Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Coolant Swirl Tank : How To Installment no.2 *Approved*

How to hook up a coolant swirl tank for constant bleed on your coolant system.

This is great for road racing or pretty much any application to assure that your system is free of hot air pockets which can destroy cooling efficency and possibly blow your engine.

Note Most of the KITS do not come with a provided radiator hose intercept T thing like for a temp gauge fitting etc. I used the Circuit Sports one which is almost the same thread as the greddy, just be liberal with teflon tape or get the Greddy one seperatly from them or the distributor(anodized blue).

Youll need some simple tools

8mm socket
10mm socket
11mm open end
10mm/8mm open if you want
Needle Nose Plyers
A sharp Razor or in my case Spyderco Rescue Knife (ats55 steel ftw!).
And if you want to do it like me- 1/8 pipe thread TAP and 1/8 thread (1/4 inch nipple fitting for the bleeder). A drill bit for metal is good too to start the hole if you want to retro fit it in the same way.

Some stuff youll need
Extra 1/4 inch hose fuel or clear accrylic vaccum hose
If you want to have backup length.
Some small Hose clamps and optional stainless steel braided line
If you want to route it the exact same way that I did on my install...
New Hose clamps for the radiator hose are always reccomended.

1. Drain the coolant out of the Radiator Drain plug at the bottom
or you can just pull the lower hose off and drain it into a pan.

2. Pull the top radiator hose off and prepare to remove the water jacket.
The water jacket on the top of the engine is located on the exaust side.
This is the side that i re-tapped for the 1/8th pipe fitting.

This is the area your talking about...

3. The exaust side water kneck/jacket can be taken off with a 10mm socket and extension on a rachet. There are 3 in a triangle figure like the pic.
Tap it gently with a rubber mallet to break the silicon seal.

4. **OPTIONAL** if you want to install a NISMO thermostat at this time (which I highly reccomend for summer states like CA or FL) ---

--Same goes for the intake side water kneck that houses the thermostat.
Loosen the 3 10mm bolts and tap it gentle with a mallet.

this kneck...

5.Ok, now with bot hoses off and kneck(s) off the motor take the exaust kneck and the loosen the 10mm bleeder screw out of it with a 10mm open end or socket. Now install the greddy or other provided nipple fitting which threads directly into the kneck. Be VERY careful when torquing it, a little more than hand tight and it will break and stay stuck in the bleeder area(tap).

If this happens as It did to me cus im a power lifting east germn, then youll need to customize it. I used a 1/8 inch metal drill bit from ace hardware after unscrewing the brken piece with a screw driver that was sharpened. Drill the hole larger so you can fit the 1/8th inch pipe thread tap into the hole and re tap it. make sure its centered when you drill the hole so you dont compromise the rise out of the kneck.

Now get your tap and an 11mm open end (as that was the size of the top of my tap's drive head). and spray some wd-40 on the place your about to tap then slowly start to tighten it into the new virgin aluminum. Re tap it a couple times and take your time. Then when you think youve got good thread hand thread your new brass nipple fitting into place and then wash it throughly out with a jet from a hose from your house to get all aluminum shavings out.

6. After Cleaning the kneck surface and block mating surface (get the old silicon off), Your well on your way to finalizing the easy install...

Re apply either Ultra Grey (which i reccomend if you can get it) or High Temp Silicon (i used copper but usually dont reccomend), just the right mount (not too liberally, to the surface of the water kneck on the block and the kneck itself.

Now just re-tighten the Bolts 3 (10mm). About 6 ft lbs or one good 45 deg turn once it tight with a rachet.

7. Now Re- attach the upper radiator hose

8. Now take the lower radiator hose and cut it in half, with the shorter length being towards the radiator although it does not matter. Take your CS or Greddy Insert for the Rad hose and insert and clamp, and also tighten down the other provided fitting for this piece in the kit. (also a nipple). This will feed into the bottom fitting of the swirl pot itself.

9.Ok now take the provided line and your extra 1/4 inch line if you needed it. Here is how the line routing goes.

Mounting- I mounted Mine to one of the Nissan Chasis pre-tapped 10mm holes on the side of the shock tower, I used two 10mm bolts to
hold it in place. I reccomend using something like this. Make sure the Swirl tank is elevated in relation to the radiator cap and bleed hole.

1. The Upper Top Nipple feeds into the Resivor or Overflow tank (mine is in the mail soon so I just ran it as a overflow under the car for right now)
CAUTION---make sure if you just dump this line it is not throwing coolant at the brake or wheel area. coolant is slick. My car is not driving, just idling.
2. The Next nipple down the one that sticks out the same direction as the one I just mentioned goes to the Coolant Bleeder Nipple (the brass one for ex).
3.The one that is cock-eyed to these two goes to the Radiator Nipple (where the radiator cap is).

the one with the more clear line in this pic

4. The Bottom Nipple feeds back into the Lower Radiator Hose which should now have your nipple fitted into the aluminum Greddy or Circuit Sports Insert.

10. Route and snip and clamp (with provided clamps) use the needle nose to clamp the clamps on appropriately. If you route your around the back of the engine like me be sure to use steel braided line where it runs over the exaust side of the valve cover.

11. Now fill the car with the appropriate 60/40 or 55/45 mix of Coolant and Distilled water and let the car idle and warm up, You should see it working immediatly as coolant and bubbles come out of the bleeder line and travel into the swirl pot

Thanks to Dousan for turning me onto this (aka Aaron).

Note: This car is not being driven right now, be careful not to drain the res-line onto your brakes or tires.

route it to a res or straigth under the car from the swirl tank location.*

cheers and happy cooling

-steve (kochan) Shadows
Old 02-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
so your overflow is routed to the tire/brake area?
I don't like that idea.. antifreeze is very slick shit, esp when combined with petroleum, and the idea of hot rotor + coolant is very scary to me. Maybe just draining it straight down from it's current location would be best.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
so your overflow is routed to the tire/brake area?
I don't like that idea.. antifreeze is very slick shit, esp when combined with petroleum, and the idea of hot rotor + coolant is very scary to me. Maybe just draining it straight down from it's current location would be best.
The car is not driving yet. i just stuck it there until the resivor arrives

Ill make sure thats clear

Striaght down is fine as long as you have line long enough to drain under the car and not get all

over your nice or crappy wiring etc.

thanks I added a reminder on that note.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
You beat me to it. Very nice though.

Carlos
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice write up!

But why do you spell NECK as KNECK?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
+1 rep.

Tip: use a 91-93 Sentra SE-R water outlet gasket, available from Fel-Pro for about $1.50. It fits the SR water outlet perfectly and does not leak.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
I am planning my v-mount right now. I will have 2 fillers, one on the radiator and an extra one by the upper waterneack. Can I send a hose to the higher filler compared to the upper waterneck if the extra filler will be higher than the upper waterneck?

Carlos
Old 02-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
so by installing this we can now ditch the shitty coolant res.?
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
You should still have a coolent res. of some sort, for the extra coolent to drain into instead of just onto the ground (a requirement for most sanctioning bodys anyways in the US) But, it doesn't have to be higher than the rad anymore, could use something from summit racing or whatever and mount it low.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240trainee
You should still have a coolent res. of some sort, for the extra coolent to drain into instead of just onto the ground (a requirement for most sanctioning bodys anyways in the US) But, it doesn't have to be higher than the rad anymore, could use something from summit racing or whatever and mount it low.

Yeah exactly, use the res, instead of the ground, I dont have my res yet so mine is just draining.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz
I am planning my v-mount right now. I will have 2 fillers, one on the radiator and an extra one by the upper waterneack. Can I send a hose to the higher filler compared to the upper waterneck if the extra filler will be higher than the upper waterneck?

Carlos
Carlos Im not sure what you mean by extra filler? Got a pic or clarification.

The bleeder needs to be off the top of the sytem itself, not an external can from the top of the system.

hope that helps.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=97768
Old 02-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
steve shadows
Post Whore!

yeah also a good link, i was trying to debate whether or not the return has to go in before the thermostat ont he lower side or if it can go into one of the TB lines...

I just did it the instructed way for now.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Has to be at the lowest point possible.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
steve shadows
Post Whore!

New Development! woo hoo.

um, so i think

***the Radiator Cap needs to be moved to the swirl pot and the dumby cap needs to be moved to the top of the radiator***

im a retard.

that is all for now.(if im wronge let me know, i just ran all the coolant out of my motor...good times).
Old 02-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
yeah rad cap there and the dummy cap on the radiator

i forgot to say

i use a radiator cap on both actually haha never had a problem
the dummy cap is a pos. i wouldnt trust it. fell apart on me.

other then that...hmmm yeah.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Time to get the stant caps! Thanks.

Carlos
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
EAS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
EAS13 will become famous soon enoughEAS13 will become famous soon enoughEAS13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi guys, question for you.

I have my expansion tank setup exactly as it's laid out in this write-up, with one difference, I'm using a circuit sports reservoir tank.

In case you haven't seen it, it has a nipple on the bottom of the tank under the curved area (you can't see it in this pic, but it's there). This is where I have the overflow(top nipple) from my expansion tank going to.

Instead of allowing the reservoir tank to overflow out of the top nipple, where could I route it to return back into the cooling system? Or should I not do that at all?

Good write-up by the way, +1.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Great write up...I like the fact you even let us know what to do if you stripped out the threads.
You might want to work on your pics a little...I am still trying to get my eyes focused...lol

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 AM   #20
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Approved

Just kneeds the ktypos kremoved and some slightly improved sentence/paragraph structure. Also, finalize the How-to into one post, combining the rest of the info you provided in the subsequent posts.