Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
swedish

Trader Rating: (0)
swedish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR White smoke from exhaust

I just bought an 89 240 hatch with an sr20det. It's got a couple of issues, one being heavy smoke from the exhaust which I've recorded in this video:

YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">YouTube&fs=1" />YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YouTube
heres a link since the embed doesnt seem to be working http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2yTLaW-zH4

The smoke smells sort of like gas and ive checked the oil and it seems fine so its not coolant. I suspect the PCV valve and wondering if someone could validate? Also if it is the PCV what do I need to do? Do I need a new one or can I just take it out and clean it.

Also, there seems to be a leak on the oil feeder line which causes oil to run onto my headers and burn off, anybody else had something like this? Could this simply be the nut holding the line in place coming loose or is it more likely the threads are stripped?
swedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy headgasket batman!
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Could be a bunch of things
-valve stem seals/seats
Do a leak down test
-turbo
Pull the piping off check if it's oily etc
-rings
Not likely because from what I can tell it sounds like it's running good. Compression test
-headgasket
Compression test.

Also check your spark plugs and see if one or more is oily/wet. That will help u narrow down what cylinder it's coming from. If all or none are oily nasty etc, it's coming from before or after combustion.

As for the gas smell could be a faulty/leaky injector, bad tune etc... Basically it looks like u unfortunately bought some else's problem
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Renelovesnike
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Renelovesnike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
check yous radiator coolant if its dropping from all that steam which i wouldn't be surprised.

also remove your engine oil fill cap and check if its milky/chocolate milkshake to be a dead giveaway on a bigger head gasket leak. i think thats too much steam to be a small headgasket leak.

id also do a leakdown test and see which cylinder has the most leakage and then pop radiator cap "cooled down" to see bubbles in the cooling system.

id also pressure test the head afterward if you do go along with a headgasket job to be on the safe side*

Good Luck*
Renelovesnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

It's white smoke. That's coolant. Pcv has nothing to do with coolant. Neither do the valve guids/seals. Turbo wouldn't leak coolant into the exhaust, it's not possible. Rings wouldn't leak coolant either. Oil would be blue. You have an absolute shit load of coolant getting into your cylinders, that's your head gasket.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

The only way to know for sure wether it's coolant or oil is go down and get a block tester. U can rent or buy them at autozone. If u don't know what it is or how to use it google it.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Just do a leak down test. No need for fancy tools
Old 11-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriftbadger View Post
Just do a leak down test. No need for fancy tools
What is a leak down test gonna do if it's in the coolant system? The only way to know if ANY combustion gases are present in the cooling system 100% is to do a block test. Which u can rent for free, and a monkey could do it.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetijeff View Post
What is a leak down test gonna do if it's in the coolant system? The only way to know if ANY combustion gases are present in the cooling system 100% is to do a block test. Which u can rent for free, and a monkey could do it.
Do you even know what a leak down test is? Maybe do some research.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Ya do u? You pressurize each cylinder (usually to a bout 80psi) at tdc and see if u lose pressure and how fast. Problem is, u don't know if it's from the rings, a bent valve, or the headgasket. Before u go trying to give someone advice u should actually understand what your giving them advice on. The tools required to do a simple block test are more accessible to the average joe than to set up a leakdown test. U go to autozone and rent it for free, or spend the 40$ and buy it. Now please go google what I just said so u can confirm.... Florida strikes again
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetijeff View Post
Ya do u? You pressurize each cylinder (usually to a bout 80psi) at tdc and see if u lose pressure and how fast. Problem is, u don't know if it's from the rings, a bent valve, or the headgasket. Before u go trying to give someone advice u should actually understand what your giving them advice on. The tools required to do a simple block test are more accessible to the average joe than to set up a leakdown test. U go to autozone and rent it for free, or spend the 40$ and buy it. Now please go google what I just said so u can confirm.... Florida strikes again
Dumbass. The air has to go somewhere. If it's in the coolant you'll hear and see it. You can florida me all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you learned a term from somewhere and have no idea what the fuck you're even talking about. Go rent your stupid block testing shit. I'll throw some air in the cylinders to confirm what is clearly a headgasket failure and have the motor half way torn down before the schmucks at autozone can run your credit card.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

I was trying to be nice but ur obviously a fucking tool. No shit the air has to go somewhere. Could go up, down or through the headgasket. Block test is the only way 100% to know there are combustion gases are in the cooling system. Not everyone has an air compressor, and or the tools to do a leakdown test. Everyone has an auto parts store somewhere semi near them.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #13
Laujpha

Laujpha is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently fail smog with my 93 240sx for gross polluted. My s13 have alot of white smoke coming from the exhaust tail pipe. i decided to change head gasket, valve seal, fuel filter, o2 sensor, new spark plug, air fliter, clean my egr, intake gasket, header gasket, valve cover gasket, new water pump, new termostat, new tps,clean my iacv, ect.. pretty much the whole head gasket set kit.. with that being said...i still have white smoke and car smell like its burnig to much gas...did compression test and all cylinder have 155 psi...any suggestions and help i would really appreciate it.
Laujpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #14
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
injector stuck open or tune probably
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote