Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:29 AM   #1
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
NissanRWD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CA Quietest electric fans?

Getting rid of the fan clutch and looked up common efans
Altima fans, taurus fans, isr fan shroud kit, mishimoto fan shroud kit

Reviews? Opinions?

Trying to find the quiet option here. I'd prefer the lowest price too but main priority is quiet.

Running stock KA if that means anything

Tired of that fucking truck ass sound.
NissanRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 AM   #2
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Text me 9792366891
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
FALs (Flex-a-lite) are a great fan. I've had mine since 2006 still running strong.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:50 AM   #4
dukiespice
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
dukiespice is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I've heard good reviews about mishimoto fans. They also sell a controller kit for the fans looks clean in the engine bay too. Pretty low prices imo.
dukiespice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
flex a lites I could tell when they kicked on...my altimas I can only tell cuz my idle drops and afrs go off a bit otherwise I have to look at them
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
95_S14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (108)
95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 108 reviews
Spal single 16in puller
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Alpod

Trader Rating: (1)
Alpod is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
flex a lites I could tell when they kicked on...my altimas I can only tell cuz my idle drops and afrs go off a bit otherwise I have to look at them
I actually have the opposite experience, my flex-a-lite fans are quieter than my previous setup of Altima fans. Blades are straight on the flex-a-lite fans, could be the difference?
Alpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO there is no reason to replace the mech. fan unless you are currently having temp issues or plan on running lots of boost for long periods of time. If your coolant system is good and you have a good aluminum rad then the stock mech fan should be more than enough. I have had a dual fan set up in the garage for about 8 years but never installed it because there was no need and it was more effort than it was worth. I only say that because having a good temp. controlled dual fan set up is more complicated than it may seem, and you will just be shifting the power demand from the mechanical pulleys to the electrical alternator. Sr are known to work alternators hard and need all the juice they can get for the coils. If you were to use fans the Altima fans are proven many times over, are easy and cheap to get, and require very little modification to bolt on. Most fan controllers are crap and just use little metal tabs to put in the radiator fins, or get signal from the stock sensors. To do it right you would need a temp sensor in the coolant where it left the engine and where it returned to the engine. It is possible to do and one controller that can do that is the Billion VFC, there might be other options nowadays.
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountPirate View Post
IMO there is no reason to replace the mech. fan unless you are currently having temp issues or plan on running lots of boost for long periods of time. If your coolant system is good and you have a good aluminum rad then the stock mech fan should be more than enough. I have had a dual fan set up in the garage for about 8 years but never installed it because there was no need and it was more effort than it was worth. I only say that because having a good temp. controlled dual fan set up is more complicated than it may seem, and you will just be shifting the power demand from the mechanical pulleys to the electrical alternator. Sr are known to work alternators hard and need all the juice they can get for the coils. If you were to use fans the Altima fans are proven many times over, are easy and cheap to get, and require very little modification to bolt on. Most fan controllers are crap and just use little metal tabs to put in the radiator fins, or get signal from the stock sensors. To do it right you would need a temp sensor in the coolant where it left the engine and where it returned to the engine. It is possible to do and one controller that can do that is the Billion VFC, there might be other options nowadays.
Well I replaced my fan clutch with oem nissan and gktech fan and it's too noisy to me, I enjoy the car less so my solution is to get electric fans for daily driving and keep the fan clutch for when I go to the track or something down the road.

I posted a thread on that problem but no one really cares and didn't get any real help so efans it is 😂

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Too loud? I'm surprised you can hear it over the sound of intake and exhaust. I'll do a proper dual efan set up using the Altima fans eventually down the road, but that's far down on my own priority list. Good luck.
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountPirate View Post
Too loud? I'm surprised you can hear it over the sound of intake and exhaust. I'll do a proper dual efan set up using the Altima fans eventually down the road, but that's far down on my own priority list. Good luck.
Stock exhaust and intake 😆

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #12
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have some Denso Fans that are off an Audi they are pretty quiet