Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #241
hpipro4
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (71)
hpipro4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 71 reviews
ya i bought stuff frm them bfore. i mainly use 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2
hpipro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #242
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
justinbyrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ok cool, last questions lol did you use a hot knife to cut it? i had someone tell me you could seal the braided stuff with a heat gun? and did you just use shrink wrap to end the wires
justinbyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #243
hpipro4
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbyrant View Post
ok cool, last questions lol did you use a hot knife to cut it? i had someone tell me you could seal the braided stuff with a heat gun? and did you just use shrink wrap to end the wires
nah just use scissors n heat shrink at the end.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #244
dpritchard4
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
dpritchard4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
so being a rookie at this, ive finally found the differences between the two harnesses, which may or may not be a big deal, really depends on what your doing with the car. the next step is determining whats needed with an sr swap.

dpritchard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #245
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpipro4 View Post
nah just use scissors n heat shrink at the end.
I just heated the end of a paint scraper and pressed the sleeving over the hot edge. Homemade hot knife FTW.
Otherwise, heat shrink over all ends to prevent fraying and future wire diagnosis without an act of congress. I like how clean it looks so I will just deal with the headache later on down the road.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #246
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

well i got my engine harness all done up now im moving on to the engine bay harness that goes around the outside, it seems pretty straightforward doesnt look to difficult however has anyone found out if some of the relays for the pop ups can be condensed somehow? since there is like 6 of them and a couple fuses
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #247
xiteamxi

xiteamxi is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=dpritchard4;4490188] the next step is determining whats needed with an sr swap. -also interested in this if you have to change plugs or any thing before i get it done then have to tare back into it, also interested in how to eliminate the relays for the flip ups and ac.
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #248
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

well i got mine all done and running good, i will post some pics up in a few days, i did basicly the same thing hpipro did except i mounted my fuses in my blovebox upsaide down and i didnt link mine, i ran one for key on power and one for constant power with an inline alt fuse, condensed all my relays and put them in the stock relay box that goes under the stock air intake box and put that behind my ecu where the cruise control ecm usually goes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #249
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Started working on the chassis harness, so far i got the fuse/relay panel done.
Need to get some hardware,and order the right size female conectors (they shipped the wrong size) and then i will have the panel all done.
i will keep updating as i go.

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

lay out

JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #250
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
You have 10 circuits total? I'll give you a hint, you don't need 10 relays.

I dig that people are tackling these projects and do their research on what to buy/etc, and do a good job making the panels/harnesses... but the design is the most important part!! Proper diagramming means that you know EXACTLY what is on each circuit, and design each circuit for maximum functionality with the minimum number of parts (among other things)... that's where a lot of your reliability comes in.

Serviceability is next, make sure you're not throwing those panels some place where they're going to be stepped on or get wet or whatever, but lets make sure you can get to them (preferably while strapped in) if you need to check something.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #251
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
You making complete rewire kits yet?
I would really rather give you my money than chasebays. My business partner agrees.

Ill take just an engine bay harness for now.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #252
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
You making complete rewire kits yet?
I would really rather give you my money than chasebays. My business partner agrees.

Ill take just an engine bay harness for now.
I don't know what you mean by 'complete rewire kits', like kits so you can make your own harness? I've provided them, but no one's ever finished one to my satisfaction. Most end up coming in (along with competitor's harnesses) for us to troubleshoot/finish.

If you mean a complete chassis harness, yes, we've been doing a couple a month along with our other stuff for the past few years actually. Every Formula D car you see with a Jordan Innovations sticker has at least a chassis harness by us. Let me know what you want to do with your bay (in PM or email) and I can go over some options.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #253
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
Sounds good. I just remember mentioning that I was planning on doing something similar to chasebays and you told me the cost to do it myself would be similar. I thought I remembered you saying something about you guys making something along those lines (cabin and engine OEM replacements) maybe I was mistaken.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #254
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
You have 10 circuits total? I'll give you a hint, you don't need 10 relays.

I dig that people are tackling these projects and do their research on what to buy/etc, and do a good job making the panels/harnesses... but the design is the most important part!! Proper diagramming means that you know EXACTLY what is on each circuit, and design each circuit for maximum functionality with the minimum number of parts (among other things)... that's where a lot of your reliability comes in.

Serviceability is next, make sure you're not throwing those panels some place where they're going to be stepped on or get wet or whatever, but lets make sure you can get to them (preferably while strapped in) if you need to check something.
Thanks Jordan, this is my first time doing something like this so any input from you guys will help.
so far im only using 8 of the relays.
quick question, for the wipers im using only Low/High speeds do i need to run 2 relays?

thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #255
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
Sounds good. I just remember mentioning that I was planning on doing something similar to chasebays and you told me the cost to do it myself would be similar. I thought I remembered you saying something about you guys making something along those lines (cabin and engine OEM replacements) maybe I was mistaken.
Selling you a kit is almost as expensive as having us do it, correct. We've been replacing 100% of the OEM wiring with custom setups for years and years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadacolor View Post
Thanks Jordan, this is my first time doing something like this so any input from you guys will help.
so far im only using 8 of the relays.
quick question, for the wipers im using only Low/High speeds do i need to run 2 relays?

thanks
No relays on wipers, each stage (low and hi are just two halves of the same motor's windings) only draws 5 or 6 amps. Supply power to one wire, the other two ground through the stock switch (or your own SPDT switch).

Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #256
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Selling you a kit is almost as expensive as having us do it, correct. We've been replacing 100% of the OEM wiring with custom setups for years and years...

No relays on wipers, each stage (low and hi are just two halves of the same motor's windings) only draws 5 or 6 amps. Supply power to one wire, the other two ground through the stock switch (or your own SPDT switch).
Thanks man!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #257
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
I love how this thread begins with instilling confidence that i can do this myself, and by the end, im just thinking ahhh fuck jordan will do it ooo much better
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #258
fearlessKouki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
fearlessKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
does anybody know if it is possible to use 96 s14 fuse box harness in 97 kouki? need to know asap! thanks alot
fearlessKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #259
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Is it ok to remove the relays and assoiated wires related to the H/L RET as its marked on the fuse box lids? Theres 3 in the driver side fuse box and 1 in the passenger fuse box. Just want to make sure my headlights will work if I remove all these un-needed wires?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #260
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
I love how this thread begins with instilling confidence that i can do this myself, and by the end, im just thinking ahhh fuck jordan will do it ooo much better
Lol don't know how I missed this, but that's rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessKouki View Post
does anybody know if it is possible to use 96 s14 fuse box harness in 97 kouki? need to know asap! thanks alot
It's OBD2 so a lot of stuff will be there, but not always in the correct spot, and the headlight stuff is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
Is it ok to remove the relays and assoiated wires related to the H/L RET as its marked on the fuse box lids? Theres 3 in the driver side fuse box and 1 in the passenger fuse box. Just want to make sure my headlights will work if I remove all these un-needed wires?
You can remove them and the headlights will still work (headlights have two power wires going to the switch and 4 wires coming out of the switch - that's it), but retract won't.

If you're still popup, there are ways of wiring the motors to a simple DPDT switch, but you're relying on the motors internal limiters to cut current at the top and bottom. The factory design is safer, but not very elegant.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #261
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

You can remove them and the headlights will still work (headlights have two power wires going to the switch and 4 wires coming out of the switch - that's it), but retract won't.

If you're still popup, there are ways of wiring the motors to a simple DPDT switch, but you're relying on the motors internal limiters to cut current at the top and bottom. The factory design is safer, but not very elegant.
Thanks for getting back on this, sorry for not being more specific, my car has an s15 front end so the pop ups aren't needed anymore. Trying to get this mild wire tuck finished. This is definitely tedious.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #262
240Cali
Premium Member

240Cali is an unknown quantity at this point
Def gonna be hitting up Jordans for a fuse box Relocate.. 'ISH looks CLEAN!!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #263
fast250sx
Leaky Injector

fast250sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Most of the time, this is what I use ~

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

$2, I buy their whole stock whenever I go lol.
I can never find these in the store, or on line for that matter.
fast250sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #264
hpipro4
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast250sx View Post
I can never find these in the store, or on line for that matter.
their on the soldering iron aisle.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #265
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

I know im reviving a 4 year old thread but I just want to see where everyone is at with their wiring and if anyone went further than they were discussing on here

this was mine when I was finished with the wiring with the ka in it
FB_IMG_1469129015098[1].jpg

and with my almost completed sr swap, engine harness will be tucked and reran after I get it running, AN fittings and lines on the way for my fuel rail, have a AN power steering setup, and a AN blowby setup going in as well
20160115_183343.jpg
Old 07-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #266
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I tucked my entire s13 engine bay harness with both boxes under the dash and the only wires I modified was extending the wires to the headlights lol. Other than that I just routed the entire oem harness and boxes under the dash. Ghetto but it works and I only had to modify a couple wires. This is on my track car with no climate parts under the dash though.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #267
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

I ran all mine through the dash to but Im still running full interior so it was a pain in the ass lol I was able to delete and consolidate some stuff though, its amazing the things Nissan did with these cars, for example the windshield wiper amp box (little green box that sits behind the strut tower on either side of the engine bay) depending on if the car has abs or not the box sits on the driver or passenger side, if the car has abs its on the driver side, instead of running the wiring through the dash and shortening it they run it all the way around the engine bay so just removing abs and running the box back to the passenger side removed a bundle of wires the size of a quarter from both sides of the engine bay above the wheels

FB_IMG_1469469430618.jpg

FB_IMG_1469469437529.jpg

FB_IMG_1469129302874.jpg

FB_IMG_1469129327694.jpg

FB_IMG_1469129463732[1].jpg
Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #268
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My 240 is non-abs and the green wiper box was on the driver side of the engine bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbyrant View Post
if the car has abs its on the driver side
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #269
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
My 240 is non-abs and the green wiper box was on the driver side of the engine bay...
hmmm must be a year thing then or something I have had 3 or 4 and the box has always been on the driver side if it has abs and passenger side if it doesn't I always assumed it was just because the abs unit sits in that spot on the passenger side, are you sure yours is a non abs car and that someone didn't delete the abs prior to you owning it?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #270
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
cool thread.
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote