Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #1
brian420sx

Trader Rating: (0)
brian420sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brian420sx
Advice on s14

I managed to pick up a great deal on an s14 that has a Ka completely stock. It was sitting under a car cover for years that then got blown off and was exposed to the elements. It had no hood and the fuel rail was not on... and the cylinder 4 plug and wire were open and had standing water in them.
Obviously this is bad. Even without the motor it was a good deal...
Question. Best way salvage the ka. What parts are likely f-ed. Just curious where to start
Please don't flame
Thanks
Old 07-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Friend bought a motor that had sand filling the plenum and missing cam caps. Vacuumed it out and didn't replace the caps it was the best running KA ever, no shit.

If it had standing water in the cylinders, it's f***ed.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 AM   #3
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is locked up? or does it turn over with a wrench? need to get the water out of the cylinder(s) first change the oil etc. If its locked up, spray a little PB plaster, kroil or something like that in the cylinders to see if the cylinders free up. worst case you'll have to find a new KA
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
agreed, remove all 4 plugs, throw a bit of kroil or pb blaster in and see if you can rotate the engine with a wrench or breaker bar

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
brian420sx

Hit a snag. Turns out there were 5 wasp nests in this car. Still working out that unforseen hurdle. Should I run cheap oil through it first and how long should I let the pb blaster sit other thing. It's an auto right now I have limited experience there. Will it be able to hand crank w that auto still on there in neutral
Thanks
Old 07-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian420sx View Post
Hit a snag. Turns out there were 5 wasp nests in this car. Still working out that unforseen hurdle. Should I run cheap oil through it first and how long should I let the pb blaster sit other thing. It's an auto right now I have limited experience there. Will it be able to hand crank w that auto still on there in neutral
Thanks
That's fine to run cheap oil to flush the engine. Let the pb blaster sit for a few minutes (2-5 minutes), set it in neutral and try to manually crank the engine. I believe the crank bolt is a 27mm (correct me if I am wrong). If possible, provide photos of the engine bay so we can have an idea.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
brian420sx

I will when I get my bee suit every time I start to mess w this car I get attacked. No jokke. So it's under a cover in driveway. I think im gonna drop a fogger grenade on this thing
Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Extreme Dimensions
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (9)
Extreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
I will when I get my bee suit every time I start to mess w this car I get attacked. No jokke. So it's under a cover in driveway. I think im gonna drop a fogger grenade on this thing
Roll up the windows and drop a bomb, watch where you sit until you vacuum it up afterwards. You can still get stung.
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
I don't fucks with wasps, would have seriously called a junk yard right then.

Crank bolt is a 27mm. For oil, I run the $12 rotella with a wix filter on my track/street car. Have been for years. Just change it before every event (no odo because shit hud) and it has always worked great. Bottles come in 4qt jugs which fills a ka perfect. Doesn't get cheaper than that. You could also throw some mystery oil into the cylinders, I've heard of that freeing old locked up motors.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

I would get a wrench on the crank bolt first though to see if it spins freely before pouring all this shit into the motor lol. Don't put all your strength into it, it should move with only a little force
Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Standing water in cylinders...I highly doubt it will run if it dose it won't be worth a shit. I'd suck the water out,drain oil, soak the cylinder walls down with some pb and don't be cheap with it hose it down like your girl.trying to get all the way around the cylinder walls like 360* Motion keeping it high. Thow a cheep ass oil n filter in it and try to turn it by hand. I've seen good running motors that got pulled in set on shelf when let setting for years with out being spun over from time to time rings rust to walls n then brake when u go to turn them over for the first time. Spraying the walls down helps a lot! So that motor is pretty much fucked.I truly would not even mess with that ka just pull it out. Then the options are as big as your Wallet. If your on a budget and are handy Diy got tools and a place to work on it Sr20 swaps r cheap n can't get much easier. You could rebuild what u got for about the same or Just say fuck it smack that Ol so grate LSX in there. Rb if your purist kind of guy.
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
brian420sx

Yeah I am strongly considering a motor swap but every ka part is still in original position and original harness position. A ka low boost t28 setup that pushes 270 to wheels can be had with way less effort(2 jobs and a kid man). Can a ka w standing water be machined and builtlt w forged internals or is it a cast iron paperweight?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
There's a chance of being able to reuse the block for shore u might get Lucky and only need a hone, all depends on how much rust and pitting on the cylinder walls. Imo by the time u hone the block turn the crank to verify that's good that's a few hundred, you still need rods pistons rings bearings that's about a grand and u still got to go threw the head which can be done on the cheap. But them u need a t28 and a manifold and injectors and then some kind of management mine as well put a clutch in there too. S13 Sr go for 1500-1800 and all u need is a fuel pump just my thoughts.
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
flartius
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
flartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnr32gtr View Post
S13 Sr go for 1500-1800 and all u need is a fuel pump just my thoughts.
Whaaat? Where are you finding this deal?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
CostFree
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
CostFree is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Put a bee suit on for safety and spray WD40 at the wasp nests, it should kill them. If you do try be cautious. Source: My pest control technician.

You can also try some Marvels mystery oil before you turn the engine over.
CostFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Brake parts cleaner drops wasps and any insect instantly. Not exaggerating.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #17
brian420sx

Update. Killed all the wasps. Fogger the garage. It's done.
Bad news. Pulled the plug and 7 quarts of water oil came out. No joke. I flushed it all out w oil(more water came out. I pb plastered the thing and now it's penetrating .... insert joke here.
The only reason I am up to tryin to nsave this and not go sr is that every accessory is all original and not hacked up at all. But its not looking good rught now
Thanks
Brian
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #18
brian420sx

2nd follow up. Where are you guys sourcing sr20s for 1500 to 1800.
Thanks
Brian.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 AM   #19
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
1500 dollar SR?

maybe its just me but...... i dont think so!
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #20
brian420sx

Ok that's what i thought too but I am screwed on this long block so I got some decisions to make.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Ok that's what i thought too but I am screwed on this long block so I got some decisions to make.
you're not being very realistic

cars been sitting for years and you think you you can just start it up?

pull the motor and rebuild it -OR- pickup a good used motor and move on

this isnt roadkill. if you want this car to work, its going to take some time and money
Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #22
brian420sx

Ok. I knew this to be a long term build. The car is a 97 auto. So with the KA needing full rebuild and the other MT swap stuff I will need there are decisions to make. I was hoping it would turn just so I knew the block could be rebuilt. I am gonna pull it out this weekend and get a closer look at everything ( insert joke here) thanks for help
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #23
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
More likely going to cost around 2200 for sr. Then if you don't want to do wiring you pay a premium there. Need intercooler set up, etc. Like someone else said, options are as deep as your wallet.
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #24
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

S13 SR's can be found 1800 if you take a time machine back to 2010. They are only going up in price. If you did decide to go SR, I highly recommend spending a few hundred extra to go notchtop. But yeah, with all the swap parts you'll need, expect to spend $3500-4k minimum. If it were me, I'd source another KA and rebuild it. Even if you went forged internals you'll come out spending less and having a fresh motor capable of more power and, more importantly, significantly more torque than an SR.

That's just my opinion though. Not trying to start an SR vs KA debate. KA is simply the easier and cheaper option here
Old 07-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #25
brian420sx

I agree. No need for that debate. But yeah I will be goin w another ka if this one is fully seized. Rather have 280hp 280tq than 300 200.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #26
ixfxi
Post Whore!

yeah but the KA is a terrible motor

they make great boat anchors though!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #27
brian420sx

Well this KA has already been comfortable with water for a while so it will work well for an anchor
Old 08-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #28
240sex_s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
240sex_s14 is making a name for him/her self240sex_s14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sex_s14
Quote:
Well this KA has already been comfortable with water for a while so it will work well for an anchor
rebuild the ka and go KA-T, it will come out to almost the same price as a SR. That's always a route to go too!
240sex_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #29
brian420sx

Well I just bought a small boat and while the ka would make a good anchor I'm still gonna build it and just stick w a cinder block to throw on my boat. Thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #30
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
I would look for a cheap replacement ka, throw it in and get all the other issues worked out of the car. Realistically most builds fall through, lord knows I've dropped numerous. Putting another engine in the car and getting it drivable will keep the enthusiasm up to build the engine.