Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Harness tuck on driver side - protecting hood release cable

For those who have tucked their harness, do you/how do you protect your hood release cable?

I assumed that if I ziptied it tight up with the harness, the hood release would not work. I have already had problems with my hood release cable, so I don't want to dick around with it too much.

Advice?

It's pissing me off because it's now become the lowest point inside my fender....I want to push it up and curl the lip it's attached to so I can gain that 1/4"
Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Just remove the cable from the latch and feed it through the engine bay to the latch
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
my S14.
Since the picture, I have relocated my hood release cable closer to the rest of the harness, just enough to have it out the way of the tires.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
Joey89s13
Leaky Injector

Joey89s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
hahah i have colorful zipties on mines too =)
Joey89s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Home Depot Racing For Life.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Enna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enna Send a message via MSN to Enna
I need to do a better job on mine. Goddammit.
Enna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by essforteen View Post
Just remove the cable from the latch and feed it through the engine bay to the latch

rock on.

I am going to look into this tomorrow after work.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Why do you think the cable won't work if you move it? That makes no sense.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
s13yaobling
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
s13yaobling is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
or get rid of it and go hood pins with lock. Works for me.
s13yaobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
use a piece of sheetmetal
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That's really just a patch. If you're hardcore unplug the dash and route the harness over the strut tower area.

You can also unbolt the hood release cable and reroute the cable as well.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
AE_Racer
Zilvia Addict

AE_Racer is an unknown quantity at this point
I unhooked mine from the latch and ran it through the boxed part of the top of the frame/fender, instead of having it be in my engine bay completely it comes down in front of the strut tower and you wouldn't even notice it.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
This.

I've had my harness/hood release cable relocated at the same spot for over 2 years now with zero problems.

You'll be fine.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i did this.

its a little more intense. but you wont ever have rubbing problems. when i originally just tucked it i kept running into rubbing at full lock.
you have to take the dash out, unplug this huge plug where the fuses are, and a few plugs behind the dash, but it requires no cutting of the harness

HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Do it right, and never have to do it again.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

Yes, I know relocating the harness is 100x more effective than tucking it.

I thought that the tension in the hood release cable would be slackened by relocating it, thus messing up the ability for it to compress the spring.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
Home Depot Racing For Life.
This is awesome +59383

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post

Because a lot of people don't get HOW it works....they assume that slack means that it can't pull.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

it's a sheathed cable.

what's not to understand
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
Do it right, and never have to do it again.

Im sorry, but thats not the "right" way of doing it either.
Yeah it wont rub, but it looks like absolute shit.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterps13 View Post
Im sorry, but thats not the "right" way of doing it either.
Yeah it wont rub, but it looks like absolute shit.
so Form over Function?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Persona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ Should be both, but hey i like having my stuff work and look great!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
I made a protector for my wiring harness. I used a coffee can from a vending machine (I live in Japan, we have them everywhere), but any sort of aluminum or thin soft metal will work, and I cut the ends off and made a slit down the center. I then removed all original (IE Bulky) wiring harness protection and wrapped all my wires with e-tape. Then I wrapped the wiring harness with the cut up coffee can and used 2 small hose clamps to tighten the can to the harness and hold it in place. Just be sure to cut the excess of the hose clamps off and make sure that the smoothest ends are facing the tire (duh). This was a very easy solution and I have not had any wiring problems from rubbing since then.
Slidin' Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #23
drifter_for_life06
Zilvia Addict

drifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her selfdrifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to drifter_for_life06 Send a message via Yahoo to drifter_for_life06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin' Sam View Post
I made a protector for my wiring harness. I used a coffee can from a vending machine (I live in Japan, we have them everywhere), but any sort of aluminum or thin soft metal will work, and I cut the ends off and made a slit down the center. I then removed all original (IE Bulky) wiring harness protection and wrapped all my wires with e-tape. Then I wrapped the wiring harness with the cut up coffee can and used 2 small hose clamps to tighten the can to the harness and hold it in place. Just be sure to cut the excess of the hose clamps off and make sure that the smoothest ends are facing the tire (duh). This was a very easy solution and I have not had any wiring problems from rubbing since then.
maybe its just me, but I'm having trouble picturing this one.....
Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #24
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
^ What's so hard to picture? He basically wrapped it in thin sheet metal.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #25
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
I read it in an old dori-ten. DreamN is right, basically just wrapped the harness in thin sheet metal.
Slidin' Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #26
IHasLongTorso
Zilvia Junkie

IHasLongTorso has made poor choicesIHasLongTorso has made poor choicesIHasLongTorso has made poor choicesIHasLongTorso has made poor choicesIHasLongTorso has made poor choicesIHasLongTorso has made poor choicesIHasLongTorso has made poor choices
i used a giant rockstar can. its will still hit it every now and then but no damage done to wires or tire. I used to have problems like once a month. my car actually started one time just by shaking the harness. lol since the rockstar can wrap. not a single problem.
IHasLongTorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #27
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
so Form over Function?
No, thats not what I was saying.
Obviously his solution is functional, but the end all "right" way to do it is to reroute the harness through the frame rails, completely out of sight and out of the way.
His solution works, but its ugly as fuck. There has to be a balance somewhere.
I would never allow my car to look like that, but then again Im a huge minority on these forums.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
drifter_for_life06
Zilvia Addict

drifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her selfdrifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to drifter_for_life06 Send a message via Yahoo to drifter_for_life06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
^ What's so hard to picture? He basically wrapped it in thin sheet metal.
i can see it now. I probably shouldnt read and post on here after smokin a few bowls anymore
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #29
knate
Leaky Injector

knate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
That's really just a patch. If you're hardcore unplug the dash and route the harness over the strut tower area.

You can also unbolt the hood release cable and reroute the cable as well.
So is going through the frame more or less hardcore then?

I cut a hole in the frame rail area, put in a large grommet from a different harness, cut the harness near left headlight, fed all the wires through, and soldered everything on the other side. Sorry for the horrible cell pics..

It's not fun or easy though..

knate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #30
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
^ Exactly what I have planned to do once I'm able to place my coupe in restoration mode.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote