Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
ED600123

Trader Rating: (0)
ED600123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR20 Tapping

Hey all this is my first time posting on here, i am trying to figure out this tapping i am having with my sr.

I recently installed it and just got it running and after a couple minutes of idling it started to tap really loud, i am not really sure what to check for at this point, i will include a video and if anyone could help that would be great. And i have also bleed the lifters several time now.

Video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc8FahdznrA
ED600123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you made sure the rockers are shimmed properly? If one side is higher than the other, when the valve closes there will be a gap between the rocker and the shim. Once the cam lobe comes back around and hits the rocker, depressing it, that rocker smacks down onto the shim. Easy way to check is to toss a feeler gauge between all of the shims, make sure none of them have massive clearances when the valve is completely closed. If they are, check the guides for the same thing, you'll need a very narrow feeler gauge to check the guides though.
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I would check oil pressure,
make sure oil is flowing from all 16 holes above the cam lobes,
make sure you have guides to the left, shims to the right, when looking at the engine from the side of the car, on that side of the engine.

how are you bleeding the lifters? normally, place them in a cup of oil, submerge completely, and push the center plunger down several times using a thin stiff pin/wire. then, be sure you do not set them on their side, lifter must remain upright.

try unplugging each coil, one at a time, to make sure the noise is not isolated to a cylinder (that would be bad news).

do a compression test, any abnormality you should inspect that cylinder

I notice there is an exhaust "tap" associated with the noise in the head as well. I would recommend you quiet the engine down by using an OEM exhaust system, so you can hear the motor better. I would drive it like that for a couple months in fact, to be sure all the noises are normal, before installing anything noisy. OEM Exhaust will support more power than the OEM turbo can produce, its fine.

make sure you use FSM specification when tightening the camshafts down, and performing any other procedure in the head. the cam caps are only tight to 8.8~ft*lbs for example.

be very clean when working on the engine, any tiny bit of debris can clog one of the many tiny orifice and that will cost the engine.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
ED600123

I am going to check oil pressure and try unplugging the coil packs later today, i was doing exactly that to bleed the lifters
Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
First thing to do is, get that valve cover off and look.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
First thing to do is, get that valve cover off and look.

Wasn't aware you could bleed lifters with the valve cover on
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
That wasnt really for you, it was for anyone with a problem similar. You hear aomething odd check it out or get your boyfriend to like in a scary movie. [emoji41]

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
ED600123

Figured it out guys, i started to take the motor apart and when taking the head off i was cleaning out cylinder 3 of coolent that leaked in from the head being pulled and when doing so the piston went down alittle so i pulled the oil pan and there is no rod bearing in sight
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
that's wonderful...I hope it didn't damage the crank...pull the cap and see what there is to see!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote