Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
the brake swap thread

Alright, looking to get a collection of all the popular "brake swaps" for the s-chassis. A place where everyone can comment on how certain swaps feel and for what power levels the brakes are good for. This is for all swaps, either from other cars, or aftermarket (willwood) calipers with hardware/rotor setups that work. Also including front/rear balanced setups and pictures to show wheel clearance (and for those of us who like that minimal caliper>wheel clearance). i did a search, but all the information is spread out, i thought it would be nice to have it all in one place.

First off, lets get technical and describe how a brake system works, and get a basis for upgrading. For those in for a read: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/Win...principle.html

This is how our brake system works, and how we must look at upgrading it. The brake pedal/brake booster offers a leverage advantage of force on the master cylinder. With this, and the principles of hydraulic fluids, we are able to put tremendous forces on the brake pads. Simply put, the larger the caliper pistons, the more force you can output on the pads (given the same size master cylinder). With the same point, the larger a master cylinder bore, the greater input force is required to have the same output. It is generally recommended to go to a larger master cylinder if you upgrade the brakes, to get rid of that "soft" feeling in the pedal.

Master Cylinder Options:
stock bmc bore is 15/16".

1. Z32: so far the only BMC I know that is direct replacement. Either 1" or 1 1/16" bore.

1. Z32/skyline gtst brakes
-front calipers: bolt on
-rear calipers: bolt on
-z32 rotors/pads (26 or 30mm depending on caliper in the front). have 5 lug or redrill to 4 lug if needed
-brake lines: lots of variations of swap brake lines are available online
special notes: z33 track rotors can be used in front with an adapter plate, z32 2+2 ebrake lines supposedly reach stock location with rerouting, can also use extensions found on ebay or make some yourself like this:

2. Evo/sti brembo brakes
Front: 04 STi Brembo calipers / Evo rotors
Rear: 04 STi Brembo calipers / Evo rotors
Brake lines: Brembo brake lines for STi Brembos
notes: rear caliper/ebrake. brembo calipers on your z32 setup:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/93748-...ml#post1342840
note about sti rears:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/93748-...ml#post2057367

front calipers need adapter bracket:

mounted picture (17" wheel)

3. sentra se-r vspec brembo fronts
-work well with z32 rear
-bolt right up to front
-sentra rotors redrilled

anyone with different brake setups, post what you got, pics, how it feels. lets try to keep the general chat to a min and post up brake setups!

Last edited by JaredP; 01-25-2012 at 09:01 PM..
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Since when has it been required to use Z32/GTST rear knuckles for rear Z32 calipers on a S13/14?
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

i was under the impression they were, as when i was new to s-chassis thats what everyone told me. did some googling, fixed the error. thanks atutt
Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Q45 fronts, S13 rear. Direct bolt on, uses S13/S14 brake lines. Stock BMC can be used.

Redrill to 4 lug if needed.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Ted J

Ted J is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
Q45 fronts, S13 rear. Direct bolt on, uses S13/S14 brake lines. Stock BMC can be used.

Redrill to 4 lug if needed.
Could a person also do the Altima larger rotor on the S13 rear to gain a little more rear braking? Like is it worth it?
Ted J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted J View Post
Could a person also do the Altima larger rotor on the S13 rear to gain a little more rear braking? Like is it worth it?

http://zilvia.net/f/archive-faqs/291...-calipers.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
^ I don't see how upgrading to a bigger rotor increases braking ability. The only thing I can think of is quicker heat dissipation. The caliper stays the same (weak single piston, that continues to do the same thing, being weak. ) the only way you can make it better is with a good pad compound, and that's the limit of that set up. Looks like a waste of time to me. The dual z32 rear piston caliper will do a far better job even on a tiny rotor.

P.S. I am not a expert on brakes. Just saying whats on my mind =P
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
^ I don't see how upgrading to a bigger rotor increases braking ability. The only thing I can think of is quicker heat dissipation. The caliper stays the same (weak single piston, that continues to do the same thing, being weak. ) the only way you can make it better is with a good pad compound, and that's the limit of that set up. Looks like a waste of time to me. The dual z32 rear piston caliper will do a far better job even on a tiny rotor.

P.S. I am not a expert on brakes. Just saying whats on my mind =P
If you had read the entire thing, you would have found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace
Certainly there will be those who argue that 'Z32 rears are better' just because that's what has been regurgitated 100 times on forums, but I would love to see any quantified research showing me so. This setup allows a larger rotor with the stock calipers, stock e brake, etc etc...a perfect solution for a minimalist like me.
If anything, that is an ALTERNATIVE TO/CHEAPER THAN the z32 rears. And more street oriented might I add.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
I did read it. Which is why I said it looks like a pointless upgrade no matter how cheap it costs. You're better off sticking with the stock rotor and upgraded pads.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I did the altima rear rotors with z31 carrier and stock rear calipers, i didn't do it to improve braking, just did it cause stock rotors look tiny inside 18's...

i had a z31 carrier on a parts car lying around and i needed new rotors anyways... it probably ain't worth it to go out of the way to do it.

...moral of the story, save up for mustang rotors and dual z32 calipers.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

besides the fact that larger rotors = better heat dissipation (if both are the same type, ie. vented, solid etc.) and all the frictional/physics stuff like that, a larger rotor will give you more leverage on the hub to slow the wheel down.

think like a lever, the further from the pivot the easier it is to lift/move a load. now apply this to the wheel. the pivot is the hub with the tread on the tire being the "handle" of the lever. it puts tremendous stress on any brakes, but with a larger rotor, that force is reduced allowing it to stop easier.

now of course this only applies to situations that maintain identical pad contact areas. the best part of bigger rotors is you can use bigger pads, increasing contact area and greatly improving braking
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Shayl

Shayl is an unknown quantity at this point
Shayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Mikeyboy

Trader Rating: (3)
Mikeyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredP View Post

Master Cylinder Options:
a larger bore master cylinder will move more fluid as the pedal is depressed and can give a "squishy" pedal feeling on stock brakes. a larger bore requires less pedal effort and travel to apply the same force to a caliper piston.
Ok I gotta say it...
By increasing the master cylinder diameter, while lessening pedal travel, the amount of force needed to create the same amount of force in the brake calipers increases. So increasing the bmc size should only be done in proportion to the increase in total caliper piston diameter.
Mikeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

your right, i was thinking about it backwards. its been a while since i've gone over the calculations. good eye, not trying to spread false information
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Kaifd3s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Kaifd3s is on the path to ruinKaifd3s is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
After a little investigation,

Ive read that the SE-R SpecV Brembos use a 300x22mm disc rotor. Now Ive searched and have seen that the R33 GTR Brembos rear AND 03-05 Evo's rear use the same size rotor. Now would I be able to use those rotors on the SE-R calipers in the front in an S14?

Im guessing yes?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

you have to look at hat offset as well, which is generally different between a front/rear rotor. im pretty sure the evos use a drum ebrake too which is going to mean they are deeper to the hub mounting point. easiest/best way would probably just have some sentra rotors redrilled but who knows the rears might work! i'm not familiar with the r33 brembo rear setup either, but i could see it being drum e-brake like the r32
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

cheaper option to buying the full front wilwood big brake kit:

1. wilwood forged superlite internal 4 piston calipers:
Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Forged Superlite Internal Calipers

2. z33 track rotors + adapter bracket (make your own, or can find online).

after some research, the z33 rotors are 12.76" diameter, and 1.18" thick. this would mean you want one of the calipers that has a rotor max thickness of 1.25 in the link above. the only other decision needing to be made is what you want your overall piston area to be.

install guide (from willwood): http://www.wilwood.com/Pdf/howtostor...ke_Install.pdf
brake lines: p/n 220-9199 from willwood. http://www.wilwood.com/LineKits/Line...temno=220-9199 or you could buy a 1/8-27 npt fitting to -3 adapter and use any brake line you wish that corresponds

these pics belong to WISH ONE and i hope he doesnt mind me sharing:

Last edited by JaredP; 01-25-2012 at 09:39 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Kaifd3s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Kaifd3s is on the path to ruinKaifd3s is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:

1. wilwood forged superlite internal 4 piston calipers:
Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Forged Superlite Internal Calipers

2. z33 track rotors + adapter bracket (make your own, or can find online)

after some research, the z33 rotors are 12.76" diameter, and 1.18" thick. this would mean you want one of the calipers that has a rotor max thickness of 1.25 in the link above. the only other decision needing to be made is what you want your overall piston area to be.

What about lines?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifd3s View Post
What about lines?
a 1/8-27 npt fitting is used to go into the caliper. an adapter from 1/8-27 > -3 can be purchased. line info posted above

will be updating with more technical things in the near future

Last edited by JaredP; 01-25-2012 at 09:40 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
I LOVE my current setup. It feels very balanced.

Front Calipers - Q45
Rear Calipers - Stock S13 with Z31 bracket with 2003 Altima rear rotors.
Master cylinder - Z31 TT
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
mine, i love it
i dont really like my rear set up which is Sti + Z32 rotors, im thinking about a special order. IDC! lol dont mind the harness, i will be tucking it, and tubs!

IMG_3142 by d_2jzgte, on Flickr
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

^^^sti brembos in the front right? what dont you like about the rears? feels unbiased? and what size is the wheel (im gonna guess 17")
Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #23
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifd3s View Post
After a little investigation,

Ive read that the SE-R SpecV Brembos use a 300x22mm disc rotor. Now Ive searched and have seen that the R33 GTR Brembos rear AND 03-05 Evo's rear use the same size rotor. Now would I be able to use those rotors on the SE-R calipers in the front in an S14?

Im guessing yes?
Brilliant Florida
except what do you plan to do about the fact that rear R33 and Evo rotors
are designed to house a e-brake assembly?

or even if they did bolt on, what makes you think they've be the right offset to the caliper?
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
ManoNegra

ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Quote:
Heading in the right direction but not quite there

CodyAce knows what's up:

Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #25
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

^details? trying to get all the info in one place. also, that caliper doesnt look like its mounted in the stock caliper mounts...looks a bit low?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
^^^sti brembos in the front right? what dont you like about the rears? feels unbiased? and what size is the wheel (im gonna guess 17")
yes Sti fronts and rears +17/16 BMC and yes those are 17's
Sti rear rotors are thicker than Z32's

i want to get another S chassis just so i can slap on some project muahahahaha

oh and that wilwood set up looks good
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is purely to serve as a mild brake upgrade on my S14 until I decide to put more money into it. Currently have 2001 Q45 rotors and calipers up front with Hawk HPS pads, then out back I have the Z31 caliper bracket with 2003 Altima rear rotors and Hawk HPS pad in the stock S14 calipers. So far it's been good enough to take the 60-0 distance from 143 feet down to 119 feet.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
i'll be installing my wilwood superlite/z33 brembo setup this weekend, upgrading from a z32 setup. around spring i plan to upgrade to the 2 piece wilwood rotors also.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
ManoNegra

Quote:
^details? trying to get all the info in one place. also, that caliper doesnt look like its mounted in the stock caliper mounts...looks a bit low?
Defsport / Skullworks Budget Baller Wilwood FSL Kit

also if you care to learn more about the nuances of the Evo/STi Brembo caliper swap search under my username
I know I've posted a good deal of information on the swap
Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

i've actually read about that def/skullworks brake setup, but could never find any info. thanks mano!