Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
mhib0717

Trader Rating: (0)
mhib0717 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2JZ...or SR20....or LS3? Want 400hp DD

Just got my S14 and its my DD, I want a clean mean daily driver but that I can easily smoke all these affliction t-shirt wearing, camaro and mustang driving hicks around here....looking to spend like 5-6k and dont want anything crazy. I am a rookie at this and need help...thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
DDs13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
DDs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
well if you get the LS3 you''ll be no different that those "hicks" driving around in the camaros and mustangs. Go for the 2JZ be different.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
mhib0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDs13 View Post
well if you get the LS3 you''ll be no different that those "hicks" driving around in the camaros and mustangs. Go for the 2JZ be different.
I agree, my original idea from before I purchased my 240 was just get SR and be good but I just want a quick easy access to some HP. and then my next question is how much do I have to get on top of the motor/tranny package?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Twinkies!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Twinkies! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ca18det is the way to go
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
sr with upgraded turbo and shit

just for the simple fact is a ls is gonna be alot more then your limits the right way and a/c is very easy with sr since its a dd
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Bumpkin203
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Bumpkin203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
For 5-6k, i doubt you could afford any but the sr.

Instagram @bankai_r32
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
SR20 is a piece of shit.

IF you want power and function go FJ20ET. best 4 cylinder nissan ever made.

for 5K you could build a nice KA24.

forged rods, pistons, cams, HX35, intake mani, exhaust mani, nismotronic, ACT clutch etc etc ec basically a ka good for around 500 600hp.

then you can say. "if your v8 is soo good why did it get beat by a 4 cylinder with less then half the displacement."
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
mhib0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14fbs View Post
sr with upgraded turbo and shit

just for the simple fact is a ls is gonna be alot more then your limits the right way and a/c is very easy with sr since its a dd
Oh really? okay thanks man. So the next question is what upgraded turbo and etc. should I use on the SR to get it close to 400hp DD
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
mhib0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by S12 Drifter View Post
SR20 is a piece of shit.

IF you want power and function go FJ20ET. best 4 cylinder nissan ever made.

for 5K you could build a nice KA24.

forged rods, pistons, cams, HX35, intake mani, exhaust mani, nismotronic, ACT clutch etc etc ec basically a ka good for around 500 600hp.

then you can say. "if your v8 is soo good why did it get beat by a 4 cylinder with less then half the displacement."
Really?? but how much we talking on all that on a KA and is it still going to be a practical DD?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Why don't you help yourself and do some research. No one here is going to spoon feed you, nor are they paying for this project. Ante up, search and read any and all information pertaining to what YOU want to do with the car, not what some guy behind the keyboard wants you to do.

Mods, please take care of this thread...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
TougeLabs
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
TougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TougeLabs
V10 Viper motor.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
13b... for reliability
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
mhib0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Why don't you help yourself and do some research. No one here is going to spoon feed you, nor are they paying for this project. Ante up, search and read any and all information pertaining to what YOU want to do with the car, not what some guy behind the keyboard wants you to do.

Mods, please take care of this thread...
Did I ask anyone to spoon feed me? Or pay for my project? Ya didn't think so...just asked for opinions and thoughts. Anyone who thinks they can figure everything out on their own is naive and in for a long haul with some mistakes, I plan on doing some research but I also plan on asking people with more experience than me and then laying some grounds for what to research and what seems like a good idea for me and my wallet but thank you for your opinion sir
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
look into a 1jz...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
Twinkies!
Zilvia Junkie

Twinkies! is an unknown quantity at this point
but seriously look and do your research yourself see what best fits you not what other people think, look up the pros and cons of each motor look into aftermarket parts look at videos do your research, Google it works wonders my friend
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Jersthecool
Zilvia Junkie

Jersthecool is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah with 5-6k I'd go with a properly set up sr20. If you had a bit more you could go and do a sick 2j but I enjoy an sr20 for just a daily that is still fast. I'm running around 300 to the wheels and it's been reliable for me and still lets me crush a lot of people beat some buddy a couple weeks back in his 5 series bmw and last night raced my buddy with a 360rwhp fd rx7 and he was the slight bit faster. I do get quite a bit of lag with my turbo so it's not 100% optimal for a daily but I still love it. If you went with a proper turbo you could make some power with and still have a quick spool it'd be the perfect swap for you. I've heard many good things about the gt2871r .64 being a great turbo for response and power, I currently have the same but with the .86 housing and it's a bit laggy (spool around 3400 and full boost not until around 45 or 4600) but when it spools it pulls hard so you'd probably have good luck with a .64
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
mhib0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies! View Post
but seriously look and do your research yourself see what best fits you not what other people think, look up the pros and cons of each motor look into aftermarket parts look at videos do your research, Google it works wonders my friend
thanks man will do
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
mhib0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersthecool View Post
Yeah with 5-6k I'd go with a properly set up sr20. If you had a bit more you could go and do a sick 2j but I enjoy an sr20 for just a daily that is still fast. I'm running around 300 to the wheels and it's been reliable for me and still lets me crush a lot of people beat some buddy a couple weeks back in his 5 series bmw and last night raced my buddy with a 360rwhp fd rx7 and he was the slight bit faster. I do get quite a bit of lag with my turbo so it's not 100% optimal for a daily but I still love it. If you went with a proper turbo you could make some power with and still have a quick spool it'd be the perfect swap for you. I've heard many good things about the gt2871r .64 being a great turbo for response and power, I currently have the same but with the .86 housing and it's a bit laggy (spool around 3400 and full boost not until around 45 or 4600) but when it spools it pulls hard so you'd probably have good luck with a .64
300 isnt too bad. I'll look into that gt2871r .64.....sounds pretty sweet. Like I said just looking for opinions on daily stuff. after this one is done and set for a daily I will jack around with a s13 and make it crazy but just want a good reliable setup for my dd s14
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
SharkMan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (28)
SharkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
^^ Exactly, I understand your looking for advice and opinions but in the end its your car and your decision and your going to have to do the work. Sr's, 1j's, and lax swaps all have the pros and cons varying from how much Fab work and time and powerbands. Just search and decide what best for you.

Also we don't promote street racing here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Front hugs or from behind hugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan240 View Post
The Black Star Ninja is my real father...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
mhib0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkMan View Post
^^ Exactly, I understand your looking for advice and opinions but in the end its your car and your decision and your going to have to do the work. Sr's, 1j's, and lax swaps all have the pros and cons varying from how much Fab work and time and powerbands. Just search and decide what best for you.

Also we don't promote street racing here...
I was refering to the drags haha no street racing...just occasional midnight drags at the local drag strip with the hicks here in oklahoma lol
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
why the fuck would you buy a SR when you can go to the junkyard and buy a full ka for like 250 bux and build off that with that you can EASILY have a forged KA24 that can put down 400-500hp... for 5-6k? do you want a unique swap? nothing unique about a shittastic SR. ls has been done and 2jz/1jz has been done...

go fj20

god damn i knew people were stupid but shit....

and by the way you can buy the 2jz aristo auto and the auto is good til about 450hp. the engine + trans runs around 2k or 2,500ish
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
13b... for reliability

Quoted cause nobody else caught it lol
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhib0717 View Post
Oh really? okay thanks man. So the next question is what upgraded turbo and etc. should I use on the SR to get it close to 400hp DD
either tomei 7960 or 8270 or gt2871r .84 theres a few bolt on options

your best is to research this stuff your self to see what best suits your needs a budget
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S12 Drifter View Post
why the fuck would you buy a SR when you can go to the junkyard and buy a full ka for like 250 bux and build off that with that you can EASILY have a forged KA24 that can put down 400-500hp... for 5-6k? do you want a unique swap? nothing unique about a shittastic SR. ls has been done and 2jz/1jz has been done...

go fj20

god damn i knew people were stupid but shit....

and by the way you can buy the 2jz aristo auto and the auto is good til about 450hp. the engine + trans runs around 2k or 2,500ish
for one coming from a 4-5 year ka-t owner there not great dd motors and are very hit or miss realibilty wise

and yes u can get a 2jz for that much but then u need a r154 not cheap or easy to get and with 1jz 2jz u have to do single top mount just to be able to run the heater core then custom a/c intercooler and exhaust piping

so many people throw out numbers w/o realizing how much little shit adds up to actually make it work fully
Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14fbs View Post
for one coming from a 4-5 year ka-t owner there not great dd motors and are very hit or miss realibilty wise

and yes u can get a 2jz for that much but then u need a r154 not cheap or easy to get and with 1jz 2jz u have to do single top mount just to be able to run the heater core then custom a/c intercooler and exhaust piping

so many people throw out numbers w/o realizing how much little shit adds up to actually make it work fully
your right little shit adds up. but you DONT need a R154. the AUTOMATIC ARISTO TRANSMISSION and hold 450hp. you dont need to do a single turbo, stop throwing shit out there you dont need.

get a D/S made, mounts, mount it in, I/C fuel pump, boost up, radiator, wire it up and your done, you can easily hit 370rwhp with the stock twins.

but yea you will need a exhaust made but for 6k it's possible.

and if your rebuilding a ka24 into a forged ka24 and you have problems you built it wrong you should not have ANY problems with it at all. most of the time people DONT KNOW how to take care of the engine or tune it and end up blowing the motor up then blame the motor instead of the tuner.

if the ka is as bad as you say nissan would have ended production and had a massive recall. it's all about HOW it's built.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #26
SharkMan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (28)
SharkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
I was refering to the drags haha no street racing...just occasional midnight drags at the local drag strip with the hicks here in oklahoma lol
Ah I see, meh I was just clarifying. And if its strip I say any of the choices could work out fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
LoL, when I initially read it I was like "wtf no..." and pretended like I didn't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Front hugs or from behind hugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan240 View Post
The Black Star Ninja is my real father...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #27
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Just got my S14 and its my DD, I want a clean mean daily driver but that I can easily smoke all these affliction t-shirt wearing, camaro and mustang driving hicks around here....looking to spend like 5-6k and dont want anything crazy. I am a rookie at this and need help...thanks.
Quote:
Did I ask anyone to spoon feed me? Or pay for my project? Ya didn't think so...just asked for opinions and thoughts. Anyone who thinks they can figure everything out on their own is naive and in for a long haul with some mistakes, I plan on doing some research but I also plan on asking people with more experience than me and then laying some grounds for what to research and what seems like a good idea for me and my wallet but thank you for your opinion sir
Your first posts says you need help, which in laymens terms to me, since youre a new guy, means spoon feed me.

No one said you were going to have it all figured out, but YOU don't even know what YOU want and you're already asking for help, to make up YOUR mind.

It's simple really, weigh the pros and cons of each and make an educated decision based on what you can afford and can mechanically handle.

I'm not trying to come off as an ass, but you are the only one capable of teaching yourself what you need to know, all the information is here on this forum. Welcome to the Forums!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
trxrx7
Leaky Injector

trxrx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
that is true but i tell you what, i have owned many rotarys before i got into nissan's, 13bt 12a's and i still have a fd3s 13b-rew, i have had a 2jz, ca18det(my current setup in my vert because i got it for pretty much nothing) a sr20det and rb20det, and none of those gave me a feeling like a turbo rotary does but yes they are not really reliable, but i like them too much to let go!

back to topic if you are looking for 300-400whp your best bet would be sr20det(can hit 320whp with just bolt ons) or rb25det A LOT cheaper than the jz swaps
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #29
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah no joke.. my VH45 swap was right at around 6500... but, it was everything from radiator, to differential. all rebuilt and ready to run for 200,000+ miles
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
Prove It
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Prove It is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I forgot how many dumb kids there are on zilvia. Do your research and decide for yourself. Personally you can get the best bang for your buck and have reliability with a 2JZ but You will pay for it
Closed Thread