Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
ANVIL
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ANVIL can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
re-doing my wiring harness

so im in the middle of my winter build, and i decided im going to redo my engine and tranny wiring harnesses to make it cleaner (rb25det s13). im proabablly going to order from here:

https://www.wirecare.com/products.as...TN&prodline=ES

unless someone can show me somewhere cheaper.

my question is, how much and what sizes should i get? ive never done this before and not sure how much to order. post up some pics if you have done this before. thanks!
ANVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I would probably go with the clean cut fire retardant sleeving from techflex

https://www.wirecare.com/products.as...CP&prodline=ES

I've ordered from wirecare dozens of times, the shipping takes a few days or so maybe less for you since you're closer to jersey?

3/8 will be the most common size you will use for anything that has 3-4 wires, anything that has 2 wires and small connectors I can recommend the 1/8 but I warn you it requires patience like a mofo to slide that over some of the connectors.

the 1/2 should be good for anything going through the firewall... I have a size slightly larger than that not being used at all, complete waste imo. I didn't really use my brain when ordering some of these because I figured it would be exactly those sizes, but remember it works like a chinese finger trap so if you have a lot of wires running through it the sleeving can adapt to the size you need it to be.

1/8 is perfect for stuff like fuel injector wires and other really small plug wires.

3/8 is perfect for about everything else and will be a breeze to get over the de-pinned harness plug ends. Otherwise it requires trickiness and finesse to get those fuckers through 1/8 sleeving.

I got lazy with the stuff behind the firewall but I want to make sure it all works before I remove that last bit of wire.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
kuruptR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
kuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kuruptR
I used it, I don't recommend using it for any wire that will be exposed to the elements. Great for interior, but outside water and dirt gets in there makes a mess. Do not use it to pass through firewall either, water will pass through it and get into your cabin.
kuruptR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruptR View Post
I used it, I don't recommend using it for any wire that will be exposed to the elements. Great for interior, but outside water and dirt gets in there makes a mess. Do not use it to pass through firewall either, water will pass through it and get into your cabin.
Surprise water and dirt get inside of the stock plastic covers and spiraled electric tape as well. I've ran through two bottles of electronics cleaner myself to know that...

The front passenger harness has a foam sealant in it's firewall plug which i've been having a bitch of a time breaking apart to run my fusebox wires in the cabin... So it's probably a good idea if you're fucking with anything that comes in contact with water to seal it the same way they did from the factory with some water proof foam insulation...

As for the firewall in the engine getting submerged or water getting in the car... unless you're pressure washing your firewall I don't understand how any water gets in a cabin at all from there. If anyone had sense they would run their under tray or an aftermarket one to keep dirt and shit out of the engine bay.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would advise you to order more length than you think you will ever use too. I've had to re-up twice so far. I hate waiting on deliveries.
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
how much do guys recommend to buy for an engine harness and lower harness
xdumbxguyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I literally have 75 feet of 1/8 and havn't used 50 percent of it. however my 50 feet of 3/8 went up in smoke! I ordered another 50 feet.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
so about 100 ft of 3/8", 25 ft of 1/2", 25ft of 1/8" should be good?
also which shrink tubing do u guys use 3:1?
and for like example of the 3/8" shrink tubing would be used on the 3/8" or would u use the 1/2" shrink tubing for the 3/8ths?
xdumbxguyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You want to get shrink tubing that is going to shrink to a size smaller than your sleeving so it fits nice and tight. 3:1 is fine.

More info here too.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/231769...-q-thread.html
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
deuceforty
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
deuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
any advice on how to depin the connectors?

TWO TONE COUPE FS NC
deuceforty is offline   Reply With Quote