Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
CleanAndLegit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
s13 The Fall and Rise of Rossalyn. S13 Coupe Build.

Alright, I think it's time I finally post one of these as I'm getting pretty close to finishing. Anyway I'll start off by introducing myself, My name is Max, I'm 20 years old, and I live in Moreno Valley, ca. I work at A&A General Maintenance, it's a local business here and i drive all around Southern California.

This all started, early/mid 2007 when I met a local here, who had an s13 coupe with a silvia front end. At the moment I saw his car I immediately fell in love with it, I got home that day to start research, and to find zilvia. I promptly made an account here socal240sx or something like that, I ended up forgetting the password to it.

Anyway, I went thru countless build threads, and D.I.Y.'s, trying to learn as much as I could to prepare myself. I then proceeded to start saving up cash to buy a s13 coupe, being young, impatient and REALLY STUPID, I bought a heap of crap. Although at the time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever, that might also have been because it was my first car in the end I went thru about 9 cars prior to these final two.

So, I'll start off with the original "ROSSALYN". The coupe was a 1993 SE model automatic that I got from the 2nd owner, everything on it worked, even the hud. I bought it for 800 bucks! Only downside to it was that it had front end damage, but that didn't matter to me as I had plans for a silvia front end anyway. Here's a picture of my old hatch and new coupe together.

So the first night I got the coupe, me and my buddy decided to swap over the coils and 5 lug from the hatch. Took us a good long while, surprisingly my neighbors didn't come out and yell at us for banging all night (; ahaha. The hatch not being what i wanted it to be, became obsolete in my eyes, so I sold it.

The next day my coupe got a front make over, drove all the way to l.a. without knowing if the little coupe would make it. Well it made it, we put the front end there at Johnathon's (groundperformance) house, and he kept my old stuff. On the way back, I stopped and met up some guy selling some D-max tail lights, so I slapped those on right then and there too. A few weeks passed and I collected Bomex sideskirts, Veilside rear valance, R32 gts-t wing, some xxrs and an aero bumper!

The car stayed like that for a long month, then! the inevitable happened ): I crashed. Luckily someone on zilvia was selling a whole front end dirt cheap! So that next day I drove out to East L.A. and picked it up. I ended up cutting out the core support and having Mario @ Arrow Performance weld me in a new support. I bought some Z32 calipers to help me stop when I need to!, and I cleaned up my engine bay a bit. Decided to go ka-t, then broke some exhaust studs. So I was going to swap the head with a freshly rebuilt head, but I ended breaking a camshaft and decided to part out. Funny thing is I had just barely bought brand new coils ):.

That was it for me (so I thought), I decided I didn't want to waste anymore money, so I gave the car away to two now good friends of mine Matt and Thao, who have built it to be one sick ass coupe.

after that i started cleaning up the engine bay

went ka-t in the process

and took some pics

"That was it for me (so I thought)"
About a month after I gave away my car, my buddies ka-t blew, and asked me if I pretty much wanted his shell, it had jic coils, a blown ka, and some random cool things. I turned him down at first, but my love for the car was too great, so I took it off his hands, and Rossalyn came into my life. Here is what it started as when my buddy got it, pretty much the same as when I took it, but running. 1993 base model, originally jade green.

Then I got it, right away I did the 5 lug swap, Z32 calipers, and put my wheels on. At the time I didn't know the ka had lost compression, so i started trying to get the motor to start. Obviously it didn't so I ripped it out, and took the head off to get rebuilt. Bought a motor dirt cheap and started to rebuild it.

While I was doing that I sent the car off to get painted by one of my neighbors. I can't seem to find the in between pics of it being painted. Well anyway I got the car back and put my motor in. I tried starting it but, i guess i had timing wrong, so it would not start. My dad's mechanic took a look at it and got to start, I was super excited about that.

I put it together that same night, and took it out for a test drive. Which was annoying at first since I was rushing and didn't burp the radiator. So I stopped at the gas station and did, after that it ran great with no issues. During the time it was down I bought a vertex front bumper, bn style sides(actually unknown), charge speed rear bumper, a seibon cf hood, and some origin d1 side view mirrors. I sold my wheels for a pair of gram lights, and a pair of dai wheels and the specs were somewhere around 17x9 +12 (don't remember) and 18x10.5+22.

I sold the gram lights got xxrs for the front and slammed it some more. I went to formula drift with my friends and showed at the slammed society showcase. By far the best experience I've ever had, Thanks Matt, Thao, and everyone else that I met that weekend.

On the way home from long beach, I ended up getting a flat halfway home. My buddy came thru with a spare for me to make it home.

Since I had the car in the garage, I decided to address a few issues I noticed on the way home. My car had been squealing due to the shitty belts, and also it overheated a bit due to a shitty autozone radiator cap. So I got all new belts, thermostat, water pump, wires, and did an oil change.

On the way home from, formula d I got stuck on a few gas station driveways. SO! It was time for some kind of lsd, so VLSD it was.
*Funny story, I went to san diego thinking it was a cusco 1.5way. So excited that I was getting a good deal I didn't even bother to look inside. When I got home and went to swap the diffs from pumpkin to pumpkin I saw I had gotten ripped off. Right away I got a hold of the guy and we worked everything out smoothly.

Last edited by CleanAndLegit; 01-20-2013 at 02:05 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Here you can see the open diff on the left and the vlsd on the right.

After all that got situated, I went to a buddy's house and started helping with body work.

also got dmax tails. So, eventually I fell head first, and went silvia front end. As much as I like the pop up lights, my heart was with what I always wanted.
So it happened! Well slowly, I first started with getting rid of my pieced together kit, and purchasing some type x side skirts, and a pair of s13 Silvia valances.

I sold my wheels, and bought Enkei Auto Couture wheels 18x9.5 +22, My specs with my set up are 18x9.5 -1 front with about -6 camber and 18x9.5 +17. I bought a pair of bricks I found on craigslist for dirt cheap. None of those hyped up fanboi prices. I also found an aero bumper missing one grill, and a few cracks but nothing irrepairable, for 200 dollars, which sure as hell beats these ridiculous 800+ prices we're seeing nowadays. I bought VIS 20mm front fenders and a VIS oem style cf hood, D-max corner lights, and D-max Front turn signals. I drove out to my friends house to go help with a few things and to get the rear camber dialed out. So I took some pics:

So, on the way home I decided to hit a local spot, since my rear camber had been dialed out back to -1. Sad to say, I wasn't thinking trying to drift with my car literally an inch off the ground. I hit a dip and destroyed my cross member, along with my front sway bar and tension rod brackets. So I decided to put my car down again, and start a full build.

As I'm the type of guy who likes having cool shit and my car looking cool, I decided to handle the exterior first. Being unhappy with the passive aggressive look of my car I bought a s14 kouki wing and replaced my old crappy trunk with a spare I had laying around. I also bought a D-max rear roof wing, a D-max hood. Needless to say i was extremely happy with the way the car was looking, During this time I let a friend borrow my wheels (which he kinda beat up) so now they'll be drift spares, and I'll be buying new wheels soon.

Last edited by CleanAndLegit; 10-03-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Man dude you know how to go through cars, but don't we all haha...Looking forward to seeing more, nice garage by the way!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by va240dude View Post
Man dude you know how to go through cars, but don't we all haha...Looking forward to seeing more, nice garage by the way!
aha yeah I was just very indecisive, and thanks! much more to be posted I just like typing it out then posting, my browser crashed earlier when I tried posting, was much nicer, Ill probably go back and organize it nice with headers and what not.

Last edited by CleanAndLegit; 10-03-2012 at 12:22 AM..
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
rednissan180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
rednissan180 is making a name for him/her selfrednissan180 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
haha your indecisiveness reminds me of myself
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I don't understand it. It's a black car. You couldn't take a little extra time to spray the new body panels black?

If you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Driven08
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (354)
Driven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfectionDriven08 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 354 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
I don't understand it. It's a black car. You couldn't take a little extra time to spray the new body panels black?

This is a build thread and he is addressing all the issues before he paints it again, which will be done last. He's not done posting. No need to jump to conclusions
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I hope he proves me wrong
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looks good OP...are you painting it black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven08 View Post
This is a build thread and he is addressing all the issues before he paints it again, which will be done last. He's not done posting. No need to jump to conclusions
I think he's talking about the fad of driving around with mismatch panels...could be wrong...
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Feeling this build, looks good so far!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
KravingAKouki
Zilvia Junkie

KravingAKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAndLegit View Post
is that a bride brix for passenger? and a vios 3 for driver?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Looking good bro, the car looks like it has come a long way. Keep it up, bump!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednissan180 View Post
haha your indecisiveness reminds me of myself
I've been getting that alot, thanks for viewing my thread

Quote:

The car is still under going changes as you can see, everything is being done right, no cut corners here.

thanks for viewing my thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven08 View Post
Exactly

Quote:
I hope he proves me wrong
I shall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
looks good OP...are you painting it black

I think he's talking about the fad of driving around with mismatch panels...could be wrong...
Yeah black is the way to go, atleast for me aha. If I do decide to change the color it will be the candy apple red thats on the hood and roof wing. I really wish I could paint it but, knowing me I want to wait till I'm completely done. So that way if I do change something I won't have to respray twice or twrice.
I'm not into that whole gutterslut look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofuhcka View Post
Feeling this build, looks good so far!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KravingAKouki View Post
is that a bride brix for passenger? and a vios 3 for driver?
its actually a zeta III and yes a bride brix for passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinggg View Post
Looking good bro, the car looks like it has come a long way. Keep it up, bump!
Thank you for the kind words man, I'm doing everything i can to make it happen. No ones hands but mine have touched it since I first got it. Trying to keep it that way with the exception of all the welding/painting stuff. I'll be attempting to stitch weld the rear end of the chassis but thats for another update (;

Anyway thank you all for viewing my thread

Last edited by CleanAndLegit; 10-05-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
jdm2191
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
jdm2191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
So far, so good....ready to see outcome
Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
NeedNewEngine

Trader Rating: (1)
NeedNewEngine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cant wait to see how it comes out and i stay in Moval as Well

I got a white hatchback
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
PG BOOSTED
Zilvia Junkie

PG BOOSTED is an unknown quantity at this point
Very Nice Car.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #17
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2191 View Post
So far, so good....ready to see outcome
Thanks man! , big post coming soon. Same with your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedNewEngine View Post
Cant wait to see how it comes out and i stay in Moval as Well

I got a white hatchback
Did you just get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG BOOSTED View Post
Very Nice Car.
Thank you!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
I bought a pair of bricks I found on craigslist for dirt cheap. None of those hyped up fanboi prices.
So true sometimes you can find better prices on CG. About 2 years ago I bought Z32 calipers with hardware, pads, conversion lines, and drilled rotors for $200

Quote:
Are those IS300 wheels up front? I thought they wouldn't fit our cars because those wheels' center bore is too small.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

.................edit.......ed

Last edited by CleanAndLegit; 10-03-2012 at 12:26 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant wait to see the engine get dropped!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
comablack783
Leaky Injector

comablack783 is on a distinguished road
Nice, im a sucker for pop ups but your sil front came out nice with that kit.. where did you get those coupe valances!?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
SharkMan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (28)
SharkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Good shit man, hopefully i'll see your ride in person. Talking to you before i had no idea you changed 240s like you change clothes. LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Front hugs or from behind hugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan240 View Post
The Black Star Ninja is my real father...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
So true sometimes you can find better prices on CG. About 2 years ago I bought Z32 calipers with hardware, pads, conversion lines, and drilled rotors for $200

Are those IS300 wheels up front? I thought they wouldn't fit our cars because those wheels' center bore is too small.
Good deal, and yeah the bore is too small, I was using spacers there to roll the car around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofuhcka View Post
Cant wait to see the engine get dropped!
Me either! I'm so excited I'm getting desperate to drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comablack783 View Post
Nice, im a sucker for pop ups but your sil front came out nice with that kit.. where did you get those coupe valances!?
Yeah I kind of regret doing the conversion but it had to be done. The valances I bought them locally, they are replicas, but the fitment is not to be doubted. GOOD QUALITY IS KEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkMan View Post
Good shit man, hopefully i'll see your ride in person. Talking to you before i had no idea you changed 240s like you change clothes. LoL
Aha thanks, and yeah soon when I'm finished. Yeah man, I was so indecisive, didn't know what I was doing, I'm set now though.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #24
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

(I'll be adding piece by piece.)

Anyway during the time that I was buying some of the exterior items, I also bought a bride zeta 3 with bride rails, a bride brix2 also with rails, a takata 6 point harness with gel pads, and a cusco cage with added door bars and harness bar. I got it black, painted silver and now deciding to powdercoat it back to its original cusco blue. Here's everything mocked up in the car, and a picture of where the seats and harness sit.

( I do not recommend people do this, as it will bend your rails a bit.)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

UPDATE!

Okay, on to the heart of this beast. After Formula D Long beach, I bought a sr motorset my friend had. He had spun 3 bearings, at the time I didn't know much about spun bearings. So as I learned I realized I made a mistake, the block was trash. Later I also found out the harness it came with was an ordinary ka24de harness so, I got very ripped off. Only good thing to this was that it came with Brian Crower 264/264 Cam Shafts, and Brian Crower springs and retainers. Only missing parts were the hot side which I didn't mind as I planned to buy a new turbo.

Picture of when I first got it.

Soon after, I decided to tear it apart and see if the head itself was good to go, WHICH IT WAS , Next was to map out everything I'd need so I proceeded to make a list, which started, went, and kept on going. I figured I should go all out since I had time.

Head:
S13.4 Valve Cover-
BC 264/264 Camshafts-
BC Springs and Retainers-
BC +1mm Oversized Valves Intake/Exhaust
Supertech Valve Stem Seals
Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers
Port And Polish
4 Angle Valve Job
Arp Head Studs

Block:
Weisco 86.5mm Pistons-
Eagle Rods
Clevite Main And Rod bearings
S13 Blacktop Oil pump-
S14 Oil Pickup
S14 water pump
Hot Tank/Deck/Bore/Hone-
Nismo Motor/Trans Mounts
Circuit Sports Pulleys
Unorthodox Main Pulley-
Circuit Sports Oil Pan
Clutch(still undecided)
Arp Rod Bolts

Turbo:
Gt2871r with .86 housing-
Stock Sr Mani With TIAL 38mm EWG-
Greddy 3inch Elbow-
Downpipe(dont know yet)
Exhaust(dont know yet)
Circuit Sports Oil And Coolant lines-
3inch Custom Intake With Blitz Air Filter

Extras:
Custom Setrab Oil Cooler W/Greddy relocation kit, -
Earls Lines and Fittings-
Custom Mid Mount -
Koyo N Flow Rad-
Samco Hoses-
Nismo 740cc Injectors-
Aeromotive FPR w/Marshall Fluid Filled gauge-
Walboro 255lph -
Mazworx Z32 Trans Setup/Z32 Trans.
Apexi Power Fc
Custom Tucked engine harness-

So I started piece by piece, ( I wanna be more detailed so I'll come back to this)........
.........Here's the so far outcome(dont mind the intake on there its a mock up piece)

And an engine bay picture with stuff mocked up

And a quick throw back of how nice my bay was before

Ill post more in a few.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #26
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

So the other day I got some pieces I thought I'd test fit and share with you guys

SUPER OMEGA UBER UBER ZOMGZILLA RARE SILVIA REAR MID CENTER VALANCE:

BOMEX:

I'm Debating on which I'll run but both will be painted.

And this picture came out bad ass so here

Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #27
wh0aitznic0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
wh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:

at first i was like eww

now i'm like O_O

bawse shit dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
wh0aitznic0 -- has or had a shocker sticker on his car at one point, is asian with a gooey white center

<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Nothing says, 'I'm broke and still trying', like aftermarket steelies.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
I kinda like the BOMEX one better with the rest of your aero...seems to flow better if the fitment is really good, but it's hard to tell on the shot of the rear.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #29
HiddenCharacter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HiddenCharacter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very nice, waiting for updates after your pink is up.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #30
xxcivic96xx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (14)
xxcivic96xx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
the bomex valance is mocked up
Closed Thread