Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
fukusdm01
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
fukusdm01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Car backed up into me..few questions

Well actually its my girlfriends car and she was driving. Anyway, she was at her school campus and she was behind a car waiting in line basically for a parking spot. The dude infront of her (a nissan armada) saw a parking spot near the left side of him so he backed up hella fast into her car. Here's the aftermath:

sorry if pics are too big. Anyway, she has liability so her insurance wont do anything and we filed a claim against the other guy. Right now her car is at some place getting appraised or whatever and I have a feeling its going to be totaled like every other old 240 from this kind of damage. The only real damage im worried about is the rad core support is bent like 3 inches forward but its just the top part. I know its pretty easy to remove the spot welds and stuff but i know they'll charge an arm and leg at a shop lol. The hood and bumper are scrap and i can get one obviously easy for like 40bucks each. But thats not the problem.

My problem is that his insurance is asking what mods it has (he has progressive btw) and I don't know if we should really say its an SR if that even matters to them since its not OUR insurance dealing with it. Should I just say its a KA with a turbo? I also have a receipt from a recently bought GT2871r and some 750cc injectors. But the thing is that they aren't installed yet .. lolol. Do you guys think that they can actually tell if the t25 in the car right now isnt new? Annndd can I show them that so that if they "total" my car then it will raise some value and we'll get more money from it?

I know a lot of you are going to say mods dont make a difference but I've seen a lot of threads where insurance has payed for stuff like this. The only receipts we have for this car is the turbo and injectors and maybe some other little stuff like gauges and whatnot. What you guys think??? are we screwed with some gay KBB price? Thanks in advance Zilvia.
fukusdm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
iamthewinner
BANNED

iamthewinner is an unknown quantity at this point
No need to tell about sr and all that bs.

Pretty sure their gonna total it. Get moola and buy it back.
iamthewinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
fukusdm01
Leaky Injector

I know they are most likely going to total it, but im trying to get as much money possible from this dudes insurance. He even clearly said it was his fault in the police report and told his insurance the same. I just dont want them to screw us over, we should get our moneys worth.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
240trooper
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
240trooper is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trooper Send a message via Yahoo to 240trooper
When his insurance comes to check the damage on your car they are going to check if there is any mods and notice the sr. You might get lucky and get someone stupid but most likely they will see there is an sr when there is supposed to be a ka. I do t know how exactly that will affect your claim but it probably won't be good.

2.7L
240trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Pull the SR out, put a blown KA in it.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
iamthewinner
BANNED

iamthewinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure how big of pay-out ur expecting out of old schassis. whole idea if buying it back is to recoup ur loss if it's worth it.
iamthewinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
what do the modifications of the motor have to do with the body damage?

are they specifically asking about motor mods?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
endlessboost
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
endlessboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Is the reinforcement still there or did you take it out completely when you did the front mount?
They might give you some shit over that but I can't see how the motor would affect the body damage.
endlessboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
ultramagnus
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (41)
ultramagnus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Get a lawyer. been in 3 accidents all not my fault. lawyer dealt w/ insurance. no need to say a word on your part. except getting parts to fix up your car again and it'll all be reimbursed. happened w/ my 510 some jack hole smacked my rear qt panel, they were gonna total it so i said here's my lawyer total that.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
fukusdm01
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJDM View Post
what do the modifications of the motor have to do with the body damage?

are they specifically asking about motor mods?
^ i think because they asked my gf's mom about the car and she told them that we put some work and money into it. i think its because if there are mods, maybe it will raise what its worth. Like I said, other people on Zilvia have gotten more money on their settlements by showing them receipts and/or showing craigslist ads of the same car with similar mods done to it. im just waiting to see what they say back cuz we havent gotten a call back yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessboost View Post
Is the reinforcement still there or did you take it out completely when you did the front mount?
They might give you some shit over that but I can't see how the motor would affect the body damage.
^ no the reinforcement was taken out. i didnt do this swap tho so yeah. Nothing else is damaged except hood, radiator core support, bumper and headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramagnus View Post
Get a lawyer. been in 3 accidents all not my fault. lawyer dealt w/ insurance. no need to say a word on your part. except getting parts to fix up your car again and it'll all be reimbursed. happened w/ my 510 some jack hole smacked my rear qt panel, they were gonna total it so i said here's my lawyer total that.
^ Yeah i've heard of people doing this. Been telling my girlfriend that a lawyer helps a lot so ive heard.. just waiting for a call back from the guys insurance. did they give you money for just the parts that were actually damaged? how much was it? and how much for the lawyer?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
They will send someone out to appraise what the car is worth and if you think it is worth more you have to request that his insurance company send a custom car appraiser to figure what the car is worth.

You also need to have receipts from purchase of the aftermarket parts you have on the car. My 1989 coupe was appraised originally at $1850 and the damage totaled $3127, so I told the other persons insurance I needed to have an appraiser that knew custom cars properly value my car(so it didn't get totaled).

The insurance company was somewhere on the east coast(im west), so they had to call a local custom car appraisal company and have them do a valuation of the car.

Just be aware that this may take a couple of months and might not be worth the extra 200 you get in the end...but maybe you will end up with and extra 1000 and it will be worth your time.

Good luck.

PS my SR didn't matter to the appraiser, it was the aftermarket parts and labor spent to built an equal car.
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
fukusdm01
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
They will send someone out to appraise what the car is worth and if you think it is worth more you have to request that his insurance company send a custom car appraiser to figure what the car is worth.

You also need to have receipts from purchase of the aftermarket parts you have on the car. My 1989 coupe was appraised originally at $1850 and the damage totaled $3127, so I told the other persons insurance I needed to have an appraiser that knew custom cars properly value my car(so it didn't get totaled).

The insurance company was somewhere on the east coast(im west), so they had to call a local custom car appraisal company and have them do a valuation of the car.

Just be aware that this may take a couple of months and might not be worth the extra 200 you get in the end...but maybe you will end up with and extra 1000 and it will be worth your time.

Good luck.

PS my SR didn't matter to the appraiser, it was the aftermarket parts and labor spent to built an equal car.

Wow it really seems like i should just take what they give me lol. Well is it possible that they can cut us the check for enough to fix just the rad core support.. cuz seriously a bumper and hood can be found at the junkyard. Well i guess its just better to get a new car with the money.. iuno its my girls car so its up to her what she wants. She just really likes this car cuz its her first car and has sentimental value to her. Well i guess ill just have to wait till they call back.. hopefully tomorrow .. then ill find out and go on from there.. keep you guys updated.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
510erv
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
510erv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yea the sr wont matter the only thing that matters is how nice your paint and interior is and miles on the car clean or salvage if your tire are good dents and if the motor is clean like oil leaks stuff like that
510erv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
Pull the SR out, put a blown KA in it.
+1 cus if they do total it you may not have the option of getting it back so you should take the most expensive part out in case they just take it. Also if they do total it and give you the buy back option, you will have to get it fixed and have it inspected by the state, in Cali it's the CHP that does it, and u definitely don't want that motor in the car when u get it inspected by DOT / State Troopers / DMV... So with that being said it'd be a smart idea to pull that motor and put it back to stock
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
memphis180sx
BANNED

memphis180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
There not gunna give u much more for the mods my vert had about the same mods as u and after a day of driveing it a lady ran over me. The best thing u can do is buy the car back get as much for the mods as u can swap the motor to another shell or sell it.
memphis180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
When my first shell was totalled out, we asked our insurance company for a little time before they took the car. We told them I had been "restoring it" and would like to get some of the new parts off first. They said OK and I had a stock part replacement party. When they finally picked it up, it looked like something you'd see at the junkyard. 3 different wheels, hubs with broken studs, brakes bolted on but not attached, fenders and bumper ziptied on, etc.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
Driftingcorners
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Driftingcorners is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The only reason why they are asking for mods is cause they will pay you the fuck out for damaging them. Don't worry about the SR, it has nothing to do with the claim.
Driftingcorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramagnus View Post
How much were the lawyer fees? Sounds like you wouldn't get much money back, after you pay the lawyer.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
slim
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
slim is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Do you guys think that they can actually tell if the t25 in the car right now isnt new? Annndd can I show them that so that if they "total" my car then it will raise some value and we'll get more money from it?

after this statement being on the internet i wouldnt get too greedy. you are talking about defrauding an ins company. if they find out that would be bad. if they try and screw you with a bullshit number i would just hire a lawyer and let them deal with it. most likely the at fault will have to pay for the lawyer anyways. every time i had a claim on my 240 i have been paid well. had a $50 stereo stolen and a tear in my dash that payed me almost 2k. hit a raccoon and got payed 1600 for an intercooler that they couldnt find new anymore so they up'ed the value to a newer one that was twice the cost of the old one. in my experience they will pay up. hope it comes out it your favor good luck!

07 ugm STi-07 titan se-99 civic si sold-92 sil coupe-89 240 hatch
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
fukusdm01
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSR20Kid View Post
+1 cus if they do total it you may not have the option of getting it back so you should take the most expensive part out in case they just take it. Also if they do total it and give you the buy back option, you will have to get it fixed and have it inspected by the state, in Cali it's the CHP that does it, and u definitely don't want that motor in the car when u get it inspected by DOT / State Troopers / DMV... So with that being said it'd be a smart idea to pull that motor and put it back to stock
^ Yeah but here in Nevada, i dont think they care much.. they dont do much inspections or anything. Most likely ill be pulling the motor and everything and just having the car as a parts car in case the next 240 we get gets in a fender bender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis180sx View Post
There not gunna give u much more for the mods my vert had about the same mods as u and after a day of driveing it a lady ran over me. The best thing u can do is buy the car back get as much for the mods as u can swap the motor to another shell or sell it.
^ yeah seems like everyone saying this too. i guess ill have to see when they call back.. still waiting for that damn phone call "/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandevilhorns View Post
When my first shell was totalled out, we asked our insurance company for a little time before they took the car. We told them I had been "restoring it" and would like to get some of the new parts off first. They said OK and I had a stock part replacement party. When they finally picked it up, it looked like something you'd see at the junkyard. 3 different wheels, hubs with broken studs, brakes bolted on but not attached, fenders and bumper ziptied on, etc.
^ haha thats awesome. how much did you get from them? and did u pull your motor when they already cut you the check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Do you guys think that they can actually tell if the t25 in the car right now isnt new? Annndd can I show them that so that if they "total" my car then it will raise some value and we'll get more money from it?

after this statement being on the internet i wouldnt get too greedy. you are talking about defrauding an ins company. if they find out that would be bad. if they try and screw you with a bullshit number i would just hire a lawyer and let them deal with it. most likely the at fault will have to pay for the lawyer anyways. every time i had a claim on my 240 i have been paid well. had a $50 stereo stolen and a tear in my dash that payed me almost 2k. hit a raccoon and got payed 1600 for an intercooler that they couldnt find new anymore so they up'ed the value to a newer one that was twice the cost of the old one. in my experience they will pay up. hope it comes out it your favor good luck!
^ yeah thats true. not trying to get in trouble or any shit haha. wow 2k for a $50 stereo and a rip in the dash? howwww? lol. did you have full coverage cuz we only have liability.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #21
ultramagnus
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (41)
ultramagnus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
How much were the lawyer fees? Sounds like you wouldn't get much money back, after you pay the lawyer.
PM me some of this info might go into the wrong hands.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
So much misinformation in this thread. lol
Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
slim
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
slim is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
yeah i did have full coverage. a new dash from nissan is over 1k by itself. add in labor and some other odds and ends and bam totaled 240. adjuster was cool and took a few hundred off the estimate so it didnt total it. even though you only have liability, the other persons liabilty is covering it. so if you hit someone youre effed but if they hit you they're liabilty kicks in to fix youre shit.

07 ugm STi-07 titan se-99 civic si sold-92 sil coupe-89 240 hatch
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
freeagent3117
Zilvia Member

freeagent3117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
So much misinformation in this thread. lol
+1 lol good luck with some of these peoples advise.

They will pay you for whatever parts are needing repair/replacement. Only up to whatever the car is valued. You can have your car however you want, that doesn't matter. Taking the engine out is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Unless your in Cali lol.
If you think your car is worth more then what it will get totaled out at, you should've gotten it appraised as a collectors car. Which you would have to pay more insurance on (higher valued car). Most of us get boned when the car gets totaled because these cars aint worth much to insurance companies. You get like 2k for it then have to find a new shell and its way more pain in the ass and dont really make shit outta it. In your case you can fix the damage so your alright.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukusdm01 View Post
^ Yeah but here in Nevada, i dont think they care much.. they dont do much inspections or anything. Most likely ill be pulling the motor and everything and just having the car as a parts car in case the next 240 we get gets in a fender bender.
Well you should find out what the state inspection for salvage reconstructs is first off. And just cus nevada doesn't have emissions laws doesnt mean they are cool with the motor, so you should definitely find this out as well. Keep in mind that the whole salvage reconstruct process is more vigorous than a registration light and brake inspection. But if you were already plannin on pulling everything that's a good idea, just put it all back to stock and take the insurance check and get a new shell and put the parts back in it
Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent3117 View Post
Taking the engine out is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Unless your in Cali lol.
Just because there's no emissions in Nevada doesn't mean an SR20det swap is legal in the eyes of the federal authorities such as the EPA and DOT. OP needs to check into this and figure out if taking his SR20 powered 240 to a state inspector is a good idea. Talkin about misinformation, well he should find out if he's gonna get in trouble for having this motor in this car, cause, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe the DOT and EPA cleared this motor for street use in the US. So misinformation would be telling him it's a ok.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
fukusdm01
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Just because there's no emissions in Nevada doesn't mean an SR20det swap is legal in the eyes of the federal authorities such as the EPA and DOT. OP needs to check into this and figure out if taking his SR20 powered 240 to a state inspector is a good idea. Talkin about misinformation, well he should find out if he's gonna get in trouble for having this motor in this car, cause, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe the DOT and EPA cleared this motor for street use in the US. So misinformation would be telling him it's a ok.
Well actually there are emissions here in nevada but no actual "visual" inspection. Only if there's a cat converter (which i dont have lol) The insurance guy called me a little while ago and he already knew it was an SR but he said it didnt matter, i even told him i bought the car with the motor. He just wants to know the other mods and if i had receipts so they can give me a higher value on the car. We'll see what they have to say because they're going to give me a call back tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #28
freeagent3117
Zilvia Member

Quote:
He can't get in trouble for his engine. He didn't cause that accident, the engine was not the cause of the accident, it wasn't a stolen engine. You can not just get in trouble for this type of thing from a simple accident. So you believe since I have a cat delete and my exhaust gets messed up in a accident, I'm in trouble for removing the cat? Listen to what your are saying man. We do have rights.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #29
freeagent3117
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukusdm01 View Post
Well actually there are emissions here in nevada but no actual "visual" inspection. Only if there's a cat converter (which i dont have lol) The insurance guy called me a little while ago and he already knew it was an SR but he said it didnt matter, i even told him i bought the car with the motor. He just wants to know the other mods and if i had receipts so they can give me a higher value on the car. We'll see what they have to say because they're going to give me a call back tomorrow.
Thank you for proving my point for me, thank you
Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent3117 View Post
He can't get in trouble for his engine. He didn't cause that accident, the engine was not the cause of the accident, it wasn't a stolen engine. You can not just get in trouble for this type of thing from a simple accident. So you believe since I have a cat delete and my exhaust gets messed up in a accident, I'm in trouble for removing the cat? Listen to what your are saying man. We do have rights.
This was not my point at all, I was saying that AFTER he gets the car back from the insurance company and IF it is totaled then he WILL have to take it to get INSPECTED by some sort of STATE OFFICIAL to qualify it for salvage reconstruct title, and he may want to look into whether or not the STATE OFFICIAL doing the inspection will have an ISSUE with that motor being in his car. It has nothing to do with the car being responsible or not, it has entirely everything to do with salvage title reconstruct laws and inspection in Nevada, which I personally know nothing about since I don't live there, but I am suggesting that he looks into first to make sure that his motor will not be an issue because it is not a simple inspection as one deals with for registration, it is more involved and can sometimes deal with the authorities (DOT and Police) who may have an issue with his motor.... I love how I explained this same exact point like two posts earlier but you are so quick to judge and flame my response and not read that post at all