Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-21-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
veil_side_
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
veil_side_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Ack! Help! My car took a turn for the worst!

Okay. Quick and simple its like my car decided to go apeshit and attempt to commit automobile Hari Kari.

It's a stock KA24DE but here is the deal and I'll need some help.

1. My car still idles funny and dies. It will stay on but as soon as I shift, BAM!. Everything goes silent and before I know it, my brakes don't work and my steering wheel is harder to turn then a 500lb corpse.

2. My rear end is making a grinding noise in REVERSE. I'll be pulling out from a parking space and all I hear is *grrr grrr grrr*. I don't know if it could be my rear brakes rubbing or what. But wouldn't they do that while I'm driving forward.

3. My clutch pedal is getting stuck. THAT, I DO NOT ENJOY! I'll be driving and the pedal will get stuck half way! After, I have to pull it back with the top of my foot. Thats not so great when you are pulling into I-20 and you shift and. . .nothing happens!

4. My electronics don't work STILL! I'm coming up on the year anniversary since they stopped working and guess what, I STILL HAVEN'T figured it out! I've taken it from mechanic to enthusiast and all I hear is "its got to be some sort of internal short!" I still don't think its that. I mean, how?!

Symptoms include : My stereo and seatbelts don't work and guess what? My interior lamp stops working but its somehow connected to my dash clock because when I try to turn it on and off, the clock turns on and off. The clock also has taken upon itself to reset itself everytime the car turns on and off. Yay for me.

I've tried looking in the fuse box and one of the fuses is missing from it. The one the says "Electronics" but no fuse fits it. All of the ones I've tried fall out. Its almost as if I need a custom fuse. I know I sound like an idiot but lord knows that when I read up on turbo, performance, and the dynamics of cars in books, they fail to mention these types of things. Dammit!

I don't know what happened.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
prInce
Leaky Injector

prInce is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to prInce
try a new 240? :-p
j/k

did you get your clutch inspected? the grr grr sound could be from the clutch (it was on mine and when i got a new one, the sound was gone)

the dome light 'n stuff, i'd say it's the fuse. but you said you've already had it checked out and the mechanic said it's an internal short... that's hard to find. you'd have to rip apart everything and locate the short.

if the body on your car's good and there's no rust of any sort, sr20 baby
Injen Intake
Juran Front Upper Strut Bar
prInce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:14 PM   #3
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
here;s my take on the matter...either:
1. Sell it to some ricer drifter-wannabe
2. Part it out
3. Let someone steal it and talk to the insurance man.
...495. Try to fix it.
Get my drift?

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
sgp180sx

sgp180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
your clutch pedal is getting stuck because your slave or clutch master cyclinder is going bad, replace both the slave cyclinder and clutch master cyclinder and itll be fine. Its like 40 bucks for each one.
sgp180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:44 PM   #5
andrave
BANNED

andrave is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to andrave
well, what you could do if you have a short is put a multimeter on between the ground and the battery to read amperes. start pulling fuses till the draw disappears and you found your short...
thats if its shorting with the engine off and draining the battery.
sounds like you are just gonna have to track down your electric gremlins yourself. There is no mystery or magic in electricity, its a science and there are tons of books on and about it, so you need to get a multimeter and a couple library books and hit that shit up.
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:49 AM   #6
DuffMan
Post Whore!

DuffMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to DuffMan
Doesn't sound like a short, as much as a loose or corroded connection. A lot of times this happens at the battery terminals, but since you didnt mention trouble starting, it sounds like it could be after the positive cable branches off to starter and fuse box. Could also be bad grounds somewhere, like on the engine block.

This would explain your clock reseting. It could also explain the stalling, because your alternator may not provide enough current at low rpm, and since the power from the battery is being interupted by a bad connection, the car stalls.

Clutch problem is probably the mc or sc like someone said.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote