Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
driven_
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
driven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
bah, rust! help!

alright guys i just bought my new and 2nd s14.
i looked at it at night with a flashlight and noticed it was clean.
but i have some issues.

i have rust on the red line here (not actual picture, i know its an s13, but its on my s14)

its not on the "unbody frame" or the "frame rail" but instead on the tower wall. can it be welded and still be strong? or what?
help!

heres an actual picture.

EDIT: how much do you guys think it would cost?

Last edited by driven_; 02-02-2009 at 07:52 PM..
driven_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
LoanShark
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
LoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine went under the knife and that was one of the spots cut and patched. So i would say gopher it.

Will it be as strong as factory? I dunno. I guess it would depend on the gauge metal used and welder.

Mine was stitched and sealed.

Last edited by LoanShark; 02-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: added to it
LoanShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
codunc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
codunc is making a name for him/her selfcodunc is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
it's a really common problem spot for rust. just cut it out and weld some metal in
codunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
My whole strut tower on my s14 split from the frame rail.

Welded in a patch and good to go.
Ninjabread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Dripping brake fluid sucks. Cut it out and weld a patch in, no biggie.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
its fine. if you can't get it out with a brush wheel then cut and reweld.
nice tubs
Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
LoanShark
Zilvia Member

LoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewayz240 View Post
Dripping brake fluid sucks.
yeah it might be ricey but, stick one of those wrist band things or a sock on afterwards. I'll probably get a Mugen one just to be a dickhead.
LoanShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
driven_
Zilvia Addict

driven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to beholddriven_ is a splendid one to behold
EDIT: picture moved to top

Last edited by driven_; 02-02-2009 at 08:00 PM..
driven_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

The Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really nice
yup, cut it out and stitch her up with a good gauge of steel and some stitch welds. I don't miss the northern salt and rust rust rust.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
remember to apply corrosion protection to keep from rusting. the faster u do it after you weld the new patch the better it will be. Dont expose the metal to the outside air for too long.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Zero-Offset
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Zero-Offset is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, same shit is happening to my S13.
It would probably take 3-4 hours from start to finish, depending on how proficient you are. Its unlikely too that you can get to it without at least taking off the exhaust mani, since its kinda tight in that area, that's another time consumer.
Zero-Offset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
It'll be fine. I'd probably add a gusset there just to provide additional strength from the frame rail to the strut tower.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #13
¹²³Klan™
BANNED

¹²³Klan™ is an unknown quantity at this point
cut it out, weld it back in.

for the other rust if its bad as above, cut it out completely. If its not grind it down and use deruster and then seal it with a anti rust spraypaint/primer.
¹²³Klan™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
driven_
Zilvia Addict

moar halp ideas?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
if you don't wanna do it but want it done contact Vinny @ www.destructionwarehouse.com
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
driven_
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
if you don't wanna do it but want it done contact Vinny @ www.destructionwarehouse.com
got more info on em?