Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #31
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbronegro View Post
I have a 7.3 excursion...It's just my wife, my kid, and I. (I'm 5'8" and wife is 4,11"). It's overkill to the fullest but I love it. It does everything needed and can tow your life. Its awesome for track days because the fam can camp in the back while soaking up AC out of the sun while I have fun. I'm not suggesting you go absurdly big like I did, but I do suggest get what your looking for plus a little extra. But, thats my philosophy with trucks and SUV's.

I know as far as 'do it all family SUV's' that are reliable and can tow. You cant go wrong with the early to mid 2000's GM's (tahoe, yukon, suburban, yukon xl). No they dont get the MPG's most are looking for but they last forever and parts are cheap, which saves you money in the long wrong which might make up for the milage. I do think the Armarda gets even worse gas milage to be honest. Toyota Sequoia (spelling?), Ford Explorers, 06+ 5.4 Expoditions, Pilot, MDX, are all good choices as well. It doesnt seem like you're willing to accept domestic options though.

How often do you plan to drive it?
How much will it tow?
Whats your MPG goals?
Started looking at more GM products. I'd love to get 2007+ police interceptor Tahoe, but that more than i want to spend right now.

I don't anticipate ever towing anything heavier than a Z32 right now. I really don't know what to expect in terms of MPGs. Is mid to high teens too much to ask for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
My current daily is a trailblazer, and let me tell you, it's awesome. It's a 2002 that my dad bought with 20k on it. I bought it from him with 160k on it years ago. Today is has 307k on it, unopened original engine and trans. Hands down best, most reliable vehicle I've owned. Minor common issues, but easy to work on. The inline 6 4.2 is bulletproof. I've concluded that when this one dies I'm buying another one, for sure.
Saw a Trailblazer EXT on the road today & got interested in it since you mentioned it in here. Holy crap, what a sleeper vehicle. I had no idea. 3 available engines, including a 4.2L inline 6 with 273hp?!? Do ppl turbo those? Bet it beats the dogshit out of the Pathfinder's VQ40... The 5.3l LM4 is the mid-level engine cranking 300hp with cylinder deactivation back in 2003?!? Dafuq!!! Plus i really dig the styling. Would look amazing with a modest drop, wheels & SS aero. I couldn't believe how cheap they are. They're basically free... lol... But reviews are pretty bad on them in terms of reliability & crash safety. Is that because of the v8's displacement on demand & transmission issues that were mentioned earlier? Apparently, this things got a shitload of twins from other brands. Are they any better options? What do you guys think?

Oh, looked at the Sequoia. Put me to sleep.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #32
turbronegro
Zilvia Junkie

turbronegro is an unknown quantity at this point
Mid to high teens while towing?
I'm assuming mid teens maybe if you're light on it while empty lol.

Last 4 tanks on my excursion has been 17 to 18.5 mpg. 70% city and 30% highway.
turbronegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #33
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
You are not going to get high teens while gas. You need a diesel for that.

American is cool. But all too often early to mid 2000’s have transmission issues.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #34
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Quote:

Oh no, I won't be towing often enough to care about mpg while towing. I'm just hoping for mid to high teens are regular everyday driving. Your Excursion mpg gives me some hope.

Well, sniffing around the Trailblazer has led me to all their shared GMT360 & GMT370 chassis brethren. The Ascender, Bravada and Ranier make my stomach turn. I LOVE the upscale styling of the Saab 9-7X, but it doesn't seem to offer 3rd row seating. The leaves the GMC Envoy XL. The Denali version looks perfect for me in terms of styling & price, but they seem pretty rare. Might just have to look for a regular XL to test drive.

GM guys - correct me if I'm wrong, but my initial impression is that the 4.2L I6 Vortech is more reliable than the 5.3L V8 LM4... Yes or no?
Old 08-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #35
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

v8 gas, v10, or one of the diesel v8s? These numbers look like diesel.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #36
turbronegro
Zilvia Junkie

turbronegro is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a 7.3 diesel. No gas v8 or v10 suv will get these number lol
turbronegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #37
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
It's a 7.3 diesel. No gas v8 or v10 suv will get these number lol
Oh, I'm not really interested much in the V8 right now. I'm hoping to get these kinda numbers from the 4.2L I6...
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #38
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Well, sniffing around the Trailblazer has led me to all their shared GMT360 & GMT370 chassis brethren. The Ascender, Bravada and Ranier make my stomach turn. I LOVE the upscale styling of the Saab 9-7X, but it doesn't seem to offer 3rd row seating. The leaves the GMC Envoy XL. The Denali version looks perfect for me in terms of styling & price, but they seem pretty rare. Might just have to look for a regular XL to test drive.

GM guys - correct me if I'm wrong, but my initial impression is that the 4.2L I6 Vortech is more reliable than the 5.3L V8 LM4... Yes or no?
I would have to agree with the reliability statement from my experience, however both seem to be quite reliable. As far as fuel economy, I'm currently getting about 20mpg combined on my 300k+ mile 4.2 after doing a recent fuel system cleaning. I can't ask for any more from this thing, it's been so great to me so I'm glad you're looking into these
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #39
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Checked out some EXT Envoys. I really liked them, but they were tripping on those prices. $10k+ for 2003 to 2005 cars with 150k miles. I could kinda understand if they were loaded 5.3L EXTs... but nah these were just 4.2Ls... I might just have to stick with Pilot if I don't see prices I like. But then again, I'm not in a rush. Maybe I'll start checking out the local public auction houses.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #40
Mikey213
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (-1)
Mikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really nice
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Just get an Offroad Xterra.(2ndgen) Throw away OEM Calsonic radiator and replace with CSF and you're good to go! I already got 220,000! and I beat the living $hit out of it!
Oh you said for kids N/M don't get it HAHAHA It's not exactly a comfort car. But it's a dirt beast for the price!
Mikey213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #41
simmode1
Post Whore!

I'm pretty locked in on the GMC Envoy EXT SLs at this point.
Just gotta find a black one with decent mileage in my price range. No rush.
Plan to throw a modest lowering kit with replica Trailblazer SS wheels on it.