Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
LuckyRPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
No injector pulse in a S14 SR20DET

Problem I am running into. I am not getting any injector signal/pulse to any of my fuel injectors. I have tested and confirmed the following.
I am getting 12v to each injector plug, Tested with an ohm meter.
I am not getting any injector plus, Tested with Noid light.
Fuel is flowing correctly in the fuel rail, inlet going through oppisit side of the fpr.
Timing is set correctly, both mecanical and CAS, verified many ways, also sprayed starting fluid into the intake and started the engine with it. Of course it did not stay running becasue the injotors are not spraying fuel.
I have tried 2 CAS both are known to be in good working order.
Replaced the plug on the CAS with a new one, and new pins, all connections are good, verified with Ohm meter.

This leaves me with thinking my ECU crapped out on me after sitting for the past year doing nothing which really should not be the case. If any one one else has a clue please cime in. Problem I am running into. I am not getting any injector signal to any of my fuel injectors. I have tested and confirmed the following.
I am getting 12v to each injector plug, Tested with an ohm meter.
I am not getting any injector plus, Tested with Noid light.
Fuel is flowing correctly in the fuel rail, inlet going through oppisit side of the fpr.
Timing is set correctly, both mecanical and CAS, verified many ways, also sprayed starting fluid into the intake and started the engine with it. Of course it did not stay running becasue the injotors are not spraying fuel.
I have tried 2 CAS both are known to be in good working order.
Replaced the plug on the CAS with a new one, and new pins, all connections are good, verified with Ohm meter.

Little more backstory info. This car was running just fine 1 year ago roughly. I missed shifted and redlined the piss out of the engine causing all the vavles to impact the pistons. I have since done a complete rebuild and have not touched or changed any electronics or sensors that were used when it went down.

This leaves me with thinking my ECU crapped out on me after sitting for the past year doing nothing which really should not be the case. If any one one else has a clue please cime in. I need to get this running today.

Once I find a solution to this I will post it incase some one else is having the same problem.

Right side (USDM Passenger side) Replica S13 OEM Silvia Aero Bumper Grill

S13 Silvia J's, Q's, K's, A's Bumper grill inserts.

Male Plugs for S15 headlights

PM me if you need them.
LuckyRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds ECU related. Can you smell anything fried down there. It's also easy enough to crack it open and see if there are any burnt or short circuits

Last edited by ultimateirving; 05-25-2015 at 07:48 PM..
ultimateirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Has the ecu run an engine since? if someone is willing to test the ecu for you could then rule it out or in.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Have not had the chance to sniff the ECU yet. ECU ran the car 1 year ago no problems, I have a friend with an S14 SR, his is in pieces right now. But IF I can hook up with him I will test with his ECU. Outside of him no one else in the Louisville KY area that I know that has an S14 SR20DET.

I will let everyone know when I find the solution even if it is me burning the car to the ground in frustration lol. JK I will find the cause, it can only be so many things. with patients I will find it.

PM me if you need them.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had an rb that wasn't getting injector pulse or spark. After trying multiple cas and rewiring the harness it ended up being the ecu. So thats what id look at. There was no visual damage or smell, it just didnt work.
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
economix
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had this issue about two weeks ago with my S14 SR in an S13 Chassis... Turns out it's usually wiring. The IGNITION wiring activates the injectors, but the ECU obviously plays a significant role. In my case, the wires were simply too loose - which when I researched was often the case. I'd recommend starting there.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Over all this post may be a bit premature. I will need to test out tonight or in the next few days depending on my schedule and weather permitting.

After talking with RS Empathy about the ECU, they says that they have never came across an ECU that had all 4 injector drivers crap out together. And the one person who can trouble shoot the ECU will be out for the next month.

Then I contacted Yury at Wiring Specialties asking about testing services to my engine harnesses. I also gave him a run down of what was going on and what I have tested and how. After a handful of emails with some probing questions from Yury, he feels the issue is related to the way I have my ground set up.

After further thought about what I have done to the car in the past year as it has sat waiting on the SR rebuild/build I see where I went wrong. I had a grounding strap in the hatch going to the body I thought was over kill. I removed it leaving the 15ft cable going from the trunk to under the hood as a direct ground to the battery. I need to set up a short Ground from the Battery to the thickest metal I can in the trunk/hatch area, and then the same thing from the engine to the engine bay. I really hope I can be driving this by this weekend. I will keep you all posted.

PM me if you need them.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lol, I always wondered why people run the ground to the trunk when they relocate the battery. I've seen it done twice, but they didn't complain about problems with charging or anything, that's the only issue I would assume could happen. Anyway hope that's it.

Sent from a Highly Tuned Note 4.5!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

I fixed the grounds as suggested, and removed the bad ground from the circuit. I pulled the ECU out and opened it up, nothing out of the ordinary. But I started eyeing the 2 blue relays that are right beside it off the engine harness. I tried a google search since I did not know what they did. It was not much help trying to find an answer on my little iPhone 4. Anyways I pulled them and visually inspected them. Then swapped their positions, and reinstalled the ECU. Cranked the engine and suddenly I had an injector pulse. After recieving another email from yury thos 2 relays are not EFI related, so it looks like a bad connection in the harness.

PM me if you need them.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRPS13 View Post
I fixed the grounds as suggested, and removed the bad ground from the circuit. I pulled the ECU out and opened it up, nothing out of the ordinary. But I started eyeing the 2 blue relays that are right beside it off the engine harness. I tried a google search since I did not know what they did. It was not much help trying to find an answer on my little iPhone 4. Anyways I pulled them and visually inspected them. Then swapped their positions, and reinstalled the ECU. Cranked the engine and suddenly I had an injector pulse. After recieving another email from yury thos 2 relays are not EFI related, so it looks like a bad connection in the harness.
Bad connectionss possible and easy diagnosis!!! Loose wires likely the cause of years of abuse from different swaps maybe. Definitely check the connectors and of course always tighten the ECU harness bolt down
Old 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

My harness definitely has seen better days. I opened up some of the loom to put in a new CAS plug, I found 4 splices in a single wire leading to the plug, not to mention each of the other wires having at least 2-3 splices right there as well... Then I have repaired a few pins to the ECU plug when I first did the swap. Old used stuff... I went ahead and purchased a new OEM type harness from Wiring Specialties. Should be shipped tomorrow, and here in 2-3 business days. that will take away that concern for me, and hopefully get the thing running. I am going to put a full day in on sunday I think to line out the other small stuff. I know I want to find a quailty Clutch master cylinder becasue the autozone/advanced auto/ (insert other parts store chain) fail over and over. I am open to suggestions

Anyways thanks for reading and all the suggestions, I will keep you all posted.

PM me if you need them.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Picked up my harness about 30 min ago. Looks great as you would expect from Wiring Specialties. I am hoping to have it on the car tonight and have it running. Also have a Wilwood clutch master cylinder and the adapter to mount it in my car out for delivery right now. Hopefully I will be on the road this weekend.

PM me if you need them.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Alright as promised, I have the solution for my issue. My engine harness was the problem. I installed a brand new Wiring Specialties engine harness. Started up first time no trouble shooting on te wiring or my electronics. I did learn that some one spliced in an unknown tps. Need to research that. But lucky for me I had the right tb and tps on hand.

Now that it is running I have a few more things to iron out that is typical of any engine swap/ rebuild.

I want to thank every one for their suggestions inputs and help trouble shooting. Yury thanks again for the countless emails and the exilent product so I could move on to the next thing.

PM me if you need them.