Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: Need to know the percentage of people who wouldbuild/or have or plan to have ka24det
I have had a ka24de-t 55 11.43%
I currently have a ka24de and wish there was more support for it. 63 13.10%
I am planning on building a ka24de-t 142 29.52%
I preffer the sr20det. 221 45.95%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #31
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
AdamR, you never know. By never I mean like right now. Polls are part of research, and that is exactly what I am doing. The more people that use the ka-t the more demand for parts there are for it. Simple law of supply and demand, I am just trying to gauge the demand for these products.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
GeneralTso
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
GeneralTso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i think jap companies dont give two shits about the KA. they never had the motor so they aren't concerned with it when a stock 240sx/180sx/silvia, etc. comes with an sr20 or they have multiple swap options that have plenty o' options. But back on topic, had a ka, building an sr, would like to build and drive a ka-t, though. got an sr and some cash on a trade from my other s14.
GeneralTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #33
illvialuver
Post Whore!

illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Well your not a Japanese company.

Here is the reasoning.

If about half the people would like to build a ka-t, and the majority of japanese aftermarket parts are sold to the us market, then it would be viable for them to offer parts for the ka.

Yoshio factory actually imported a s13 with a ka and was building it for competition but didn't have enough time to complete the modifications and fabrications.

It would be the equivalent of a restaurant only selling meat and not selling salad, if you sell both , you increase the possibility of your profits, it is just casting the net wider.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #34
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Take a ka and add a t25 with 370cc injectors and enthalpy tune boosting 7lbs vs a stock sr boosting 7 lbs and the ka-t will be more fun. I prefer sr's because they run smoother. but i have love for ka-t's

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #35
illvialuver
Post Whore!

the only reason they run smoother is they have a fully balance rotating assembly, give that to a ka and you have your smoothness.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #36
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Well that's Nissan's fault then lol

Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
Scope240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Scope240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I have owned 2 240sx, one rs13 and currently own a s13. Both motors came with the ka24de & I love it! With very few aftermarket products you can really make the KA come alive! However the KA does fall flat after 5500 rpm, but has so much low end grunt! Bottom line if Tomei/trust/hks released parts strictly for KA-T, I would buy them & I would go KA-T, why not?
Scope240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Never had luck with KAs. As long as I have a 240 it will be SR powered.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Its funny, that most people that have issues with the ka, are simply doing it wrong. They will buy a reflash tuned ecu like nistun, romtun, entralpy whatever, then crank up the boost, on an engine that had 150k miles on it before they even decided to turbo it.

Or you will get some guys who just learned to change oil but want to take on the responsibility of changing a head gasket, and then they blow a head gasket and want to call the motor junk.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
hotlavaflow
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
hotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to hotlavaflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by illvialuver View Post
the only reason they run smoother is they have a fully balance rotating assembly, give that to a ka and you have your smoothness.
My rotating assembly is fully balanced and I say again, I love my KA-T. Hey I went through 3 motors before I got it right. 1 my fault (oil weight too light = spun bearing) 2 failures that added experience (snapped tensioner, popped wastegate line) but try going through 3 SR's, I'd feel sorry for your pockets.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
illvialuver
Post Whore!

^exactly^ the only reason guys in japan use sr20s is because it is cheaper to do so, because the damn thing comes with it.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #42
makinthatdough
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
makinthatdough is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love my kade i am going to turbo it soon once i get the funds i would love to have a reliable source for parts for the ka. honestly its stupid to put a illegal motor in your car if your gonna be daily driving it. especially the fact the ka has more torque and .4 more liters. thus can produce more power with equal upgrades. If japan started sourcing parts for the ka to america i think 240 owners would be very happy and we would see alot more turbo powered ka's around
Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #43
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Honestly, I prefer the SR for a few reasons.

The car was originally designed for it.
Two of my KA's have blown, not turbo'd..just stock, never drifted, just daily driven.
The SR does get more views in the aftermarket world I believe, but KA has a good share as well.
I prefer individual coilpacks rather than the distributer cap and coil setup.
The SR looks better.
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #44
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
I prefer the SR as well. Im lucky enough to live in an area with no inspections, smog, and all that other garbage that a lot of other people have to deal with.

If I were to live in California or another similar state, I would rather go KA.
silnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
illvialuver
Post Whore!

I currently know 3 people who have just bought 2 or more sr20 swaps from "reputable shops" and had them seize blow up or die, so much money, that is close to 5k each person for a stock s13 sr.

Long block sr20s are going for more than a grand now, money could be better spent getting off that JDM bandwagon and getting a ka-t setup. A proper one at that.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #46
sil80takashi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
sil80takashi is making a name for him/her selfsil80takashi is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
illvialuver, I know you from you know where lol

btw I went through x3 SR's on my Sil80 when I had it,
just went with the swap since it was KA24e single cam and leaking rear main seal.

initially got and Redtop front clip, chucked the rod out the side of the block,
so I ordered a Blacktop long block, it cam with a leaky valve train, smoked like hell.
So had it replaced with another one, and it was good but I sold the car by then.

later along I owned a S14 with S14 SR, it blew a headgasket, so I replaced it,
and couple months later it started to leak again... so I got tired of SRs and sold the car.

Now I don't have an S-Chassis, but if I were to go back (which I will prolly do),
I'd be interested in building an all motor KA24DE with mild cams.

So I'll go ahead to vote for second choice
see ya around

Last edited by sil80takashi; 05-31-2012 at 05:22 PM..
sil80takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #47
illvialuver
Post Whore!

I would like to add that the current price for a s13 sr long block is 13-1600 dollars.

Seriously? Talk about absurd. All the more reason to build ka24de to turbo status
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #48
illvialuver
Post Whore!

I would like to have 20 more votes or so.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #49
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
i think jap companies dont give two shits about the KA. they never had the motor so they aren't concerned with it when a stock 240sx/180sx/silvia, etc. comes with an sr20 or they have multiple swap options that have plenty o' options. But back on topic, had a ka, building an sr, would like to build and drive a ka-t, though. got an sr and some cash on a trade from my other s14.
btw they have the ka in japan as well. It is just in a truck.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

At least they got it right in Japan lol

Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #51
Guitar Nut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Guitar Nut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Guitar Nut
No lie, I would really like to turbo my KA. why? because I already have the engine. I have gotten many for free or under $100. I dont have to worry about trying to find another one in merica since most people get rid of them cheap to get an sr. I would be happy to buy a complete kit only if its at a good price not the super anal rape jdm tyte yo price. Not trying to spend an arm n leg on an engine that I am not going to fully build, but something I can go to the track on the weekends and still be able to daily drive around. Hope your poll goes well sir.
Guitar Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
illvialuver
Post Whore!

thanks.
I appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #53
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Eight more votes and I will have a nice even number to work with.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #54
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Why do you need other people's opinions to make a choice that you can make on your own? Ride on one of each. Pick what you like more. Done

Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #55
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Because like I said before it is not my decision complety and bigger companies dont want to take a risk ( even though to me, it is no greater risk than making sr20 parts). What I am up to will help the community, and give us more options. Thanks again to everyone for their feedback, it is appreciated.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #56
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
I plan going KA-T this year. I wish there was a wider supply of AFTERMARKET support for them. big ups on the poll and actually giving a shit! To all the people posting irrelevant shit... get the fuck out.

Im sure with proper aftermarket support and quality products and engine components you will see more and more KA / Ka-T out at local events and on the courses. Their easy to obtain and Require no modifications to the car itself.

Thanks again for caring about the Ka crowd
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #57
jpbpoway

jpbpoway is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by illvialuver View Post
yes but the difference between being an illigal ka-t and an illegal sr is that with the ka, you simply swap the manifolds/ put on your stock exhuast system and injectors and ecu and you can pass inspection, you dont have to pull the whole motor. plus the sr doesnt look like the stock motor, the ka does.
As a resident in CA this is exactly what I had in mind when it came time to smog. Now I'm currently in the middle of gathering parts for my turbo build after spending a year to rebuild the block itself with forged pistons, rods, and new valvetrain. Don't see what the fuss is about aftermarket availability between sr and ka, I found plenty of options with the ka. Maybe it's just the timing of when I got into the ka-t game that availability of parts is better than it was say 5 years ago >.>
jpbpoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #58
illvialuver
Post Whore!

yeah it has gotten better, but could still be better.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
silsx13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (34)
silsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silsx13
KA

KA all the way!

I have been racing in SCCA Solo2 events for the past 10 years along with doing drift events as well AND I have stuck with the KA for all that time.

My KA went through its various stages of mods where it was just stock to bolt-ons to Full NA build and now where it sits currently as a fully built KA-T motor.

The SR has its merits but for the types of racing I do, cost vs return ratio, power & torque numbers, powerband delivery, etc. the KA has fit the bill totally.

Blog: http://hartapexlife.blogspot.com/

silsx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #60
theboy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
theboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silsx13 View Post
KA all the way!

I have been racing in SCCA Solo2 events for the past 10 years along with doing drift events as well AND I have stuck with the KA for all that time.

My KA went through its various stages of mods where it was just stock to bolt-ons to Full NA build and now where it sits currently as a fully built KA-T motor.

The SR has its merits but for the types of racing I do, cost vs return ratio, power & torque numbers, powerband delivery, etc. the KA has fit the bill totally.
You obviously have never driven or purchased an sr if this is how you feel. Stock ka vs stock sr, sr is the better choice. Stock ka with t25 or t28 vs stock sr, sr still is better. Built ka vs mildly built sr, sr still is the better decision. The amount you spend a ka-t could be spent on an sr swap. With a much better return on investment. Stock sr's can handle a hell of a lot more than a ka. Plus its lighter, plus the aftermarket is bigger, plus its a shit ton more reliable.

After having a stock ka24e, then a ka24de, then ka24det, then built ka24det. My mildly built sr (head work, valves, lifters, cams, 2871r) was the best decision i have ever made. I saved $1000's going the sr route.

Oh and yes i autoX and drift the car. I also run high speed time attack and door to door. And with an sr i lost enough points to drop me into a class the car is competitive in, and not a bunch of fully built lotus elise's.
theboy is offline   Reply With Quote