Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Ambush

Trader Rating: (0)
Ambush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Boost and grind problems

new to the forum btw.

i've been searching up for a while and couldn't really find the right answer so hopefully you guys can.

I got a Red top SR, with a T25, and a HKS Exhaust.

Boost Problem- it starts to choke when I floor it, and tends to backfire pretty loud ( light gray smoke comes out ) but I'm guessing its because its running really rich.

Grinding Problem- My gears tend to grind pretty badly sometimes when i mostly put it in first and reverse.
ex. I'd be on my drive way backing out, and when i put it in reverse you hear this grinding noise, and it continues on till i put it in neutral or another gear. This happens with 1st gear a lot also.

Thanks.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
o1roadkingrider

o1roadkingrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Boost problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
new to the forum btw.

Boost Problem- it starts to choke when I floor it, and tends to backfire pretty loud ( light gray smoke comes out ) but I'm guessing its because its running really rich.
Could be a camshaft or other valve timing component wear. Is the smoke really gray, or is it kinda blue? Could be oil fouling of your plugs if its blue. A fouled plug would cause unburnt fuel in your exhaust, which is ignited by the next properly firing cylinder to create the "pretty loud" backfire.

Check your spark plugs and see how they look. Also, a compression check and vacuum reading would help determine if the engine is working properly before blaming it on a boost issue.

That's my .02 anyway.

JJ
Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Ambush

Ambush is an unknown quantity at this point
s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1roadkingrider View Post
Could be a camshaft or other valve timing component wear. Is the smoke really gray, or is it kinda blue? Could be oil fouling of your plugs if its blue. A fouled plug would cause unburnt fuel in your exhaust, which is ignited by the next properly firing cylinder to create the "pretty loud" backfire.

Check your spark plugs and see how they look. Also, a compression check and vacuum reading would help determine if the engine is working properly before blaming it on a boost issue.

That's my .02 anyway.

JJ
thanks.

I'm going to need a turbo rebuild.
=[
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote