Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #151
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Okay when it's said two or three times and you keep asking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #152
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
LoneWolfK16 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
So I'm still having a slight misunderstanding when it comes to the dual mass setup. Someone please shed light upon my situation

If I purchased this clutch

http://www.frsport.com/ACT-NS1-XTR6-...T_p_15134.html
or
http://www.frsport.com/ACT-NS1-HDR6-...ET_p_1422.html

would I then have to purchase a new flywheel or will this be a direct bolt onto the dual mass?

I'm trying to prepare to replace my clutch in my car before it goes. (S15 Spec R with a 6MT). I just want to buy the right things once instead of back and forth'n it. I've been reading on this but I still cant grasp the concept of the correct setup on whether clutches are specifically designed for dual mass vs single mass.

"Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate. Any clutch kit for the 5MT will work, but if one is using the OEM S15 Dual-Mass Flywheel, then feel free to get an unsprung clutch kit, even though this may be costly. Sourcing a new OEM replacement clutch kit is rather difficult to find. You can use a sprung clutch kit on the Dual-Mass flywheel, but the dampening will be overkill and shifting between gears may feel sloppy. "

I've contacted FRSport and they were also unsure whether this would work. (Even though is says its 5 or 6spd compatible in their notes.)

Help would be much appreciated.
LoneWolfK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #153
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Like they say, get an unsprung clutch disc since you're using the dual mass flywheel. That's all.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #154
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Like they say, get an unsprung clutch disc since you're using the dual mass flywheel. That's all.

This doesn't answer my question what so ever.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #155
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfK16 View Post
This doesn't answer my question what so ever.
It does, sorta. Either of those clutch kits will work with the dual mass flywheel. The diameter of the disc and the mount points of the pressure plate are all the same. There are no physical differences between the 14 and 15 clutch apart from the 14 ones have springs in the friction plate to absorb harsh loads. S15's don't 'need' this as the dual mass fly does the same job but fitting a S14 clutch to a S15 will not be detrimental at all.

Personally (just an opinion of a guy on the internet), I'd get rid of the dual mass flywheel and find a good lightweight flywheel. It will need to be S15 specific due to the flywheel being physically thicker than the S13/S14 one. If converting to a single mass lightweight flywheel, then you'd probably want to consider a sprung clutch (ie a normal SR clutch kit available).
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #156
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Yep, just get an aftermarket flywheel with the specific offset for the s15 transmission, and then you can use any s13/s14 aftermarket clutch.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #157
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Yep, just get an aftermarket flywheel with the specific offset for the s15 transmission, and then you can use any s13/s14 aftermarket clutch.
Ehh, rather keep the dual mass on. Its really nice when daily driving.
Thanks for the input fellas.

Hope the ACT clutch works. Cheers
Old 03-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #158
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

You'll want an unsprung disc on a dual mass flywheel.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #159
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had the nismo coppermix sports clutch kit which is a lightweight single mass steel flywheel, and a full face unsprung clutch disc and it felt amazing, relatively easy pedal feel but still incredibly sporty feeling. Best way to describe it would be like a Porsche gt3 or similar kind of sports car.
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #160
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakotanGazelle View Post
I had the nismo coppermix sports clutch kit which is a lightweight single mass steel flywheel, and a full face unsprung clutch disc and it felt amazing, relatively easy pedal feel but still incredibly sporty feeling. Best way to describe it would be like a Porsche gt3 or similar kind of sports car.

I have the same kind but after installing the nismo coppermix kit, then created issue engine stalling and shuts off before stopping traffic lights. So kept doing heel toe all the time. Some say its the flywheel too light? Did you adjust TPS or change throttle body? Any help would appreciate it.
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #161
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
It does, sorta. Either of those clutch kits will work with the dual mass flywheel. The diameter of the disc and the mount points of the pressure plate are all the same. There are no physical differences between the 14 and 15 clutch apart from the 14 ones have springs in the friction plate to absorb harsh loads. S15's don't 'need' this as the dual mass fly does the same job but fitting a S14 clutch to a S15 will not be detrimental at all.

Personally (just an opinion of a guy on the internet), I'd get rid of the dual mass flywheel and find a good lightweight flywheel. It will need to be S15 specific due to the flywheel being physically thicker than the S13/S14 one. If converting to a single mass lightweight flywheel, then you'd probably want to consider a sprung clutch (ie a normal SR clutch kit available).
Now this answered it perfectly. Thanks mane.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #162
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Eoken is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Time to do a little 6 speed work! I am doing a S15 six speed swap on my blacktop S13. I will be making a custom drive shaft and be running a S15 HLSD with a 3.69 ring gear to get the S15 stock gear ratio. Here is what I had found out installing my SR20DET 5 speed VSS drive gear onto the outputshaft of the S15 6 speed. Hope his info helps people!

S13 VSS Drive gear was bored out by hand from 25.0mm inside diameter to 27.9mm using a round file (I have seen some people say 28.0mm but I kept checking it with my caliper and got 27.9mm...). The steel ball that keeps the drive gear rotating interdependently from the shaft sticks out 5.1mm when installed in its hole. I used a small green rotary tool bit to make the half circle in the drive gear deeper to fit the ball. I then used two a 1-1/18 inch external snap rings to secure the drive gear from moving up or down. to do this I had to take off a mil or two off the top and bottom inside portion of the gear and notching out a place for the ends. It fits well and the S13 VSS installs smoothly and seems to spin nicely when I spun the output shaft when it was all back together. I know people have talked about doing this but I might e the first S13 guy to try it lol! If you are interested in any more details/ methods/ tools just let me know and I can help.

Eoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #163
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, beautiful work and great detail. My question is will your speedo be off since you're using the S15 3.69 FD, and the S13 was 4.08. I forget about the interchangability of sensors, but S14 SR had the 3.69 FD also.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #164
Eoken
Zilvia Member

Yes, I will need to use a speedo correction kit like a yellow box or similar product. But it should be very straightforward since the signal will not have to be converted.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #165
Eoken
Zilvia Member

does anyone know where I can find the torque specs for the rear transmission housing (using 12mm bolts for the 6 speed? it is mentioned in the original post make sure to torque them to spec but the spec is not mentioned.

I have looked in the SR20DET S14 factory service manual and it is not even mentioned for the 5 speed in there >. >

FSM:http://www.240edge.com/manuals/s14_sr20det.pdf

the transmission section starts on page 369
Old 05-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #166
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoken View Post
does anyone know where I can find the torque specs for the rear transmission housing (using 12mm bolts for the 6 speed? it is mentioned in the original post make sure to torque them to spec but the spec is not mentioned.

I have looked in the SR20DET S14 factory service manual and it is not even mentioned for the 5 speed in there >. >

FSM:http://www.240edge.com/manuals/s14_sr20det.pdf

the transmission section starts on page 369
Check the S15 manual, may be in there: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/S15/S15/
Old 05-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #167
Eoken
Zilvia Member

top work loSt180, you lead me right to my answer! 22-28ftlb

Old 05-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #168
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post

Turns out the clutch inside the car was a NISMO Super Coppermix and I was not able to install the new ACT due to the flywheel being totally different than stock.

Lesson learned..
Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #169
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Those are VERY good clutches. Honestly one of the best available. I'd seriously look into refurbishing that clutch lol.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:36 AM   #170
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Those are VERY good clutches. Honestly one of the best available. I'd seriously look into refurbishing that clutch lol.

Yeah I thought about just replacing the disc, but both the fly wheel and pressure plate have severe heat spots all over. The clutch disc was inspected and gauged and still had plenty of life on it. But yet its starting to slip. Its been in the car for about 4-5 years now. Probably gonna just but a new one from.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #171
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Should be able to get the flywheel resurfaced and maybe a replacement pressure plate ring? Rhd Japan has lots of clutch refurbish stuff but never looked for that one specifically.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #172
Busted_daily
Leaky Injector

Busted_daily is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey so after reading if I went with the 6puck white bunny package which is competition clutch and aftermarket flywheel it should work fine with s15 6speed trans
Busted_daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #173
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

S15 trans needs an s15 specific flywheel.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #174
joaquin714
Zilvia Member

joaquin714 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I use a s15 clutch flywheel combo on a s13 sr? I know physically it will bolt up but curious if the throw out has diff.
joaquin714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #175
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin714 View Post
Can I use a s15 clutch flywheel combo on a s13 sr? I know physically it will bolt up but curious if the throw out has diff.

You can if you also use the s15 6sp transmission.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #176
s13vette
Leaky Injector

s13vette is an unknown quantity at this point
Links to buying 6speed flywheels?
s13vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #177
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13vette View Post
www.google.com
Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #178
Fastimport

Trader Rating: (0)
Fastimport is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone know what these weigh?
Considering bringing one in from Japan to do surgery on the bell housing so it will bolt on to my L-series truck engine.

Would be nice to know ahead of time what shipping will cost.
Fastimport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #179
Fastimport

Well, I just bought one of them, so I will find the weight once I have the shipping bill, no problem.

Now I need to find one that has blown, as I would like a spare bell hosing to modify to fit an L-series engine.
Someone must have a one that they blew...
Old 10-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #180
Fastimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13vette View Post
I have bought these flywheels out of Japan for 15 years, sold hundreds of them, and never an issue.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q172944733

And at the very top is a link to 'Buyee', which is Yahoo's forwarding service.

The only reason I no longer sell flywheels is because of the stinking chinco crap being sold for shit low prices.
You know, the shiny black ones that everyone who deals in chinco shit to make a fast buck at the end user's expense.