some fucking kid with a civic from the 80;s has a nicer dashboard than me.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #78
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Does that stuff leave much gloss? I'm in the market for a new interior cleaner and I'm looking for something that leaves a matte look.
I use it on all panels and makes it look like new... helps hide small scratches and gives it a slightly deeper matte look. No gloss.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #79
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Luckily, I've never had a cracked dash in any of my S13s. The dash in my coupe is pristine, and I intend on keeping it that way by keeping it in the garage, and keeping up on cleaning it.

I did have a tiny crack that was starting in my hatch. I generally clean out my interior and wash my car at least every other week, so I know that the crack was new when I found it. I just cleaned the dash, and took a very small amount of clear super glue (I used a toothpick to put it on, that's how little I used) and after it dried I haven't seen it grow. That was a little over a year ago, and that car never sits in the garage, and I don't use a sun shade (although I really should get one).

The biggest thing to remember is to check all your interior cleaners and make sure that they don't have any petroleum products in them. Those are the problem, they may make your dash all shiny, but they also dry it out and make it prone to cracking. You can check by looking at the back of the product's container, it will usually say if it has petroleum products in it. I would highly advise people to go watch these videos before detailing your own car: http://www.ammonyc.com/videos/
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #80
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

It's not just Armorall though. You need to actually check each specific cleaner, because even some of Armorall's products are ok to use. They have some "quick wipes" for interior that don't have silicone that I'll use sometimes. But even with those wipes made by Armorall, some will have silicone, some won't. You just need to look into each one to find a good cleaner. Even some Mother's and Meguire's stuff have silicone in them.
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #81
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

InsTanCeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
If my dash cracked, I would just do a suede or alcantara upholstered dash. They look amazing and they will have no windshield glare. It also gives the s-chassis a more modern look in my opinion. Otherwise, dashmats, or just fixing the oem dash are pretty good options.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #82
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
no petroleum for interior cleaners!
check ^
thanks for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #83
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I voted cracked even though I am not. I've replaced the dash 3 times now... they don't last long.

I have a carpet cover that I throw on it every time I park.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #84
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsTanCeZ View Post
If my dash cracked, I would just do a suede or alcantara upholstered dash. They look amazing and they will have no windshield glare. It also gives the s-chassis a more modern look in my opinion. Otherwise, dashmats, or just fixing the oem dash are pretty good options.

My understanding is the S13 is impossible to cover without some stitch work. Also, real alcantara is very expensive. That Walmart suede people use sunfades and rots out in just a short amount of time. Having a pro do that dash will set you back a min $500.

I would go with a vinyl and a tailored look.

http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/9...redCovers.html
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #85
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
Living in Hawaii, I'm glad that both of my 13's have crack free dashes. I've always used windshield shades, and I'm also a believer in the 303 aerospace protectant. To me it does the job, of keeping the area applied, from going dry. It also doesn't add that artificial gloss, like Armor All. I'd still really like to get a dash flocked though. It looks wicked, and prevents glare, what's not to like?
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #86
az_240
Post Whore!

flocked dash is hard to clean the dirt out of....
Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #87
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
Quote:
flocked dash is hard to clean the dirt out of....
Never thought about that. I still like the way it looks though.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #88
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #89
Misfit02actual

Misfit02actual is an unknown quantity at this point
Option

This may help

http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan...kins/coverlay/
Misfit02actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #90
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Mine was uncracked until I dropped part of my roll cage on it and cracked it like a dumbass. It was already brittle though, I can literally push my fingernail into the the top of my dash.
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote