Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
dOMEmE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Yakima Roof rack

so im wondering if anybody has or uses a yakima roof rack on there 240, i want to put one on my coupe when i go snowboarding because obviously snow boards wont fit in my car. so if any one does can you tell me which one would fit best on a coupe and good or bad expierences please. i wont have it on all the time so i need one that will come off easy and put on easy.
dOMEmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
NeedCAforS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
NeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NeedCAforS13
My friend has one on his hatch. I can try and get a part # off of it for you since I know Yakima doesn't list a 240sx application.

Edit* and it attaches like this, so it should work for coupe or hatch...

Old 04-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

ooooohhhhhh!! that one would be PERFECT!!! please can you get part number from him? oh and your right they dont have a 240sx application list.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I always liked the way a roof rack looks for some reason, but they won't work if you have wind visors, just a note. You could just buy a universal one and drill it in though.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
I always liked the way a roof rack looks for some reason, but they won't work if you have wind visors, just a note. You could just buy a universal one and drill it in though.
yea but im not going to keep it on all the time so it would suck to drill it on and drill it off you know...that one on the hatch looks cool and its going to serve it purpose.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
i am not sure how much stuff you are hauling when you go snowboarding, but i fit my board (162) in my coupe. just flop down the back seat and slide it through. i had a passenger and the trunk/backseat area was FULL with other stuff.

roof racks are sweet but save yourself some money if it is not necessary. i want one too, but it will be for my bike. sadly, those don't fit too well inside.
irritatedmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatedmax View Post
i am not sure how much stuff you are hauling when you go snowboarding, but i fit my board (162) in my coupe. just flop down the back seat and slide it through. i had a passenger and the trunk/backseat area was FULL with other stuff.

roof racks are sweet but save yourself some money if it is not necessary. i want one too, but it will be for my bike. sadly, those don't fit too well inside.

well i have a custom sub enclosure so when my back seat comes down that whole is covered and has two subs in plain view. so i really don't have another way, plus like you said i could also use it for bikes.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
derek_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
derek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to derek_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
I always liked the way a roof rack looks for some reason,
agreed, not sure what it is.

i guess trying to squeeze every bit of practicality out of our sports cars??

i remember seeing that oem optional (or at least nissan-endorsed) s14 rack get sold
on here a while back. MAN i wanted that
derek_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Slip&Sliden 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Slip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To put a Yakima rack system on your coupe you would need:

Q Towers - $159.00
Q38 clips - $35.00 x2
48" Crossbars - $70.00

and then the boardmount if only 2 boards
Powderhound -$ 119.00

and I would also suggest the lock cores to stop people from stealing your gear

6 pack of lock cores - $ 75.00
(1 for each Q tower and 1 for each board rack)

Total price $493.00

I deal with racks everyday at work and this by far would be the best setup over any drilling or custom jimmy rigging setup.
This is the same setup the pictured hatch has also.
Slip&Sliden 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip&Sliden 240 View Post
To put a Yakima rack system on your coupe you would need:

Q Towers - $159.00
Q38 clips - $35.00 x2
48" Crossbars - $70.00

and then the boardmount if only 2 boards
Powderhound -$ 119.00

and I would also suggest the lock cores to stop people from stealing your gear

6 pack of lock cores - $ 75.00
(1 for each Q tower and 1 for each board rack)

Total price $493.00

I deal with racks everyday at work and this by far would be the best setup over any drilling or custom jimmy rigging setup.
This is the same setup the pictured hatch has also.

item #'s???
Old 04-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
A snowboard will fit in a 240. I have had them in both my S13 and S14. Put the binding flat, rear seats down, board in sideways. I Have a TEIN bottom mount rear strut bar as well.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
roof racks are f'en expensive I'm not sure if a light duty hitch would fit on a 240 but that would be the way to go then just get a hitch rack
gregfarz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfarz78 View Post
roof racks are f'en expensive I'm not sure if a light duty hitch would fit on a 240 but that would be the way to go then just get a hitch rack
There's several guys who have done custom hitches on their cars. One guy in NC years ago, Frankie Overbey, had one in place of the rear bumper support flushed mounted behind his plate. The plate was set on a flip up swivel so he could raise it and slide the ball into the receiver, but with it down it was completely hidden. it was slick, he towed a trailer with his spare autocross wheels and shit. Better than piling them in the car.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
^That sounds thoroughly radical. lol
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #15
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews

relax people, i am here, i will save you.

the past 2 months i have been researching roof racks and i have had one installed for the past month or more.

its very universal except the Q Clips. which are Q38.

what you need to do is go on craigslist. find a roof rack setup with 48 inch crossbars and 4 q towers. you buy the Q clips on ebay for 35 shipped for all 4.

then you buy what you need or want as options. like a fairing, snowboard mount, bike mount, whatever it is your going to use it for.

if that doesnt help you. go to yakima.com. go to fit your car. put your car in. and it will ring you up at 583$ and you can pay them alot. then take your package to a bike shop and pay them a shit load, and they will install it. or you can just do what i did and spend a total of $150 and install it yourself.
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #16
aoiken3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
aoiken3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatedmax View Post

agreed that snowboards will easily fit in a coupe. but if you want to take bikes with you, why dont you get a tow hitch installed that can be used as to hold bikes with the adaptor?? it'll also serve to conceal some of your license plate if you're into running red lights often
Old 04-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #17
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiken3 View Post
agreed that snowboards will easily fit in a coupe. but if you want to take bikes with you, why dont you get a tow hitch installed that can be used as to hold bikes with the adaptor?? it'll also serve to conceal some of your license plate if you're into running red lights often

well i have a custom trunk...so everything is sealed. the tow hitch looks wierd.....plus the roof rack also looks "COOL" and its works .....so does anyone have actual "item" or "product" numbers?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #18
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

dub40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Coupe roofs and hatch roofs are basically identical. At least he window frames are witch are the mounting point.

Yakima shows

Q11 clips for the hatch
and
Q38 clips for the coupe

you will need Q towers
Part # 8000124

48" cross bars
Part # 8000408

Q11 clips
Part # 8000611

or
Q38 clips
Part # 8000638

please if you need any other stuff just go to their website
YAKIMA.com
dub40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mine

that plate hides behinde the lisense plate all you see basically is the receiver. I got this for both hauling my bike around to ride in different places and also for the day i get a trailer to tow my 4wheeler
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection

you guys realize that the a-pillar cover is VERY flimsy piece of metal. I dunno, but I surely wouldnt recommend doing that to an S13.. sure as hell not my S13.

Buy an xterra or use someone elses car
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #21
iMAGE976
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
iMAGE976 is making a name for him/her selfiMAGE976 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iMAGE976
240's were'nt made/designed to have roof racks.....just my $.02
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #22
waynehead05
Zilvia Junkie

waynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to waynehead05
^^ If you look closer I don't think it's on the trim. It's a little below it I think.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #23
aoiken3
Zilvia Addict

aoiken3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Man View Post
mine

that plate hides behinde the lisense plate all you see basically is the receiver. I got this for both hauling my bike around to ride in different places and also for the day i get a trailer to tow my 4wheeler
what class hitch is that?? and with how many holes does it bolt up to under the car?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #24
derek_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
derek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to derek_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMAGE976 View Post
240's were'nt made/designed to have roof racks.....just my $.02
your 2 cents is wrong.

nissan had an optional roof rack for s13's and 14's fool.
derek_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #25
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehead05 View Post
^^ If you look closer I don't think it's on the trim. It's a little below it I think.
no, thats the a-pillar trim.

i know, i've torn apart this car inside and out, numerous times.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #26
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub40sx View Post
Coupe roofs and hatch roofs are basically identical. At least he window frames are witch are the mounting point.

Yakima shows

Q11 clips for the hatch
and
Q38 clips for the coupe

you will need Q towers
Part # 8000124

48" cross bars
Part # 8000408

Q11 clips
Part # 8000611

or
Q38 clips
Part # 8000638

please if you need any other stuff just go to their website
YAKIMA.com

thank you very mucho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_s13 View Post
your 2 cents is wrong.

nissan had an optional roof rack for s13's and 14's fool.
ha i was gunna say the same thing.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #27
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
the information for yakima racks have been listed 3 times in this thread.

most cars werent Designed for a roof rack. obviously.

the weight goes to 4 corners of the roof rack its not putting all the load in one spot. ive driven 80-90 on the freeway with my bike mounted on the roof and i have had no problems. i installed a fairing a week ago and its quieter now.

the roof racks are functional and they look good.
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
oh man I thought I was the only one! All my friends hate em.... but there's just something about a car with a roof rack...oh man... teh awesomeness!

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #29
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPCWiz View Post
oh man I thought I was the only one! All my friends hate em.... but there's just something about a car with a roof rack...oh man... teh awesomeness!

LOL!!! same here, im the one outta the my bunch that likes them.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #30
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
can i still order the optional roof rack for my s14???