Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 AM   #7561
Ruff Ryder 6
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
Ruff Ryder 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just placed my order for the grip knuckles as well. Can't wait to install
Ruff Ryder 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #7562
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatPs13 View Post
What is the advantage of using the 350z steering rack? Is it wider?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I believe it’s actually narrower, and less travel.
Actually has more travel. You don't need to use spacers on the tie rods to get more travel out of the rack.

Also, the steering shaft is located further outward, making more room for exhaust plumbing.

The mounting system is more robust, with a two bolt flange at one end and a bushing at the other. There's no way for the rack to travel side-to-side.

Lastly, they go for $75 on ebay and are as plentiful as wonderbread, vs. "I want $150 for my 200k leaky rack" s-chassis racks.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #7563
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Actually has more travel. You don't need to use spacers on the tie rods to get more travel out of the rack.

Also, the steering shaft is located further outward, making more room for exhaust plumbing.

The mounting system is more robust, with a two bolt flange at one end and a bushing at the other. There's no way for the rack to travel side-to-side.

Lastly, they go for $75 on ebay and are as plentiful as wonderbread, vs. "I want $150 for my 200k leaky rack" s-chassis racks.
Do you know what the turn ratio is?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #7564
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
Do you know what the turn ratio is?

15.9:1, 2.6 turns lock to lock. Found via a 30 second google search.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #7565
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well maybe someone can make a weld in kit for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #7566
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
15.9:1, 2.6 turns lock to lock. Found via a 30 second google search.
Please excuse my indolence, as I do know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Well maybe someone can make a weld in kit for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks like it's a real tight space with the mounting ears

Old 03-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #7567
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Hey everyone I'm in a bit of a situation. Ive grabbed myself gk tech front and rear drop knuckles. I'm stoked for them but I realized looking at the car today I will have clearance issues. I have 18x 9.5 wheels with a 265/35 federals, and tein super drift coilovers. With that setup, the coils are at maximum height adjustnent. I'm dropping down to a 255 but I don't think that will come close to alleviating the drop these knuckles are going to add.
I've seen the idea of strut spacers, but in reality how safe will that be?

Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #7568
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I assume you mean a spacer between the strut and unibody. I also assume that when you say "the coils are at maximum height adjustment", you mean that they are set to their lowest possible ride height.

In that case, I don't think the spacers will help you, you would need to reduce the ride height even further to compensate for them.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #7569
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
I assume you mean a spacer between the strut and unibody. I also assume that when you say "the coils are at maximum height adjustment", you mean that they are set to their lowest possible ride height.

In that case, I don't think the spacers will help you, you would need to reduce the ride height even further to compensate for them.
No I mean at their highest. I have my coils set to lift the car as much as possible. The lower mounts are at the very bottom of the threads on the body. Unless I'm an idiot and I'm not understanding properly. Only referring to the front, the gk tech knuckles (grip knickles) move the spindle location up, while keeping everything else in the same place. Meaning the wheel itself will move upward to the fender. With oem knuckles, my coils are at Max lift and I have just enough gap to be functional. Once these knuckles are on, my wheel would be hitting the fender and I cannot raise the car anymore with the coils, which is why I asked about spacers between the strut and body. I believe I saw someone further up the thread asking as well, but no follow up on what they did.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #7570
junkyiv
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
junkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nicejunkyiv is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Hey everyone I'm in a bit of a situation. Ive grabbed myself gk tech front and rear drop knuckles. I'm stoked for them but I realized looking at the car today I will have clearance issues. I have 18x 9.5 wheels with a 265/35 federals, and tein super drift coilovers. With that setup, the coils are at maximum height adjustnent. I'm dropping down to a 255 but I don't think that will come close to alleviating the drop these knuckles are going to add.
I've seen the idea of strut spacers, but in reality how safe will that be?

I wouldn't think that adding a spacer at the top strut mount would be any less safe than using a wheel spacer, provided that they are properly constructed.
junkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #7571
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyiv View Post
I wouldn't think that adding a spacer at the top strut mount would be any less safe than using a wheel spacer, provided that they are properly constructed.
Didn't think about it that way. I've been searching up either way, and all I've seen is PMB limit break adapters for the front I could use as spacers, but that's it. I've been looking at the manual for super drifts, and didn't find a safe thread engagement limit for the lower brackets. Just hoping I don't have to get new coilovers because of this.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #7572
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I find that strange as my car is much lower than yours (although I have BC BR coilovers) and my damper is threaded a few inches below the lower mount in the front. I'm stoked for my grip knuckles to arrive so I can correct all that junk.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #7573
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I find that strange as my car is much lower than yours (although I have BC BR coilovers) and my damper is threaded a few inches below the lower mount in the front. I'm stoked for my grip knuckles to arrive so I can correct all that junk.
Our coils are different, but that makes sense if your car is lowered a lot more than mine. Then the lower bracket would be moved up the shock body, hence you have a lot of threads under it. Even though I'm not coming close to monster truck status, I didn't think about being out of thread.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #7574
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Didn't think about it that way. I've been searching up either way, and all I've seen is PMB limit break adapters for the front I could use as spacers, but that's it. I've been looking at the manual for super drifts, and didn't find a safe thread engagement limit for the lower brackets. Just hoping I don't have to get new coilovers because of this.

You can buy GKtech strut relocation plates, which raise the car about 30mm.

Quote:
Our coils are different, but that makes sense if your car is lowered a lot more than mine. Then the lower bracket would be moved up the shock body, hence you have a lot of threads under it. Even though I'm not coming close to monster truck status, I didn't think about being out of thread.

PSSSSST, you're going to break those tie rod ends because they're JUNK.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #7575
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Fuck for real? The gk tech tie rods are shit? Greaaaat. And I saw those, but unfortunately their site states they are not compatible with super drift coils. So idk. I'm gonna have to see how bad it is and how much clearance I need.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #7576
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Fuck for real? The gk tech tie rods are shit? Greaaaat. And I saw those, but unfortunately their site states they are not compatible with super drift coils. So idk. I'm gonna have to see how bad it is and how much clearance I need.

Ooops, with the boots on I mistook those for Megan Racing tie rod ends hahaahha.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #7577
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

More Bink Industries sway bar pics added to the OP. I have quite a few suspension bits coming in the mail at this point!

Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #7578
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
More Bink Industries sway bar pics added to the OP. I have quite a few suspension bits coming in the mail at this point!
Never heard of them. Browsed their site, wish that rack centering spacer would fit a stock set up. Pretty neat idea.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #7579
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
for the front coils have you tried flipping the bracket that mounts to the knuckle? it looks like it could give you a few extra mm...

I had to order longer rear coilover mounts from fortune auto (+60mm longer).

I'm anxious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on the GK TECH grip knuckles!
They look promising.
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #7580
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjake View Post
for the front coils have you tried flipping the bracket that mounts to the knuckle? it looks like it could give you a few extra mm...

I had to order longer rear coilover mounts from fortune auto (+60mm longer).

I'm anxious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on the GK TECH grip knuckles!
They look promising.
I thought about that, but the welds are on the lower side. The collar would have an uneven clamp on the lower bracket, and probably back off. I'll have to call tein in Downey and see what they can do. I wanted to get them refreshed while I was at it. Also I need new tires, and am going to drop down from a 265/35 r18 down to a 245/35 (wheels are 9.5 square). 9.5 is still in acceptable range of a 245, so hopefully it will help out with some clearance as well.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #7581
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
I thought about that, but the welds are on the lower side. The collar would have an uneven clamp on the lower bracket, and probably back off.

Then put your locking collar on the bottom when you flip the bracket. I’ve run my coils like that for ages.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #7582
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Depending on your knuckle/LCA/tie rod end combo, you're probably going to need longer tie rods. Here's a nice list of lengths:

89-94 240sx.. 11.10" (m12x1.25)
95-98 240sx.. 11.37"
94-99 maxima 11.42"
96-99 i30...... 11.42"
97-01 Q45..... 12.00" (same with 01-06)
00-04 i30...... 12.91"
99-03 maxima 12.91"
03-08 maxima 13.30" (same with 04-06)
PSM Spherical....12.5"
GKTech spherical 14.5"
Hey, Andy, can we update this on the 1st page with inners and outers?

Inner:
M12x1.25:
11.10" - '89-'94 240sx (S13)
M14x1.5:
11.37" - '95-'98 240sx (S14)
11.42" - '94-'99 Maxima (A32)
11.42" - '96-'99 I30 (A32)
12.00" - '97-'01 Q45 (FY33)
12.00" - '01-'06 Q45 (F50)
12.91" - '99-'03 Maxima (A33)
12.91" - '00-'04 I30 (A33)
13.30" - '03-'08 Maxima (A34)
12.50" - PSM Spherical
14.50" - GKTech Spherical

Outer:
M12x1.25:
x.xx" - '89-'94 240sx (S13)
M14x1.5:
3.63" - '95-'98 240sx (S14)
5.00" - '88-'94 Maxima (J30)
x.xx" - '94-'99 Maxima (A32)

...Something along those lines. Getting longer outers is super helpful in a pinch. I use those 5" Maxima outers on both of my S13s.

If anyone knows of other tie rod lengths or has a correction to make, post it.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #7583
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Who has actual first hand experience with drastically increasing scrub radius?

I.E running 18x9 +20 front wheels then changing to 18x9 -15 front wheels.

I am curious about steering feel / feedback / entries / drifting.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #7584
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I tried exactly that for more TC rod / sway bar clearance at full lock. 17x9 +20 with a 35mm spacer.

Even with the spacers, the wheels would still hit the TC/sway, but now with the added downside of rubbing the front and back of the fender going from lock to lock, and also the back of the inner wheel well (firewall).

I didn't even attempt to drive it like that.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #7585
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

For the past few years I’ve been running +56mm FLCAs, PBM drop knuckles, and 16x9 -32 on 225/45s

Super easy steering. Goes where you point it. Self-steers during transfers. It’s great. It damn near drifts itself.

I noticed a huge handling improvement and bumpsteer reduction when switching to those knuckles. 10/10 would recommend, especially for extra low 240s.

Steering clearance is fine now, but it took a good bit of effort. BFH to the rear and upper sections of the wheel wells, completely cut out the front section of the wheel wells, big flares, and longer fender brackets to bow the front of the fender out some.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #7586
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
Why that's a great idea sir, consider it done!

Old 03-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #7587
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Jay did u move the rack forward or r u running the spacer that move the tie rod forward? And or the spacers/ bushings for the rack that It forward? I'm getting ready to say fuck it and buy the fraction sub frame, can't seem to stop the rack from moving left to right. Looking into the z33 rack is any one running one?
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #7588
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnr32gtr View Post
Jay did u move the rack forward or r u running the spacer that move the tie rod forward? And or the spacers/ bushings for the rack that It forward? I'm getting ready to say fuck it and buy the fraction sub frame, can't seem to stop the rack from moving left to right. Looking into the z33 rack is any one running one?

I just got my Z33 rack. Waiting for my crossmember to come back from the chemical dip before I start mocking up the mounting. It would probably be easiest if you had a 350Z front subframe and could just cut and splice.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #7589
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnr32gtr View Post

Yes, I relocated the rack forward. Cut n shut subframe, poly bushings.

I had the PBM eccentric rack bushings for a while and has issues with the rack slipping left/right when hitting lock.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #7590
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post

Inner:
M12x1.25:
11.10" - '89-'94 240sx (S13)
M14x1.5:
11.37" - '95-'98 240sx (S14)
11.42" - '94-'99 Maxima (A32)
11.42" - '96-'99 I30 (A32)
12.00" - '97-'01 Q45 (FY33)
12.00" - '01-'06 Q45 (F50)
12.91" - '99-'03 Maxima (A33)
12.91" - '00-'04 I30 (A33)
13.30" - '03-'08 Maxima (A34)
12.50" - PSM Spherical
14.50" - GKTech Spherical

Outer:
M12x1.25:
x.xx" - '89-'94 240sx (S13)
M14x1.5:
3.63" - '95-'98 240sx (S14)
5.00" - '88-'94 Maxima (J30)
x.xx" - '94-'99 Maxima (A32)

...Something along those lines. Getting longer outers is super helpful in a pinch. I use those 5" Maxima outers on both of my S13s.

If anyone knows of other tie rod lengths or has a correction to make, post it.

Andy, just measured the stock ones off my coupe.

S13 outer is 3.88” measured from threaded end to pivot point.

I also have some S14 and 88-94 Maxima outers in my garage. They match up to those quoted numbers. S14 might be 3.69” (3-11/16) but that’s splitting hairs.