Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anti Lag Systems (rally/drift)

It is a well known fact a phat power band makes for great sliding. With so many cars going the V8 route to get the desired torque curve what options do the smaller 4 and 6 cylinder guys have?

Recently i noticed the Bee*R gaining some popularity with the drift community which is a step in the right direction, however a few key things are missing.

Check out the details for the more popular secondary air injection systems found on many WRC cars: Brewed Motorsports: Turbo Anti Lag system aka ALS

2jz powered S13 running a combination of SAI and TBP Antilag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKmIvBw_AHI

Video of the Brewed Rally style ALS on a 4g63 VR4 running AEM ems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f577XUQgTcY

And of course an engine bay shot of a mitsubishi (check out the link above for the diagram of all the ALS parts)

I know there are a few people out there using a "rally style" anti lag in their drift builds
Please feel free to post up any questions, thoughts and idea's on ALS options for drift use, little Zilvia brain storm session if you will.

Last edited by tunermt; 06-26-2016 at 11:10 AM..
tunermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

InsTanCeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I know Ken Gushi uses one in his FR-S, but he also uses a Cosworth tuned EJ25 Impreza rally engine. It seems like a great idea, but it is very hard on the turbo and it will need to be replaced or rebuilt often, which can get pretty expensive. If I ever did this I would most definitely not use a ball-bearing turbo, a journal bearing turbo would be better since you could rebuild it. Gushi is using the Greddy TD06SH-25G turbo, which is a journal bearing turbo.
InsTanCeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
lude4life13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This reminds me of the Evo in Initial D lol. I would love to drive a car with an ALS and experience how it reacts in a racing environment.
lude4life13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
yes antilag can be very hard on things but if used sparingly and tuned for longevity even turbos can last a decent amount of time. I agree journal bearing is not a bad option as the center section doesn't have the plastic bearing cage the GT series uses for the BB.
(new EFR center section BB does use a metal "bearing cage" that help up great while we used one on the s13) Mitsubishi based turbos also seem to handle ALS pretty well from my experience with the 8/9 turbos.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
One day after doing a lot of turbo math
(update-Turbo Math, and what helped me - YouTube)

...I invented a ZERO LAG setup.

I came up with a bunch of detailed drawings on how one could use a 2nd Turbine (jet engine) to spool a turbo. The car would have two separate exhaust systems (perhaps 3) pending on what was planned. I spent many hours designing the system, only to find out Someone already built it.....

Jealous

The car
Development.

The video of the car
Fast Very Fast! - YouTube

Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
The best thing about 'anti-lag' is making the car sound like a war movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_epjB1fDzAM&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3&vq=hd1080
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
One day after doing a lot of turbo math
(update-Turbo Math, and what helped me - YouTube)

...I invented a ZERO LAG setup.

I came up with a bunch of detailed drawings on how one could use a 2nd Turbine (jet engine) to spool a turbo. The car would have two separate exhaust systems (perhaps 3) pending on what was planned. I spent many hours designing the system, only to find out Someone already built it.....

Jealous

The car
Development.

The video of the car
Fast Very Fast! - YouTube

That build is absolutely amazing
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
This will be of interest to you.

Beyond the Dyno: Rocket Anti-lag Teaser

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Tle1993
Zilvia Member

Tle1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
The best thing about 'anti-lag' is making the car sound like a war movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_epjB1fDzAM&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3&vq=hd1080
this is badass! lol its just gun shots
Tle1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And that car is fast as fuck. =D

Make explosions between exhaust valve and turbine and you has compression that spools turbo off throttle. Electronic control is what i was looking to do but can't even find time to assemble an MSnS let alone finish my car. Scraped the project in favor of seat time. Good luck to all ye who attempt the TRUE ALS system.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Watch the link I posted. He's about to make bang-bang systems obsolete. It's less hard on your turbo too.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Tle1993
Zilvia Member

Tle1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Watch the link I posted. He's about to make bang-bang systems obsolete. It's less hard on your turbo too.
yeah i watched that video and that is an amazing system.
Tle1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Anti lag for me is 90% noise and 10% functionality.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

yes the rocket is a GREAT system and from my understanding it is just another secondary air injection system. The big difference is the rocket uses a "tuned" combustion chamber rather than just simply dumping the air into the exhaust runners pre turbo it dumps it into a nice (rocket) shaped chamber which strangely enough has some surprising similarities to the combustion chamber of some turbine engines
Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaPDP6V3g

worth the watch
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
bik
Zilvia Junkie

bik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to allbik is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to bik
I wanna use a antilag system here in chihuahua mexico, and see everybody around dive in to the ground when the poping start... and then get myself in a big trouble cause i bet police or cartels dont find it funny =/

hahaha sorry my bad english ^_^
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i've seen a dude on the freeway with anti lag on his STi. it was soooo fail it wasn't funny. Watching him merge, while braking...all you hear is pop pop pop pop....as the guy hit traffic...car still popping. I don't know how that didn't get annoying real quick.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I got to experience the ALS system RRE/Road Race Engineering has on their rally Evo V and it was amazing. Listening to it free rev and then about a half second then BAM! So awesome.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I wanna use a antilag system here in chihuahua mexico, and see everybody around dive in to the ground when the poping start... and then get myself in a big trouble cause i bet police or cartels dont find it funny =/

hahaha sorry my bad english ^_^
haha i like your style

Quote:
i've seen a dude on the freeway with anti lag on his STi. it was soooo fail it wasn't funny. Watching him merge, while braking...all you hear is pop pop pop pop....as the guy hit traffic...car still popping. I don't know how that didn't get annoying real quick.
oh man anti lag + traffic = FAIL
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Toi
Zilvia Member

Toi is an unknown quantity at this point
WRC cars use ball bearing turbos with anti lag, you can use that journal bearing if ya want but that turbo will be toast in no time.

Anti Lag systems destroy exhaust manifolds and turbos, its a great system but its hard on the wallet!
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Yes most WRC cars use some VERY special Garrett turbos, one of the many modified features on these turbos is the cage holding the ball bearings is metal VS plastic (as found in the standard GT series).
Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #22
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post
WRC cars use ball bearing turbos with anti lag, you can use that journal bearing if ya want but that turbo will be toast in no time.

Anti Lag systems destroy exhaust manifolds and turbos, its a great system but its hard on the wallet!
I know of several cars that use the typical timing retard anti-lag on hundreds of drag launches a year, and they all use journal bearing turbos.

It all depends on what type and how much anti-lag you're using. The WRC "rocket" style shouldn't be nearly so hard on your turbo.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #23
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

exactly when used sparingly and set up correctly it doesn't have to destroy anything. I've used a very mild throttle kick and timing retard for some AL while sliding at a couple events in my S13. It works great but to be honest with the tiny T25 on the ka its not even needed. I'm looking forward to slightly more aggressive secondary air injection system on my current sr project.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You guys are referring to something more than just installing a beeR limiter right?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

yes very much so here you go my friend, get your learn on!

Turbo Antil lag systems explained
Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #27
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

an evo getting in on the action

Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
dustky43

dustky43 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's VERY difficult to get any useful information on anti-lag setups. Ive had many shops/tuners keep telling me that I dont need it, that I will burn up my exhaust valves, I will kill turbos etc. (I dont really care)

Took me a while to find a shop that was interested/willing to help me out.

Here's a video of my car from last year
Antilag Test- Nissan 240sx Vipec ECU tuned by Dent Sport Garage - YouTube

Car makes about 1 bar of boost at idle. Running a Group N style antilag, no additional parts are required other than for the ecu that supports it. The rotational idle is absolutely awesome to actually cool the car down in between runs as well. The downside is that with a Group N style anti-lag the motor never pulls vacuum so you will have no power brakes.
dustky43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Short Rally history cars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXgWWNJVdYA
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #30
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Good to hear you found a shop willing to make it happen Are you using the nissan Idle valve for this set up or did you switch out to say one of the Bosch units that are commonly used?

Great work my friend!