Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #31
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am in Richmond so a few hours south but wouldn't mind the trip. With you on the sound. That's what I am going for too. Ti exhaust, no air filters and no stereo. Just the music of an n/a RB! And yes, since my current car has 500hp as did my last 2, this will certainly feel quite slow. But I am getting old too..
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #32
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I love the build so far, Engineered to Slide's NA SR is probably one of my favorite builds so it's hard not to be into this!

For what it's worth with the RPM you're targeting I'd highly recommend aftermarket valve springs and retainers. The 25+ year old stock stuff is well known for causing valve float at high RPM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #33
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree^. I know RB to SR is apples to oranges but I am going for a similar setup.

I have Tomei 272 10.25 cams, supertech +1 valves and went with Supertech dual 243 springs with Ti retainers. Since I am shooting for 10k redline, I even got Tomei beryllium copper valve seat rings for the high revs.

What compression are you shooting for? I assume pump gas is the goal too? Sorry if I missed that in earlier posts.
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #34
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
+3 for springs and retainers, you're going to have the head all apart anyway, its just good insurance.

I've got some BNIB SuperTech springs and retainers I'll let go if you are interested
Old 01-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #35
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My issue with springs is I think most of the options are too stiff over oem. Do we know what springs are just a bit stiffer? No point in having the hardest springs you can get and then the engine is just fighting them and burning up the cam journals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #36
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
He's bringing back Junyan corners!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #37
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
My issue with springs is I think most of the options are too stiff over oem. Do we know what springs are just a bit stiffer? No point in having the hardest springs you can get and then the engine is just fighting them and burning up the cam journals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree to a point, most springs are way too aggressive. The 100+lbs dual spring options are not suited for anything but billet cams and solid lifters. Stock DET springs have around 45lbs of seat pressure if I remember correctly, after 20+ years they're probably slightly lower than that. I have no idea if DE springs are the same.

The kit I bought a while back is Supertech H1021S/SR20, these have a 68lbs seat pressure and have a nice titanium retainer. For a mild cam, like the Tomei 260's, this is a great option that will ensure there is not too much load on the rockers or cam lobes while making sure you aren't floating valves and retaining valve train efficiency. This is huge for a N/A motor, you want to make sure you are making the most of every time those valves have to open and close.

Really comes down to what you want, honestly stock springs would probably work for the time being. If you really want to make the most out of it, I'd say springs/retainers should be high on your list of "must haves".
Old 01-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #38
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
He's bringing back Junyan corners!
What are you talking about?
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote