Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Administration > Forum Suggestions & Technical Support

Forum Suggestions & Technical Support Post any suggestions or questions related to this site.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
Thumbs up Search Zilvia from the Firefox Search Bar - IE7 Now Supported!

I've always wanted to be able to search Zilvia from the Firefox search toolbar but there has never been a way to add it. So today I did a little research and was able to get it working. I thought this might be a nice little addition to suggest for Zilvia

In Firefox, if you visit http://www.jamesoft.net/AddZilviaSearch_Firefox.html (this is my home webserver, so don't worry, not spyware ridden) you will notice that the button next to the search text box on the toolbar changes color slightly. Click that down arrow and it will say "Add Zilvia.net."

Once you click that, all you have to do is select Zilvia.net(it selects it for you by default) from the drop down box, type your search criteria into the box and hit enter. Takes you right to Zilvia with your results!

You can make that icon change colors like that while they are browsing Zilvia on every page so that hopefully people will notice it, add it, and stop padding the forums with redundant questions

You can make this search addon smarter by adding a few details as well.

If you'd like the files/markup on how to do this (Admins), just shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to help.

UPDATE - IE7 Now Supported!

Use the following address to install the search provider in IE7:

http://www.jamesoft.net/AddZilviaSearch_IE7.html

Use the same basic directions above to install the Zilvia Search Provider in IE7.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome, thank you!
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello88
Awesome, thank you!

No problem, I had to take a break from coding at work and code something fun for a change, haha.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Nice props and another green square
Tenchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
+rep
now a light green square
great information
thread stickied

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks everyone!

If anyone wants to mirror the files required to do this elsewhere, PM me.

My fiances cats like to dropkick each other near my server and sometimes knock the power out As long as they're chill, my server will be up
Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
ripnbst
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I tried and it doesnt say add zilvia.net. all it says is add engines and then it takes me to a mozilla page that says it cant find the zilvia one. Oh yeah the down arrow didnt change color either, that might be why
Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm not at home now, but it seems like the cats or my hippie roommate have knocked the server offline.

Luckily, Kn1ves was nice enough to host a mirror found below (thanks!)

http://illusivedesigns.net/kn1ves/zi...h_Firefox.html

I just tested that one and it worked fine for me.

I'll get my server back up in an hour or so when I get home.

Edit: Now that I think of it, you may need to upgrade to Firefox 2.0. I don't believe the ability for Firefox to detect available searches was built into pre-Firefox 2.0 browsers.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
kura

kura is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kura
Haha that's awesome! Thanks ;D
kura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
staygold24
Zilvia Addict

staygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enough
page wont load?
staygold24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

I made a modification to the search today.

I started to realize that while I liked using the search, I didn't like that over half of the results were from the For Sale section. Typically when I am searching, I'm searching for an answer to a problem which would be found in the Chat or Tech Talk sections.

With that in mind, I made a new version this morning that only searches through those two forums.

How to upgrade

What you will want to do before installing is to delete the old search function. Do this by clicking on the down arrow next to the search box and going to "Manage Search Engines..."

Select Zilvia.net and click the Remove button, now hit Ok.

Browse to the address below and click the down arrow next to the search box when it changes colors and click "Add Zilvia.net"

http://www.jamesoft.net/AddZilviaSea...Chat_Tech.html

And you're done. It will only search the Chat and Tech Talk sections. Sadly we can't allow it to let us select which forum since it has no dynamic functionality but it fits my needs (and hopefully everyone elses) better.

Also, anyone wanting to mirror the files, just send me a PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
shift_boost

shift_boost is an unknown quantity at this point
all your links are down....i wanna use it
shift_boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

^^^ Sorry about that. I've been messing with the web server while working on a website for our wedding.

Should be up and running now!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

UPDATE

The server should now be more reliable for anyone looking to use this add-on. I moved the server into a server closet and switched from Windows 2k to Ubuntu. Windows 2k seemed to be corrupt, causing it to act up every now and then. This was causing many of the outages it's had.

This server will be reliable since I'm going to be starting a small business in a few months (hopefully) and this is the box it will initially be hosted on. Should be smooth sailing from here on out.

The address is: http://www.jamesoft.net/AddZilviaSearch_Firefox.html
Old 11-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
superbovine

superbovine is on a distinguished road
Not to hijack your thread, but IE7 needs some help server side to do the same thing. Here are the instruction if the admin is interested.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213631
superbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks for the heads up, I added a new page to accomodate IE7 searches. It is located at:

Same details apply. The drop-down arrow next to the search bar will illuminate, click it and select to add it as a search provider. You will need to select it in order to start using it. IE7 doesn't select it as soon as you add it like Firefox does.

I'll also add this to the first post so newcomers will see it.

I didn't think anyone used IE7 anymore I keed I keed. Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
MURPHY
Nissanaholic!

MURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to MURPHY
i love this thing. use it all the time
MURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #18
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear someone besides myself uses it
Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #19
superbovine

superbovine is on a distinguished road
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I added a new page to accomodate IE7 searches. It is located at:

Same details apply. The drop-down arrow next to the search bar will illuminate, click it and select to add it as a search provider. You will need to select it in order to start using it. IE7 doesn't select it as soon as you add it like Firefox does.

I'll also add this to the first post so newcomers will see it.

I didn't think anyone used IE7 anymore I keed I keed. Thanks again!
superbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #20
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
cant get it to work??

is it too old??

Says "Firefox cannot download the search plugin from:...." some address
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Seems the server went down while I was on my honeymoon, sorry about that.

Also, the FF3 upgrade created some issues with adding the search. I corrected the errors and everything should be golden now for FF3.