Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
3NDLESS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ka24e No spark

Ive decided to redo my cam timing as the car felt as if it was off (no top end power even at wot) I began this 3 days ago and before, car worked properly other than what I stated above. Once i've reassembled everything car cranks good but not sparking.

Things to take note of?
- Doing my timing I set everything at tdc, and noticed cam timing was off like several tooths so I adjusted cams to be 12:00 at tdc.
- Took off oil pump/dizzy while tdc and the shaft looks like D and rotor faces
3rd cylinder
-never took out dizzy during the process of me doing timing)
-Ignitior gets power, tested with multimeter
-car was literally running sparking fine and all before
-removed a plug and wire and placed it to strut tower bolt, no arcing
-cleaned grounds (firewall to engine block, next to coolant temp sensor, two grounds around headlight, battery ground to tray to intake)
-after cranking, it backfires once (i unplugged fuel pump fuse)

Never decided to get new parts because I don't want to spend money as of right now because I "know" ignition related parts work based off the fact it was running fine days ago and I decided to tear it down upon my own accord.

Now my first idea of a culprit would be the dizzy went bad from me adjusting timing. I've heard that the sensor inside it controls spark (cam position? was on one of the manual diagrams). So I'm going to borrow a friend's dizzy and test.

1/7/19
I replaced dizzy. When replacing dizzy I put to tdc and double checked that I was at the right stroke by putting a screwdriver head in spark plug hole no. 1. When the screwdriver pops out then theres comp stroke. When I looked at the shaft and the half moon or "D", was 180 off compared to my dizzy so I rotated rotor to correct orientation. Not only that cam sprocket was off and so I readjusted it to tdc. NOW TIMING SHOULD BE A1. Put everything back together and she starts up quick but idles shitty because I fouled the plugs trying to start with timing 180 off. Now I also decided to test my old dizzy which I suspected it going back. I took out the new dizzy and put in the old dizzy, making sure the rotor is aligned with 1st spark plug wire NOT TO MENTION CAR WAS WRENCHED TO THE CORRECT TDC. car kept cranking and never started.

So I guess if I had the new dizzy on with the "timing" i had previously would've not started at all and with the old dizzy with the correct timing, it wouldn't started either. But my lesson learned is to always double check your timing no matter how many times you think you did it right, you MOST LIKELY DID IT WRONG (I blame the people who posted their how to for being vague and in-descriptive . Ridicule me for that but like I stated previously dizzy went to shitter regardless so it wouldnt start. With my car running finally radiator went to shit so one problem fixed and another arises. Well played, its my repercussion for playing the game.

Last edited by 3NDLESS; 01-07-2019 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Fixed Problem
3NDLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
Coupes_FTW
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Coupes_FTW is making a name for him/her selfCoupes_FTW is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Prayin4u

minimumcharacterslimitations
Coupes_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote