Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #31
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I also figured I would use this thread to keep track of my other builds and have everything in one place so here is a update on my other two 240 builds starting with the two-tone!

I had been using the two-tone as a daily for awhile so progress has been super slow but I figured I would give an update.

First up I got a awesome deal on a Silvia front that I couldn't pass up. It also was a great way to get rid of the giant hole in the stock piggy bumper from the previous owner rear-ending a trailer hitch.

I also scored a great deal on some Battle Version tension rods so those went on.

Ended up doing rear suspension and installing some Silk Road coils while I was at it. The Silk Roads are old but are still in fantastic shape and I love the way the ride, I don't think I'll ever get rid of them lol.

Got this awesome wheel from Pink Godzilla when they were having a sale. It was cheap but I love how it feels and I think it gives the interior a classy look.

I also ended up trading my go pro for a set of Super Advan Sa3r's that I think fit the car very well.

So at this point I was pretty happy with the car and getting ready to take it in for paint and have the 1/4 damage from the previous owner repaired when the Ka decided it wanted to let go on my way to a friends house.

So in need of a new motor I went to a few of the local importers and stumbled across this.

Also found a pic from back when both cars were actually running

I still have to do the 60K service on The CA18 and order a WSP harness but I should have it up and running in a couple weeks. I'm super excited since I've owned most of the other Nissan motors but this is my first CA so its something new. The motor is STUPID clean too.

Last edited by Rustys14; 01-18-2014 at 12:38 PM..
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #32
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Since I'm on a roll here I guess I'll also introduce the newest member of my collection and my new beater car, the purple turd! The car started as a free shell that I got in a trade for one of my old exhausts. It was a mess when I got it, there was no interior, it had one 5 lug hub, and someone had hacked up all the wiring trying to do a shitty wire tuck. I probably should have passed up the trade but who can say no to a free shell? Especially when you have two other 240 projects that still require a bunch of work and time.

What it looked like when I got it

I was originally going to just part it out but I realized I had pretty much everything I needed to get it running. 100 Drifters was coming up in 2 weeks so I decided to try to get it together so I could drive in the event. I put new rings in the old single cam from the hatch, paired it with the trans from the blown motor in my coupe and had the car up and running within the week. Fortunately (for me anyway) my friend had just rolled his coupe so after pulling the SR, I took the shell and used it as a parts car to get this one into somewhat drivable condition.

The parts coupe

I threw the interior and coils from the parts coupe onto the new car and got it looking halfway decent. I also put the squares from my hatch on it since I have more baller wheels in the works for that car. Here's how the car looked 10 days after I got it (we busted ass to get this thing ready in time for 100 DOD).

Really crappy engine bay pic

Since I hate flat black and the car was kind of embarrassing to drive, I decided to take it to MAACO since they were offering their $250 paint special. I wanted something different but still a OEM color so I had it sprayed Lavender Frost Metallic (Nissan LG1). It came out surprisingly good and I'm stoked on the color. Here's some pics my friend took on the way back from paint.

After paint I did the single best thing that I could have done to the car and removed all the fanboy stickers from the previous owner.

The car needed brakes really bad so I got some zinc plated rotors and pads for cheap and put them on.

Got the car aligned and ready for the event.

Put in the interior from the rolled shell and a ebay steering wheel. Also installed some gauges and moved my bride seat over to it.

Up until now everything was going awesome, the car was about done and it looked like I was going to have something to drive at 100 DOD but after I welded the diff and took it for a test drive the day before the event, it started to develop really bad fuel cut issue when taking left turns. Turned out to be a faulty wire leading to the fuel pump relay caused by the previous owners wire tuck attempt but I found out too late and had to sit out at 100 Drifters.

At this point I debated selling the car for a while but after I got the fueling issue sorted, I figured I might as well keep it for a bit longer and bought some parts to make it into a decent car. I actually just finished installing some DNA motoring suspension arms today that I got in the Zilvia special last week. They're cheap and are standard ebay type arms but will work fine for the purpose of this car.

Arms installed

From here I just need to install my new steering rack and energy rack bushings and this car will be pretty much complete. I'm into it for slightly less then $2000 total right now, which I don't think is too bad at all haha.

As always feel free to let me know what you think of any of my projects. Good or bad I don't care any feed back is welcome!

Last edited by Rustys14; 02-16-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #33
JZ78
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JZ78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just finished reading your thread. Nice projects you got going on! If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on the g6's?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #34
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ78 View Post
I just finished reading your thread. Nice projects you got going on! If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on the g6's?

Thanks man! The squares are 17x9 +15 and I usually run 215/45/17 tires on them.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #35
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Jesus christ... Traded a GoPro for Super Advans and exhaust for a shell? Then got the shell running, painted, and drift ready a few weeks later?

Damn. I will never be that good.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #36
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Figured I would do a small update since I have been working on the cars a bit over the last couple weeks.

I've focused mostly on my purple coupe lately since that seems to be the car I have been the most motivated to finish; probably because its the only one that's currently running haha.

Anyway the car was in dire need of a new steering rack (it was actually sketchy to drive) so I went ahead and ordered a re-manufactured unit from Detroit Axle on eBay. After several delays due to weather problems it finally arrived.

So new and clean!

I also figured I would do some energy rack bushings while I at it since the factory ones were beyond shot.

Replacing the rack is one of those things that isn't too hard but is messy and sucks a lot to do. It took me about 45 mins to wrestle the old rack out.

Small tip for anyone who is going to do this themselves: its much easier to remove and replace the rack if you take the transmission braces off the block.

Old vs. New

After getting the new rack in and doing a eyeball alignment, I took it to Nissan for my friend to align. The adjustable suspension arms allowed us to play with the ride height a bit and get all the rake dialed out.

The new ride height in the rear. We we originally had it tucking rim but tucking 17s looked kind of stupid and gave the car some reverse rake which I cant stand lol.

I also got some new red clear taillights for the car since they were stupid cheap and I wasn't a fan of the smoked lights that came with the shell.

And installed on the car (Yes, I know I need a trunk lock lol)

Random pic from when I picked up some sideskirts for a friend on one of my parts runs. I couldn't help testing them on my car lol. I usually don't like bodykits or anything that isn't oem aero on these cars, but I have to admit that they look pretty awesome.

I also started tearing down the CA18 for my two-tone and got it on the stand.

I was super happy to find that it still had the OEM clutch with plenty of meat on it.

I still need to do the 60K service before I can reassemble everything and drop it in the car.

That's about all for now. Expect some big updates on all of my cars in the near future when the weather warms up a bit. I always suffer from serious lack of motivation when its cold haha.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #37
Silviastunter
Leaky Injector

Silviastunter is an unknown quantity at this point
That lavender coupe though... Amazing what paint can do.
Silviastunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #38
dat925stunna
Zilvia Junkie

dat925stunna is an unknown quantity at this point
lovin it so u got 2 coupes now?

The heep S14
dat925stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #39
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviastunter View Post
That lavender coupe though... Amazing what paint can do.
Yeah man, paint makes all the difference in the world lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat925stunna View Post
lovin it so u got 2 coupes now?
Yeah, I have the 2 coupes and my hatch right now which is honestly way too many 240s haha.

I'll probably sell off the hatch and my purple coupe sometime next year to get a skyline or put a down payment on a new IDX if I like the production version. I've always wanted a R32 but there's also a large portion of me that doesn't want another 20+ year old Nissan with the steering wheel on the wrong side lol.

Last edited by Rustys14; 02-16-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #40
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow! That Purple came out nice! Did u bother to do anybody work on it like the hatch? Or did u just take it down there and let them do their thing?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #41
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin'eight-nine View Post
Wow! That Purple came out nice! Did u bother to do anybody work on it like the hatch? Or did u just take it down there and let them do their thing?
I just took it to them and let them do their thing. Honestly it didn't come out nearly as good as the hatch did but I'm still very pleased with it. There is a decent amount of orange peal and some imperfections here and there but I can't really complain. The only extra thing that I had them do on this car was fix the rusted out rocker panel on the driver side since they said they could do it for around a $100 bucks. At the end of the day the paint and rust repair (the rust was pretty bad too) cost me a whopping $369.99 out the door, which cheaper then what the materials would cost If I did it myself haha.

In other news, I was going to try and get some more work done on the cars this weekend but I am currently dealing with this mess. Its been awhile since we got this much snow in VA.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #42
JZ78
Leaky Injector

JZ78 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll take some of that snow!!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #43
kkaleher
Leaky Injector

kkaleher is an unknown quantity at this point
The cost of these builds is amazing! subscribed! keep up the good work. And yeah im so sick of winter/snow!!!!
kkaleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #44
Kwolfe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Kwolfe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Awesome builds, lavender is rad.
Kwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #45
TannerV

TannerV is an unknown quantity at this point
Loving the hatch build man, pretty much sums up my build plans to a T, wheel , wheels aero and all haha. Wish i had the space to make it happen as fast as you did, lookin good
TannerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #46
TannerV

TannerV is an unknown quantity at this point
Loving the hatch build man, pretty much sums up my build plans to a T, wheel , wheels aero and all haha. Wish i had the space to make it happen as fast as you did, lookin good
TannerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #47
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
fucking sick man
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #48
ZenkiDeven19
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ZenkiDeven19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sickkkkkk

Such a sick build bro, im trying to aquire a s13 coupe atm man. Ive had a hard time finding one, I was so close on saturday but it got bought out from underneath my nose...I almost cried.
ZenkiDeven19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #49
schoja
Leaky Injector

schoja is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't get over how sexy that steering wheel is
schoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #50
timandytimandy
Leaky Injector

timandytimandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Love these builds!
timandytimandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #51
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

So I've made some progress and figured I would do a quick update.

First up, I got the Ka-t setup finished in my hatch! The only problem is that it still doesn't run because its not getting any spark I've traced it to either the distributor or ecu though so I should get everything sorted soon. I still need to clean it up a bit but it came out pretty good (missing some parts in this pic but you get the idea).

I also messed around with the purple coupe a bit to get it ready for the track this season.

I got a crazy good deal on a harness bar that I couldn't pass up so I went ahead and ordered it.

How it came:

And installed (sorry for the glare):

Also got a baller harness to go with it haha.

Interior looking fresh:

Now before anyone says anything about the safety of the harness/bar setup without a cage, I am fully aware of the dangers involved. I went with this setup more to hold me in better on the track then for safety reasons. The harness is properly wrapped and I use the oem 3 point belt on the street, plus none of the tracks I slide at have a high risk of rollover so it should be more then safe for my needs.

I also put on some cheap strut tower bars that I had laying around, not sure how much they'll do but I figured I might as well use them lol.

And installed (also think this is the first decent engine bay pic of this car):

Not really related to my cars but I went to the local importers to help pick out a sr swap for my friends new shell on Saturday. We were there for a few hours and after going over several sub par swaps ended up with this.

I usually have reservations about buying a modded swap but this one was extra clean and the price was right so we went ahead and scooped it. When we got it back we cracked it open and found this.

It has about 90% life left in it so we were pretty stoked!

I'll be helping him with the swap this weekend so I probably won't get to do much work to my cars but I should have my hatch up and running shortly either way. That's about all I got for now, big updates to come once I get the hatch running!

Last edited by Rustys14; 03-19-2014 at 04:41 AM..
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #52
ZenkiDeven19
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ZenkiDeven19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good update bro!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
ZenkiDeven19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #53
rangerjavi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
rangerjavi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Waiting to see more progress on that CA18.

Being a Floridian is a birth right!
rangerjavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #54
izzy-
Zilvia Member

izzy- is an unknown quantity at this point
subbed
10 char
izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #55
CL2@

CL2@ is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice looking builds man! I'm also in Northern Va, and I'm in the market for an s13. I would love to snatch that hatch from you, I'm trying to do my first 240 build. Pm me if you're interested!
CL2@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #56
Purestock240
Zilvia FREAK!

Purestock240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had 2 original lavender frost cars. and low budget stuff is cool.

thumbs up
Purestock240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #57
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Which importer in NoVA did ya'll go to?
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
blksylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #58
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL2@ View Post
Nice looking builds man! I'm also in Northern Va, and I'm in the market for an s13. I would love to snatch that hatch from you, I'm trying to do my first 240 build. Pm me if you're interested!
Shoot me a pm with a offer if your serious, that goes for all my cars. I'm not really looking to sell but I'm willing to let stuff go for the right offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksylv View Post
Which importer in NoVA did ya'll go to?
We went to JEI. I prefer them them to the other shops in the area because Phil (I think that's his name) is by far the most knowledgeable and least shady importer in the area. I've bought a good amount of parts from him over the years and never had a problem with any of his stuff. I know for a fact that he actually tests his motors too instead of just writing 180psi on the fan like most of the other local shops haha.

I got my ca18 from Nagano and haven't discovered any issues with it (its by far the cleanest ca18 I have ever seen for sale) but a few of my friends have had issues with motors that they got from there (blown head gaskets etc.) so I try to avoid them if I can. I know for a fact that they didn't compression test my CA because the coilpacks and plugs had obviously not been removed for a VERY long time lol.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #59
rangerjavi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
rangerjavi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Not mines but thought you would be interested in these for your coupe with the Sil front: http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=527361

Being a Floridian is a birth right!
rangerjavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #60
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

I'll Just leave this here...