Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Asmar
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Asmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 Car Keeps Turning Off!

My S13 keeps turning off randomly when I'm driving. Sometimes it will go 100 miles without turing off as I'm driving and sometimes it will go no more then 100 feet before turning off. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, took it to 2 different shops to get thing changed/fixed but problem is still here. More detailed info about the problem:

Changed:
- Battery
- Coil Pack
- Fuel Injector
- Fuel Pump
- Spark Plugs
- Spark Plug Wires

Nothing has worked! The car still keeps turning off randomly... What some people think the problem might be:

Possibilities:
- Engine Coolant Temperature Switch Malfunctioning
- Water in Fuel System/Tank
- Wiring Problem

Everything seems fine... Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or what it might be? Also something to note is when the car turns off randomly when I'm driving, it doesn't wanna turn back on for a while. I gotta try to turn it on and wait 2-3 mins and try again until it finally wants to turn on again. But once it turns on, I can turn it on and off normally. Turning the car on after it has turned off randomly is a pain... Also one more thing to note is sometimes the temp gauge reads the temp being very close to extremely hot when the car doesn't seem like its heating up or anything... Any help on this would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
krazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does the car turn off as in no pwer? or it just shuts off and u have to turn the key again? if its option 2 then check ur ecu... that happened with my z31 i thought it was fuel pump, filter, injectors plugs alternator everything lol... i finally sold the car to a friend and she picked up an ecu from the junk yard and it worked fine afterwards lol..
krazyfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Asmar
Zilvia Junkie

Asmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfil View Post
does the car turn off as in no pwer? or it just shuts off and u have to turn the key again? if its option 2 then check ur ecu... that happened with my z31 i thought it was fuel pump, filter, injectors plugs alternator everything lol... i finally sold the car to a friend and she picked up an ecu from the junk yard and it worked fine afterwards lol..
Yeah it just turns off and I have to turn the key again. I'll change the ECU and see what it does. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
krazyfil
Zilvia Addict

krazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choiceskrazyfil has made poor choices
no prob best of luck... the reason i just got rid of the car is cuz i thought the wiring was messed up... (i got the car with over 300k) so check ur local junk yeard and see if that makes a difference if not.. dont know what else to say
krazyfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
shinmei-2006
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
shinmei-2006 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
does your ebrake light come on when it shuts off?
shinmei-2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmar View Post
I'll change the ECU and see what it does. Thanks for your input.
Before you go thru the hassles of replacing the ECU, have you put it in Diagnostic Mode & checked to see if it is kicking any codes?? If your car is cutting out on you for no apparent reason, then chances are you have a bad connection somewhere in your wiring harness. Checking the ECU for codes might help you track down the problem area. It could be anywhere and finding it will be a bitch. The usual suspect areas are where the wiring harness connect to the ECU, the fenderwell area...lowered S13 tires rub thru the fender well & rub up against the body harness, the wiring leading to the main fuses in the engine compartment by the battery, and maybe the harness leading up to the ignition switch. Trying to figure out the problem is going to take a patient mechanic & plenty of time...cuz he'll have to trace every stinking circuit to figure out which one is causing the problem.

Goodluck!!...Hope this helps...

ID
Old 07-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
skyvia686
Zilvia Junkie

skyvia686 is an unknown quantity at this point
do you have a car alarm? because i was out in my s13 wednsday night sliding and my car randomly turned off in a mid drift. we all couldnt figure out what was wrong esp since me and my friends arent that hot on wiring. we all guessed the car alarm wiring. so i towed it to the shop i go to and they said whoever installed it were dumbasses and there was a major short in the wiring. i would say even if you dont have an alarm check the ignition wiring, just about every wiring for the dash harness that would have to do with ignition fuel pump ect ect.
skyvia686 is offline   Reply With Quote