Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
FeArZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Calling Sr or 1JZ what would you pick for $400

Hello all,

My Ka-t bit the dust and as much as I loved it. It did have 200k on it.

My orginal plan was s14 sr, gt2871, Jwt s3hl and ect to get around 360ish
Now my mechanic friend owes me and said he can put me a 1jz for the cost of the driveshaft which I believe he said was about $400.
To make it clearer basically I helped him out and instead of paying me he was going to do the SR swap drop in turn key for me. Now he said he will do the 1J I just have to buy the driveshaft.

So it's Sr vs 1jz for about $400

Key points
This car will be a daily (reliable)
It will be used for highway (some pulls) and messing around no competition.
Basically a toy.

I have never owned neither of these motors so I'm lost on maintaince and other things expense wise.
Please share your thoughts and experience Zilvia. Thanks for your time and patience.
FeArZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
He will get you and install a 1j with trans?

Good luck with that.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Both are great platforms.. but I have never personally owned a 1JZ, so I have no input there.

But the SR is a great engine and the simplicity of the swap is a major plus. Maintenance is simple and there is tons of information available online, plus tons of affordable aftermarket support.

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Chunter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Chunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
there couldn't possibly be any threads on zilvia comparing a 1jz to a SR. great idea to finally make one.
Chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
He will get you and install a 1j with trans?

Good luck with that.
That's what he said. He owns a shop so he said that the rates are similar. He will custom make the mounts and everything. I helped him out and instead of paying me he was going to do the SR swap drop in turn key for me. Now he said he will do the 1J I just have to buy the driveshaft.

^ also added to the first post to stop confusion.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunter View Post
there couldn't possibly be any threads on zilvia comparing a 1jz to a SR. great idea to finally make one.
I know there are a few, but i'm sure not one talking about a $400 difference between one another. Thanks for your time and patience.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Hmmm... A $3500 swap or a $6000+ swap. Decisions decisions...

Seriously though: What did you do to have him owing you a 1jz swap? Save his daughter from sex slavers or something?

Just my opinion though but if dude really is a friend, I wouldn't extort him with such an expensive ass swap while footing none of the bill.

I'd be surprised if dude knew what he was getting into offering to comp you that swap. If I were you, I'd just be a friend and be happy with the SR. Just have him rebuild it first. It'll be cheaper to install, cheaper to make reliable, cheaper to maintain and still PLENTY of fun (especialliy coming from an N/A KA).

If you're set on the 1JZ, I think it would be cheaper to sell your 240, buy an SC300 shell and put the 1JZ in there...
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Oh, I don't think I understood your question then. You mean the install price is a $400 difference? So you would still need to get the swap?

It's more than a $400 difference regardless of installing.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob2121 View Post
Both are great platforms.. but I have never personally owned a 1JZ, so I have no input there.

But the SR is a great engine and the simplicity of the swap is a major plus. Maintenance is simple and there is tons of information available online, plus tons of affordable aftermarket support.
That's what I have seen I have basically all the information on the Sr20 I will hopefully ever need.

I haven't even started to see if the information is as available for the 1J. I guess hopping on some supra forums will help if I go that route.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Doublepost

/facepalm
Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Hmmm... A $3500 swap or a $6000+ swap. Decisions decisions...

Seriously though: What did you do to have him owing you a 1jz swap? Save his daughter from sex slavers or something?

I'd be surprised if dude knew what he was getting into offering to comp you that swap. If I were you, I'd just be a friend and be happy with the SR. Just have him rebuild it first. It'll be cheaper to install and cheaper to make reliable and cheaper to maintain.

Just my opinion though.
Lol I wish. It would be a "Hey guys I'm going turbo LSx" thread.

Basically I was just talking about how I love the sound and I wonder what a 1jz swap would cost. He said I'll check and came back with "just give the money for the driveshaft on top of what I'm doing the Sr for"
Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
sterlinge
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
sterlinge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
If you can pull a valve cover and check how clean the engine is along with compression #'s would go 1j. Whichever engine is cleaner will be the better choice.
sterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinge View Post
If you can pull a valve cover and check how clean the engine is along with compression #'s would go 1j. Whichever engine is cleaner will be the better choice.
He has done these swaps before. He said he will give me a drop in 30 day turn key warranty. I'm going to discuss it with him more tommorow I don't want unknown swap expenses to pop up before I can enjoy the car. It's been down for a month.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
1j > SR.

Now explain again how he is doing an engine swap for free again???

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
1j > SR.

Now explain again how he is doing an engine swap for free again???
Basically, I helped out in the shop and was actually planning a sr swap. So I had been waiting for that engine to come in along with the others he ordered. So I kept working then when my KA-T went boom. I told him just do the swap which he charges 4g's for drop in s14 sr turn key warranty. So he is bringing in a shipment of engines which my Sr is in along with a 1j. So we were talking about the sound and stuff and I mentioned "what was the price" for the 1J swap. He pulled it up in the computer and said I charge about the same so "just cover the driveshaft"
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #16
AZRB20
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
AZRB20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would go 1J
AZRB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
sterlinge
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
sterlinge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
On a 1j you will have to spend 300 for swap mounts. 300 minimum driveshaft. 100-200 getting your oem gauges working or replacing them. Then the engine and trans costs 800-900 more than a sr swap. If you really have a choice jz is a better deal.
sterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
sskracing
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sskracing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Sounds like a retarded awesome deal! Im almost done with my jzx90(1jzgte) swap in my s14. Personally would vouch 1j over sr, if the extra front weight isnt an issue for you. More torque and power potential if you dont have to break the bank with the cost of the completing the swap initially. As for driveshaft i went through Driveshafts - Custom Made Driveshafts- Aluminum Driveshafts and Steel Driveshafts by Shaftmasters Inc
sskracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinge View Post
On a 1j you will have to spend 300 for swap mounts. 300 minimum driveshaft. 100-200 getting your oem gauges working or replacing them. Then the engine and trans costs 800-900 more than a sr swap. If you really have a choice jz is a better deal.
He is making mounts, I'm buying driveshaft, not sure about gauges, he orders motors by the truck load so he might have got a hell of a deal not sure. Its not set in stone I will talk with him about it. I don't want him to start and then be "oh you also need this and this" But since he offers a 30 day warranty on the swap I may take the 1J. I'm not sure.lol
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskracing View Post
Sounds like a retarded awesome deal! Im almost done with my jzx90(1jzgte) swap in my s14. Personally would vouch 1j over sr, if the extra front weight isnt an issue for you. More torque and power potential if you dont have to break the bank with the cost of the completing the swap initially. As for driveshaft i went through Driveshafts - Custom Made Driveshafts- Aluminum Driveshafts and Steel Driveshafts by Shaftmasters Inc
Not drifting or anything. If I do it's only to get sideways messing around. Just maybe highway pulls for fun every now and then.

Car will be daily on stock motor with whatever setup I go with for Atleast a year. I wanted about 300whp. So Sr on stock 11ish pounds(stock solenoid) I'm guessing 210ish. Stock 1J dropped in only mod FMIC I'm guessing 260-280ish.

Also thanks for the Link
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Yeah 1j has better power potential with basic bolt ons compared to an sr. Sounds like you're getting hooked up!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #22
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
lol.. as stated previously, a 3k swap VS a 6k + swap, the answer is obvious.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #23
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Any turbo inline six engine > SR...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #24
S13GG

Trader Rating: (1)
S13GG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
which generation of 1JZ? (there were 3)

attached to a R154, I'd go with the toyota option..
S13GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #25
7evil
Zilvia FREAK!

7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough
1jz it's so much better
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #26
rwtf
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
rwtf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
this is stupid. 1 fucking j. herp de derp.....
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #27
FeArZ
Leaky Injector

We will see im going to discus it more today. I know the 1j is the better option. Im not sure what trans he is giving me and I still need to factor in making a custom dp. Also clarify if the price includes making my gauges work. Maybe fuel lines need to be talked about too.
We will see.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #28
simmode1
Post Whore!

Ahhh... That explanation makes more sense now. You're still getting over on your buddy, but sounds like he doesn't mind. In that case, 1jz in a heart beat.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #29
EatRice
Leaky Injector

EatRice is an unknown quantity at this point
vvl > your BS 6 cyl
EatRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #30
stroked_jz
Leaky Injector

stroked_jz is an unknown quantity at this point
Ill start by saying that when it comes down to it, you can get a sr20/trans for the same price as a 1j/r154. The shops here in texas are selling sr/trans for roughly 2-2.2k, were the 1j/r154 will go for 2.1-2.4k. So esentially, they are the same price. The mounting kit, thats only $360. So i dont really see where the idea of a $6k swap comes into play for who ever mentioned that. Hell, GS Motorsports will do a full 2j/r154 swap with wiring piping and all for 5k, and thats for a motor that cost 1k more then the 1j... Thats including motor/trans, and thats through a well known shop out of Texas. That being said, Ive never owned an sr, ive seen them in action. And I know they can be quick. But when it comes down to it, you will not get the power out of a sr, that you will get out of a 1j. Not only that, but dam near every part for the 2j is interchangable with the 1j. The only thing that isnt interchangable is cam shafts, exhaust mani, and intake mani. There may be a few others that im missing, but regardless. The performance stand point of it is, finding parts for the 1j are easy as can be. I myself have had one 1j, 1 2j-ge, and 1 2j gte, and I would never settle for less. I came from the v8 world to the inline6 game and never regretted it. If I were you, I would do it right the 1st time and go 1jz. I promise you, you wont regret it.
stroked_jz is offline   Reply With Quote