Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (10)
95Gstman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Need help troubleshooting KA-T

So some friends and I installed a ka-t setup in my car this weekend, and we can not get it to run correctly. It will not idle but will run if we give it throttle. It runs very rich. So rich that if you turn it over a few times, then pull the injector harnesses it will run a few second with the injectors unplugged. We also noticed that it runs better with the Z32 maf unplugged. I am just looking for some suggestions on what I should check to trouble shoot this problem.
The setup is as follow.

s14 t28
smic
450cc injectors
enthalpy ecu
walbro 255
z32 maf

Thanks for the help.
95Gstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
do you have a boost gauge?

if you do, tell me what the vacuum is reading.

sounds like a vacuum leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

I do not currently have a boost gauge hooked up. But I do have one and will install it ASAP. I am not sure if my Defi reads vac though. Is there a diagram or something that shows what vac lines need to be hooked up and blocked off? Is the one large one on the air intake tube supposed to be hooked up? I currently have that one blocked. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

I just checked. The Defi does have vac so that is good news.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

More info - I noticed that the fuel pump does not come on with the ignition in the on position if the enthalpy ecu is hooked up but it does if the stock ecu is hooked up. I this a problem? Also, what are some signs of a leaking injector and what is the best way to test it. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
i have heard some problems with the enthalpy ecu
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
endlessboost
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
endlessboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Gstman View Post
I do not currently have a boost gauge hooked up. But I do have one and will install it ASAP. I am not sure if my Defi reads vac though. Is there a diagram or something that shows what vac lines need to be hooked up and blocked off? Is the one large one on the air intake tube supposed to be hooked up? I currently have that one blocked. Thanks for the help.
Yes that large intake tube next to your throttle body needs to be hooked up cause thats idle air. Theres also a nipple next to the throttle body that you can use as a vacuum source for the bov and wastegate but i usually just tap the boost gauge line into the fpr vac line.
endlessboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

I am talking about the tube that is on the actual air intake tube that hooks up to the turbo. Also about the enthalpy, it was running fine on the last owners car who I bought the turbo kit from.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

Well here is some more info, I got the car to idle on its own but it is very rough. Also, it will not rev up whenever I give it gas. I can hold the gas pedal to the floor and you can hear is get a tiny bit louder but it does not rev up or build boost. Anyone have any ideas? Faulty Maf maybe? I really don't know what else to look for. I am still confused that the fuel pump will not prime with the enthalpy ecu hooked up?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

More questions. Does anyone know if the hose if have blocked off/pictured needs to be hooked up anywhere? This line and the bov recirc fitting on the intake pipe are the only hose currently blocked. Also if someone could check to make sure my maf is wired properly that would be great too. ( I am pretty sure it is but just to make sure.) Here are the pics.

Note the electrical tape wiring job is temporary. Right now I am just trouble shooting and I will fix that when I get everything running correctly.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
limited240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
limited240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Gstman View Post
More questions. Does anyone know if the hose if have blocked off/pictured needs to be hooked up anywhere? This line and the bov recirc fitting on the intake pipe are the only hose currently blocked. Also if someone could check to make sure my maf is wired properly that would be great too. ( I am pretty sure it is but just to make sure.) Here are the pics.

Note the electrical tape wiring job is temporary. Right now I am just trouble shooting and I will fix that when I get everything running correctly.

i know that one othe black wires from the z32 maf go connected to the chassis ground. also if u connected the z32 the wrong way u could have burn the ecu. :you can take the cover off the ecu and look by the blue plug( blue plug facing you look to right) see if you see any burn marks on the ecu...
Old 05-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

I have read a lot of people just hook up both ground to the ground wire from the car. I don't think that is the problem. I do not see any burn marks on the ecu but I really think that is my problem. That is the only explanation why the fuel pump will prime with the stock ecu but not the enthalpy that I can come up with.

Last edited by 95Gstman; 05-14-2009 at 01:44 PM..
Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
both grounds (center 2) can goto ecu ground - works fine (mine isnt that way but tons of customers have it that way without any problems.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

Well I got a new ecu and the car now runs. But I am having some more problems. When I go to turn the car on it turns on but revs up very high (4000rpm) then slowly comes down a little. When we were installing the turbo my friend messed with the iacv screw and the idle screw on the throttle body. Does this sound like a vacuum leak? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
its very much possible that your throttle spring where your throttle cable attaches to can be rusted and sticking. Thus, not fully closing your throttle. Mine was sticking and when i let off my throttle it would hang around the 2k rpm for a lil while. What i did was sprayed quite a bit of white lithium greese on the spring to help lubricate it so it operates smoothly. Just something to consider.
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote